annoying chat tab on my screen

Having difficulties? Ask here.
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

annoying chat tab on my screen

Post by Stormy Peak »

Tonight was the first time I joined the Sim's chat room since getting Win 10. I am using Chrome.

Now, in the bottom right of my monitor I have either a bubble telling me how many people are in chat... or...a tab that says 'chat' that is always there. I've tried logging out, yet it still remains.

How do I get rid of it?

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
The Admin
Eclipse Champion

Re: annoying chat tab on my screen

Post by The Admin »

FYI - that bubble has been there for all of 30 minutes or so. It is part of experimenting with a new chatroom. We will probably turn it off.
Ali Hedgestone
Eclipse Champion

Post by Ali Hedgestone »

I LOVE the chat bubble. It makes it super easy to chat and do all the SIM things. Please don't take it away!
Dan Kauffman: 52 mixers previewed. You (and Glenn) should get paid or institutionalized (Y48, W15, D3)
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Thanks...

I thought it might be part of the Win10 stuff. I'm still trying to figure it out and also trying to get rid of some things that came with it...figured this was just something new that popped up with it due to me being in chat the first time since getting this new computer.

To me, it's just annoying clutter on my screen and we already have a chat button link that can be opened into a new tab if someone wants to keep an eye on the chat room.

Stormy
Last edited by Stormy Peak 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Ali Hedgestone
Eclipse Champion

Post by Ali Hedgestone »

Yeah.. Windows 10 is the worst for extra stuff that takes up memory and you don't need.
Dan Kauffman: 52 mixers previewed. You (and Glenn) should get paid or institutionalized (Y48, W15, D3)
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Ali Hedgestone wrote: 5 years ago Yeah.. Windows 10 is the worst for extra stuff that takes up memory and you don't need.
I haven't had time yet, but the next thing I get rid of is this 'information' window that has a bunch of apps I never use...that pops onto my desktop every time I start the computer or make it come out of sleep. I think it's part of cortana or something.

And... I just can't 'uninstall' some things.... I've learned I have to go into 'admin' and 'uncheckmark' some apps THEN go into 'add remove programs' and get rid of them. What a pain in the butt, I don't understand why they had to make it harder to uninstall things. :evil:

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

Post by Dylan Christensen »

Could we have it be an option where you can toggle it on or off in settings?
yeah
Gigi Gofaster
Hall of Fame

Post by Gigi Gofaster »

I HATE this. Every new page click it has to bounce back onto the screen and it's very distracting. On mobile the bar at the bottom takes up screen space I need on my tiny iphone.
"I was afraid of Gigi, it was true." Oh yes. Be afraid. Be very afraid...
"Gigi, you continue to impress the heck out of me." - The Steward. Okay, it was 10 RL years ago, but I'm keeping it.
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Gigi Gofaster wrote: 5 years ago I HATE this. Every new page click it has to bounce back onto the screen and it's very distracting. On mobile the bar at the bottom takes up screen space I need on my tiny iphone.
You can now turn it off in your profile settings! :)
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
The Admin
Eclipse Champion

Post by The Admin »

Gigi Gofaster wrote: 5 years ago I HATE this. Every new page click it has to bounce back onto the screen and it's very distracting. On mobile the bar at the bottom takes up screen space I need on my tiny iphone.
But how do you really feel. :)

As mentioned here and on the Steward's Message area, it is your choice in Settings whether you want to turn it on or off. Some users love it, and some don't.
Gigi Gofaster
Hall of Fame

Post by Gigi Gofaster »

Well my apologies for causing offense. I didn't see the message on my home page, and Rochelle was responding to my post (I don't see anything from earlier posts here explaining how to turn it off). I've turned it off, and I'll keep my opinions to myself in future.
"I was afraid of Gigi, it was true." Oh yes. Be afraid. Be very afraid...
"Gigi, you continue to impress the heck out of me." - The Steward. Okay, it was 10 RL years ago, but I'm keeping it.
The Admin
Eclipse Champion

Post by The Admin »

Gigi Gofaster wrote: 5 years ago Well my apologies for causing offense. I didn't see the message on my home page, and Rochelle was responding to my post (I don't see anything from earlier posts here explaining how to turn it off). I've turned it off, and I'll keep my opinions to myself in future.
I'm sorry Gigi. I shouldn't have posted that.

I have been working on fine-tuning the chat since we tested it last night. Because of feedback, like yours, we determined that enough people like and disliked the sim-wide chat, that we needed to make it a user-defined setting. I had just finished that feature and posted about it on the main page (Steward Notices).

Please continue to give your opinions as that is how we decide what features to add and alter.
Diane Townsend
Classic Contender

Post by Diane Townsend »

With the chat volume settings can we have a way to turn off the new users tone but turn on the new message tone (or vice versa)?
Nigerian Prince (TS)
Race With Lions (TM)
The Womble (TR)
Seismic (TR)
Legendary Dragonet (Chase)
Red Eyed Me (Appy Mid)
The Admin
Eclipse Champion

Post by The Admin »

Diane Townsend wrote: 5 years ago With the chat volume settings can we have a way to turn off the new users tone but turn on the new message tone (or vice versa)?
We don't control the features inside the chat. But it may have the option you want. There are 3 sound settings available - Off, Minimized and Always. I think Minimized means don't make sound when people send a message but do make a sound when people enter and leave. But it could be the other way around. The sound option is under the upper-right menu inside the chat window.
Diane Townsend
Classic Contender

Post by Diane Townsend »

I use minimized already
Nigerian Prince (TS)
Race With Lions (TM)
The Womble (TR)
Seismic (TR)
Legendary Dragonet (Chase)
Red Eyed Me (Appy Mid)