Shipping to closest farm ???

Having difficulties? Ask here.
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Re: Shipping to closest farm ???

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

I'm a little late to this party but just realized that this is explaining some unexpected results I've been seeing as well.

The shipping page used to default sort by distance. It is now default sorting by time. So where I have noticed it is my horses at Diversity Downs. Historically the first choice has been another farm in Montana that they vanned to. Now the first choice is a farm in Washington because the time of flying vs driving makes it shorter time wise even if it is considerably longer mileage wise. My understanding was that flying a horse was more tiring than vanning so I would think the least tiring option would be closest not quickest so I'm not sure why the change was made to quickest unless I'm wrong on how shipping tires horses.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

Tammy Stawicki wrote: 5 years ago I'm a little late to this party but just realized that this is explaining some unexpected results I've been seeing as well.

The shipping page used to default sort by distance. It is now default sorting by time. So where I have noticed it is my horses at Diversity Downs. Historically the first choice has been another farm in Montana that they vanned to. Now the first choice is a farm in Washington because the time of flying vs driving makes it shorter time wise even if it is considerably longer mileage wise. My understanding was that flying a horse was more tiring than vanning so I would think the least tiring option would be closest not quickest so I'm not sure why the change was made to quickest unless I'm wrong on how shipping tires horses.
Seconded. Just noticed this too. Have we been doing it wrong this whole time? Is shortest ship time the least tiring? I was also under the impression that a 1.5hr van was less tiring than a 1.5hr plane ride.
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Ash Tarasin
Eclipse Champion

Post by Ash Tarasin »

If the distance is longer than 300 miles horses will fly. Flights tire more than travelling by van.

I'm more or less quoting the Steward from a podcast a while back on this. It's from one of the "At the Gate".
The one where Danny Derby was also interviewed.
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

I'd asked for a change, because the default had shifted to shipping by time, which I never use, because flights are more tiring. The remembering thing was the proposed solution. I switch back and forth between shipping for distance and shipping to my closest farm. So, I still have to change, but at least it isn't for every horse, which I was having to do when it changed to shipping by time (I may have several horses in a row ship for distance, or several horses in a row ship to my closest farm, before running across a horse that needs to be shipped by the other of the two defaults).
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

I guess I must have missed it when it changed to shipping by time. My muscle memory does my shipping, not my brain, haha. Wonder how many horses I flew to farms when I could have vanned. Sigh.

I'm sure I'll get used to clicking "Miles" every time I go to the shipping page -- I just don't understand why the change to time sorting was made.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Laura Smith wrote: 5 years ago
I'm sure I'll get used to clicking "Miles" every time I go to the shipping page -- I just don't understand why the change to time sorting was made.
But it shouldn't be every time, because it remembers what you did last time for a few hours.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

The Steward wrote: 5 years ago
But it shouldn't be every time, because it remembers what you did last time for a few hours.
Yes it does. Mis"spoke" ;)
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

The Steward wrote: 5 years ago
I'm doing more work now in shipping than I did before the change. The default to nearest farm was just fine...now it's like every other horse I'm having to do more clicking to get it to where I want it to go.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

Had to do all my shipping from my phone this am and I love the streamlined shipping page on mobile. 👌 Thanks!