Shipping to closest farm ???

Having difficulties? Ask here.
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Shipping to closest farm ???

Post by Stormy Peak »

I manual ship my horses from the track to the barns. I don't have any of my horses on auto ship back to my barn.

Prior to this week, it use to be that After hitting the Ship button... the page would load with the Closest farm to the track by mileage - and if one wanted their own barn to show up, then just clicking on the name column would show that barn.

Now.. it seems the shipping columns are more often than not, being brought up with alphabetical location by state, rather than miles closest to nearest farm. But...sometimes the columns load with my barn as first listing, even though it could be a thousand+ mile trip. And on rare occasions...it will actually show the closest farm.

Anyway to correct this so it goes back to miles closest to track as the default?

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Ash Tarasin
Eclipse Champion

Re: Shipping to closest farm ???

Post by Ash Tarasin »

My browser (Chrome) seem to remember the latest sorting I've made. It doesn't sort by alphabetical order for me (unless I ask for it).
Not sure if that may be of any help for you?
Karazhan, Deshaan
Storm Drawing Near (sire of Steward's Cup winner)
The Admin
Eclipse Champion

Post by The Admin »

There were different view on what the default sort should be. So we made a change to where it remembers your last sort order for a while. I'm not sure when it times out. The hope is, you sort the way you like and then can forget it for a while and it will continue to show up sorted that way. I really don't want to open the can of worms where we let everyone set their own preferences for every table. This seemed like an unobtrusive way to support individual choices without introducing more settings.
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

The problem is a players order changes based on each individual horse and their location in the world.
Closest track might have been the best option for all.
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Pete Vella wrote: 5 years ago The problem is a players order changes based on each individual horse and their location in the world.
Closest track might have been the best option for all.
Yes... this.

On Wednesdays and Saturdays all my horses (with the exception of a few trotters) are in the western USA and my farm is in Florida - so my mixers get sent to the nearest farm in the western USA. Same with my horses in other countries...they get sent the nearest farm.

So, before...we had 1 default... nearest farm.
Now... it's at least one of 3 things that can pop up
~Nearest farm,
~one's own barn
~alphabetical by state.

For me, it's just more time consuming because now I have to sometimes double check to see what track the horse is at if I get distracted. The 'closest farm default' was a nice way to remember what state or even country that horse was in....and thus not get accidentally shipped 5 or 10 hours to one's own barn.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Darcy McBride
Hall of Fame

Post by Darcy McBride »

I noticed that as well. I've always like the closest farms to whatever track my horse is at, as I manually ship each horse as well. I can live with it if that's the way it's going to be, but imo it's not very efficient.
DM: AMERICATION MISCHIEF & JAMBOREE
TM: NIGHTWATCH
DS: SINISTER MISTER/THE HELLHOUND/DARKANDSTORMYNIGHT
AWR: TUSCANY GOLD
QH DS: EL RAY SOL
QH DM: MARK ME CHROMED
The Admin
Eclipse Champion

Post by The Admin »

I should be more clear.
The only changes we made to shipping are:
1 - we simplified the page a little bit so that it would load faster - mostly for mobile devices.
2 - we made it remember whatever sort order you used last - so if you sorted by distance, it would come back by distance next time. If you sorted by name, it would come back by name.

The sort settings are saved for 2 hours and are reset if you switch from shipping single horses to shipping 2 or more horses.

The first question is, is it working as stated above? If not, please give a set of steps that lead to unexpected outcomes.
The second question is, was it better when we always reset the sort options and didn't try to save the changes you made?

Thanks.
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

Post by Dylan Christensen »

The Admin wrote: 5 years ago 1 - we simplified the page a little bit so that it would load faster - mostly for mobile devices.
I’d like to say one thing about this, on phones you have to scroll over a bit when shipping horses. It’s totally minor but the amount of time you save loading is lost scrolling.
yeah
The Admin
Eclipse Champion

Post by The Admin »

Dylan Christensen wrote: 5 years ago
The Admin wrote: 5 years ago 1 - we simplified the page a little bit so that it would load faster - mostly for mobile devices.
I’d like to say one thing about this, on phones you have to scroll over a bit when shipping horses. It’s totally minor but the amount of time you save loading is lost scrolling.
I dropped some more columns for small phones. Do you like it better? You can turn the phone horizontal to get the columns back.
Lily Miles March
Miler

Post by Lily Miles March »

As a sometime phone user, thanks! It's so much quicker. And it is remembering my sorting preferences with no problems.
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

Post by Dylan Christensen »

The Admin wrote: 5 years ago
Dylan Christensen wrote: 5 years ago
I dropped some more columns for small phones. Do you like it better? You can turn the phone horizontal to get the columns back.
That’s awesome thanks! It was super minor and I felt kind of whiny saying it but thank you :D
yeah
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

I love when my sorting preferences are remembered in most situations (in barns, searches, etc.) but in this particular case I think I liked it when it defaulted to sorting by shortest distance every time.
Haven't shipped on my phone yet so can't comment on that, but thanks for constantly adapting and improving the game!
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Laura Smith wrote: 5 years ago I love when my sorting preferences are remembered in most situations (in barns, searches, etc.) but in this particular case I think I liked it when it defaulted to sorting by shortest distance every time.
Haven't shipped on my phone yet so can't comment on that, but thanks for constantly adapting and improving the game!
But the problem is that not everyone liked it defaulting to that, hence having to make it another "remember this sort" kind of tab. So if you sort it to that once, shouldn't it remember it for the next few hours? I think that's what we're trying to find out, if that part is working (having to tell it once a session).
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

Yea I've accidentally shipped to the wrong farm because I shipped a retired mare to my farm, but dont want my racehorses shipped to my farm so then I have to go and undo because I thought it was telling me closest farm.
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Ryan Whitehead
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Ryan Whitehead »

When I enter a horse I just change the horse location to a farm near the track. That eliminates mistakes in shipping. Only take a few extra seconds
Improvisational 80K
Fade to Black 50K
Moneyed 40K
Moose Knuckle 28K
Forefront 15K