Super Bowl

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Doug Kidwell
Eclipse Champion

Post by Doug Kidwell »

Paul Heinrich wrote: The Vikes running game and defense could very well be Ravens circa 2000-01 good.
I could see the run game being as good as the Raven's in the 00-01 season if Peterson can manage to stay healthy but the defense. Come on now that was one of the greatest if not the greatest defensive seasons ever. I know you are just pulling for your team and I live in Baltimore but I doubt we will ever see a defense that great again.
Paul Heinrich
Hall of Fame

Post by Paul Heinrich »

dougkidwell wrote:
Paul Heinrich wrote: The Vikes running game and defense could very well be Ravens circa 2000-01 good.
I could see the run game being as good as the Raven's in the 00-01 season if Peterson can manage to stay healthy but the defense. Come on now that was one of the greatest if not the greatest defensive seasons ever. I know you are just pulling for your team and I live in Baltimore but I doubt we will ever see a defense that great again.
Hey, we're still a few weeks away from the pre-season games. Hope springs eternal! :lol:

In all seriousness, you're right. That team was among the best defensive teams ever.
"They're not going to kick me out." - Tim Matthews
A.R. Roberts

Post by A.R. Roberts »

:wacko:

If the Vikings give up an average of 10.31 points a game, and have 4 shutouts, I will come eat as much crow as you can serve me.

On top of that, if in the playoffs they can hold teams to 3 points twice, and under 10 points in each game(23 points in four games total)I will become a Viking fan for life.

A few facts about the 2000 Ravens Defense;

- Fewest points allowed during a 16-game season, ever.
- Fewest rushing yards allowed, ever.
- Finshed the season number one in both yards allowed and points allowed.

I just find it very hard to believe that the Vikings D will be that good. That's not to say I don't feel they won't be a good squad.

P.S. - On top of that, I doubt they will even be as good as the 1971 Minnesota Vikings Defense.
Leonard Beagle
Hall of Fame

Post by Leonard Beagle »

And the Vikes D does get to go up against the Falcons once and the Bears twice.
That would help any team's defensive stats!
Tim Matthews
Hall of Fame

Post by Tim Matthews »

Matt Wilson wrote:
Paul Heinrich wrote:
Leonard Beagle wrote: I've gotta love your passion about your team Tim,but the player that must carry this team is Peterson.
And opposing teams are going to key on stopping him. I just don't see Jackson being talented enough for this team to win more than 8 games,

And that won't get them in the playoffs.

Leo
I'm going to go ahead and back up Tim here, and just reiterate - Trent Dilfer.

Seriously, the only thing that needs to happen is that Jackson matures to the point where he understands how NOT to lose the game. The Vikes running game and defense could very well be Ravens circa 2000-01 good.
Jackson is no Trent Dilfer. They're actually almost opposites. Dilfer could do nothing extraordinary, no real talent, but he was smart.

Tarvaris is an idiot.

I think the Vikings have some skill, but they're not ready to compete with the Packers. Only way to beat the Pack right now is throw on them with a good QB...Harris and Woodson will jump Jackson's routes all day. And they BOTTLED up Peterson. It was so cool.

That said - I think Sidney Rice is a beast. With a good QB, he's a legitimate #1....and Berrian sucks.
2 words: Eli Manning.
Who expected him to win a super bowl? Who expected the Giants to be any good?
Who expected Eli manning to be even an ok QB last year?
No one.
Look what he accomplished.
But most of all, what carried him to the super bowl?
A great d-line. They put TONS of pressure on opposing QBs which is why Brett Favre and Tom Brady stunk horribly in the NFC championship game and Super Bowl. The Giants also had a great run game towards the end of the season.
Adrian Peterson is awesome.
Jared Allen is awesome.
Bernard Berrian does not suck. 71 catches for over 900 yards with Rex Grossman at QB is WAY better than suck level.
Trent Dilfer sucks so much more than Tavaris that it is unimaginable. Sorry.
Got bombed, got frozen
Got finally off to finally dozin’
IsaP

Post by IsaP »

Have to put in an obligatory "Woohoo Panthers". Though not my favorite, they're one of the teams I do root for.
Paul Heinrich
Hall of Fame

Post by Paul Heinrich »

Haha, Tim we are awesome. Complete homer fans, and I think it's great!
"They're not going to kick me out." - Tim Matthews
Tim Matthews
Hall of Fame

Post by Tim Matthews »

Ha! Internet high-5 Paul!
Got bombed, got frozen
Leonard Beagle
Hall of Fame

Post by Leonard Beagle »

Tim,I would also point out that the difference between Dilfer and Jackson is about the same between Eli and Jackson.

Eli is as much better than Jackson than Jackson is better than Dilfer.
Friedrich Barbarossa
Hall of Fame

Post by Friedrich Barbarossa »

Head says Pats, heart says Seahawks. So I'll pick neither and take Dallas despite the fact that I think their QB takes WAY too many chances with the ball.

Re: Tavaris. I could maybe see it if the Vikes defense is in fact as good as the '01 Ravens, but I'm thinking they aren't even close. Every few years a team comes around who can win the Super Bowl with a QB who can't throw but it doesn't happen all that often. Here are the last twelve winning Super Bowl QBs.

E. Manning
P. Manning
Roethlisberger
Brady
Brady
B. Johnson
Brady
Dilfer
Warner
Elway
Elway
Favre

Tavaris only compares on talent with two of those guys, Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer. The difference being that when those two guys won Super Bowls they had each been in the league a LONG time and knew how to manage a game, and they each had D's that were at or near the top of the league at the time.

Personally, I don't think either Tavaris or the Vikes D is close to that level yet.

I could be wrong though....they certainly have the running game (if Peterson stays healthy).

PS: How great is it to be talking football again?
B)
Tim Matthews
Hall of Fame

Post by Tim Matthews »

Dilfer couldn't throw a pass to save his life. Why are we comparing him to Jackson?
Harris and Woodson are old farts.
Ryan Grant is as slow as a dead turtle, he just played against a lot of bad defenses.
Aaron Rogers has been rotting on the bench for so long, he probably forget how to play football.
The Vikes are ready to face the Pack.

Alright, I'm done criticizing.
For now. :P
Got bombed, got frozen
Doug Kidwell
Eclipse Champion

Post by Doug Kidwell »

This is great and the season hasn't even started yet. The only thing is can we stop talking about Tarvaris Jackson being a good NFL QB it's making me sick. LOL. The guy had 5th round talent in the draft and the Vikings took him in the 2nd round. All kidding aside I love that you guys are such homers, but you don't hear me talking about how I think Kyle Boller is going to be a good QB either.
Leonard Beagle
Hall of Fame

Post by Leonard Beagle »

Tim Matthews, Jr. wrote:
The Vikes are ready to face the Pack.

Alright, I'm done criticizing.
For now. :P
I'd be a bit worried about the Lions.

They have an awful lot of offensive talent again this year.
Kitna is the best QB in the NFC North.
Tim Matthews
Hall of Fame

Post by Tim Matthews »

Oh, crap, I have one more rant in me.
If you don't think the Vikings D is fantastic with Antoine Winfield, Darren Sharper, Madieu Williams, Tyrell Johnson, E.J Henderson, Chad Greenway, Pat/Kevin Williams, and most of all, Jared Allen, you're a sad, sick person. :angry:
P.S: Yes it is nice to talk football again. :D
Got bombed, got frozen
Tim Matthews
Hall of Fame

Post by Tim Matthews »

THE LIONS!!!!????!?!?
WHAT THE $%$^&&%#@@$!!@$&*(*(**&^%$$$##$$#%%%^%$$##!!
Got bombed, got frozen