Constant "Modification Failed" error

Having difficulties? Ask here.
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
J K Rowling
Eclipse Champion

Constant "Modification Failed" error

Post by J K Rowling »

I keep getting this error when I try to do anything:
"Modification Failed - Back button pressed or page timed out. Try again."

It happens whenever I try to geld, put up for sale, GP, etc. and doesn't have any rhyme or reason on when it chooses to do it or work just fine. Drives me nuts!
"The way I look at it, I'm not meeting anyone better than Julie K... so what am I missing?"

The Sim: Where the horses are made up and cheating doesn't matter.
The Admin
Eclipse Champion

Re: Constant "Modification Failed" error

Post by The Admin »

That message happens when something about your horse was modified since you loaded the horse page. It also happens if your horse window was open for a long time before you attempted the action.

The horse gets modified during results if it ran. It may be modified at the start of a new day (midnight PT). It gets modified if you have it open in multiple tabs and initiate an action in one tab and then try to initiate another action in the other tab. Training modifies the horse too. A horse that gets auto-shipped while its window is open, would also be modified. All windows with actions are invalid after they are 1 hour old regardless of whether there was a modification.

How long is it between when you load the horse's page and you initiate an action that leads to the error?

I hope that helps.
J K Rowling
Eclipse Champion

Post by J K Rowling »

Rarely longer than an hour. I have an add-on that let's me open multiple tabs by dragging a box over links so I will open several horses that need to be entered. I do nothing with these horses, just load the tab. When I click on anything that involves java I get the error.
"The way I look at it, I'm not meeting anyone better than Julie K... so what am I missing?"

The Sim: Where the horses are made up and cheating doesn't matter.
The Admin
Eclipse Champion

Post by The Admin »

The SIM doesn't use any Java. It does use JavaScript.

Now that you know some of the cases where the error can be expected, I hope that you can find a pattern and let us know if we have a problem to fix.