Site Slow?

Having difficulties? Ask here.
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
April Eddy
Derby Contender

Site Slow?

Post by April Eddy »

Is anyone else having difficulties with the pages loading very slowly since the new version of the SIM was released? I've tried different devices and am consistently having the same issue of pages loading very very slowly. It is making entering, shipping, training, etc VERY challenging and frustrating to manage a stable of any size. I love the game but can't continue playing it this way time-wise. Before giving up on the SIM completely, I'm wondering if this is just a temporary issue, or an isolated issue only I'm having, or if others are experiencing this too? If others are having the same problem, is there any word regarding anything that can be done to correct it?
J.r. Lewis
Grade 3 Winner

Re: Site Slow?

Post by J.r. Lewis »

Hi April, I don't have any issues on my PC (using Chrome) but using my phone or tablet makes it slow for some of the items you mentioned when there's a long list of horses to load. I switch it to "Request Desktop Site" and that helps a little.
April Eddy
Derby Contender

Post by April Eddy »

Thank you soooo much J.R.! I did not know that was an option but it sounds like a solution! Where are you finding this option to switch to "desktop site"?
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

So for me personally the only page I find noticeably slow is the sales page when it first loads (which I assume is because there are thousands of horses for sale), and even then it is up and running within 5 seconds. Everything I need to load to actually manage my stable regularly is fine. Now admittedly I have a 206 horse stable and 92 of those horses are pensioners so I can't speak for what it is like to load a racing barn with thousands of horses. I access the site exclusively using Chrome on a macbook air.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
J.r. Lewis
Grade 3 Winner

Post by J.r. Lewis »

April Eddy wrote: 7 years ago Thank you soooo much J.R.! I did not know that was an option but it sounds like a solution! Where are you finding this option to switch to "desktop site"?
When I'm on the mobile page I just click on my options icon (top right next to the webpage) and along with the new tab, history, downloads, etc buttons there is a request desktop site button which you can toggle on / off. Hope that helps :)
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

All of my pages load slow, it sometimes takes 10 seconds for like the shipping list to load before anything can be clicked on...ditto with pm messages, race entries, the list of horses in the racing and training barns. These things use to load almost immediately in the old version.

I'm using Google chrome on a desktop, and Silk on my kindle, on both the site loads slow.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
April Eddy
Derby Contender

Post by April Eddy »

Thank you J.R.! I will try it... worth a shot... anything is. I'm not sure it is going to help me though it sounds like. Like Stormy, this is occuring even when on my desk top (which is what I primarily use). Pages are loading VERY slowly. I have been hoping it was something temporary as it is really interfering with my enjoyment of the game and ability to ship, enter, etc. I'm really bummed out because at this rate, I'm not going to be able to continue in the game and I have been enjoying it for over 6 real life years!!! Reaching out to others is sort of a last ditch effort here... :( I appreciate the feed back and suggestions immensely! I'm hoping something might help.
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

Could it be a javascript issue for those of you that are having problems? Are your browsers, etc. up to date?
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
The Admin
Eclipse Champion

Post by The Admin »

If all pages load slow, then it is a problem with your internet or it's ability to connect to a data center in California. Some of the SIM pages are very light-weight such as the main My Office page, or most of the pages under the "Profile" menu.
  • I suggest trying a variety of page-types to validate if "all" pages are slow, or just pages with a lot of content
Pages with a lot of content will take longer to download and render in your browser. The more horses in a list, the more data that needs to be transferred.
  • Are pages with 1000 horses slower than pages with 100 horses? Use filters to reduce the list of horses and see if that speeds up load time.
The most resource intensive part of the SIM is the responsive horse lists. And the slowest part of that is running Javascript which is run in your own browser. Some browsers are better than others at processing Javascript.
  • It is very useful to test the SIM on different browsers, different computers and using different internet connections. Only then can we determine what is the cause of the slowness. Is it possible that you have an optional plugin for your browser or special security software on your computer that inspect and slow the execution of Javascript?
I highly doubt that choosing "desktop site" would have any impact on the speed. We deliver the same content to phones and desktops.

Comparing the SIM to other site is difficult because there are very few sites that try to deliver customized tables of up to 5000 rows displayed 500 at a time with real-time sorting of columns. Our reliance on Javascript is what makes that possible.

We are constantly finding ways to streamline the speed of the SIM. I get reports of pages that take longer than 10 seconds to deliver. There are very few - about 15 each day which is about .02%.
April Eddy
Derby Contender

Post by April Eddy »

Thank you Laura and Admin for the helpful suggestions!!! I just updated my Java last week and no difference but I'm not computer savvy so I will look into this some more! The site runs impossibly slow on my phone... so I just completely gave up there. On my desk top, not all pages run slow! Some are almost as fast as before the new SIM version. The pages I'm consistently having trouble with when trying to ship horses. I just timed (from my desk top) hitting my racing barn. That took 15 seconds to load and I have 334 horses. I had more before the new SIM and it was fast. (I'm off loading horses now because of this, in an effort to try to stay in the game and it be managable.) I selected the filter for "stakes" gallops only and that took another 10 seconds to filter. Then I selected a horse to enter and the horse page took 5 seconds to load. I know this doesn't sound like much time but it is making it impossible to manage a sizeable stable like I have always maintained. My home office page loads beautifully though and most of the individual pages load just great. I'm using Chrome as I always have. I'll try your suggestion of a different browser! I have tried different wifi connections from my phone and that didn't help. Phone is Verizon and I have good service and connection elsewhere. I will work on the above suggestions (thank you guys!!!!) and any other suggestions would be IMMENSELY appreciated as I love this game and am sad to not be able to play :(
The Admin
Eclipse Champion

Post by The Admin »

April Eddy wrote: 7 years ago I just updated my Java last week and no difference but I'm not computer savvy so I will look into this some more
FYI - Java is not related to Javascript. Java is outside the browser and is a different language (although related). Javascript is inside the browser.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

I know my Chrome is up to date, in like the past month they've had two updates. I use McAfee anti virus and so nothing in my computer is any different than when the last version of the Sim was running, and loading fast, and I *think* the last version of the Sim was also on the servers the site now uses ???

April Eddy, in some cases to 'speed' things up, like say I have 40 horses to return to barns after a race. I will open the shipping tabs on like 5 in a row, and by the time I get done with the 5th tab, I can go back to the first tab and it's almost ready to let me click on the barn link I want to ship to. Same thing in the pm message part. Before I would just click on a pm, then go back...but now, you have to wait for the message list to become clickable. Now I just open each message in it's own tab...so I don't have to wait 10 second each time I go back to the list of messages waiting for me.

I'm not sure if this issue is fixable from my end or not - especially since this is doing this on 2 different browsers, Chrome and Silk. I just don't understand how with all the various servers my internet reaches out to during the day, including some that are based in Korea, that this site is the only one that lags so bad, and again, in the prior version of The Sim, most of the time pages loaded quickly.

It's not enough to make me quit the Sim, as I've been using that kind of work around I mentioned...and also, you can't use filters to make a main page load faster. When you click on the say the Racing barn, and I have about 220 horses in there...there is a long long wait before the list even shows up so you can filter it.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000