Sim Forum and Game down more than a few times

Having difficulties? Ask here.
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Sim Forum and Game down more than a few times

Post by Stormy Peak »

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Yesterday and today I tried to get into the Sim and got a could not connect messages...like one would get if the internet was down...yet all my other sites were loading fine. This hasn't been the first time this has happened this past month. I can think of at least 3 other times when it's happened. Most of the time the site is popping back on in anything from 30 seconds to 2 minutes.

I don't know if it's my local phone/internet company not getting the connection or if it's on the other end of things...but so far, this is the only site where I've run across this, all my other sites load up perfectly. I'm using Chrome, and also Norton for my anti-virus.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Re: Sim Forum and Game down more than a few times

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

I personally haven't had any issues
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Darcy McBride
Hall of Fame

Post by Darcy McBride »

Mine have not had any issues at all either, Stormy. I hope you can figure out what is going on.
DM: AMERICATION MISCHIEF & JAMBOREE
TM: NIGHTWATCH
DS: SINISTER MISTER/THE HELLHOUND/DARKANDSTORMYNIGHT
AWR: TUSCANY GOLD
QH DS: EL RAY SOL
QH DM: MARK ME CHROMED
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

It's now 4:05pm (mountain time) I've been shut out of the forum and the game since 1:14pm this afternoon. It just now came back on for me...kept getting Cannot connect...cannot find IP to site messages. :( This is the longest it's been off since I started having this problem on and off for over a month now. It's frustrating.

It's weird too, as I was in the game for almost 2 hours entering horses then when to enter one...and can't reach the site or the forum. Everything else was loading perfect, Netflix, Amazon Prime, a dog forum I visit almost daily...but not here.

Thanks for letting me know that it seems to be just my connection.

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
The Admin
Eclipse Champion

Post by The Admin »

The next time it happens, you might try using this URL:
https://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/simhorseracing.com

This is a site that will check sites for you and let you know if the site is available. Like the domain says "down for everyone or just me". It won't solve whatever the problem is, but may give you some information.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

I bookmarked the link... hope I don't have to use it, but given the past month of the site not connecting, and then today it going off for several hours...I'll probably have to use it. And even if it's at my end, I doubt my telephone/internet company will do anything to correct it.

Thanks for the link.

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

I am blocked again from my desktop ... But not from my kindle. ???? My internet for both comes through the same box. I tried white listing siite and in chrome....unblocking it...but it keeps going back to blocked again.

It seems to me then, that a program in the computer is doing this and not my phone company...which I thought might have done it thinking this site was a gambling site. What a headache...

EDIT TO ADD: After posting the above from my Kindle, and in refreshing my computer's pages several times, the site opened up for me. This is making me crazy.

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

I don't know how much help this could possibly be but maybe try clearing your cache?
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Carole Hanson wrote: 4 years ago I don't know how much help this could possibly be but maybe try clearing your cache?
I tried that first thing. Did a restart on my computer, too. Also tried to white list the site in Norton, and use Chrome's site settings for this site to fix it.

It shows the site as being blocked...but the control for that is greyed out until I hit 'reset default'...then I can select "Allow" and when I got to load the site in another tab, it gives me the cannot connect page, but with a header at the top asking if I wish to use the new settings. I will press 'Yes and reload'...but I still get that error page telling me I cannot connect to the Sim...and when I go back into the Chrome settings page...once again, greyed out it shows it's blocked.

I don't know why it's started to do this...but this getting kicked off for several hours just happened yesterday but not accessing this site has been happening for over a month now...but just for seconds to like a minute or so at the most.

I hate computer stuff like this... don't have a clue as to where to start to fix it....if it's my telephone/internet, or my computer's programs, or from the other end of things...which given no one else is having issues, narrows it down to things on my end.

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Hmm maybe see if this is happening with another browser as well? Perhaps it’s Chrome that’s the problem. Then again I also use Chrome and I haven’t had any issues on both my laptop and mobile
The Admin
Eclipse Champion

Post by The Admin »

Stormy Peak wrote: 4 years ago I am blocked again from my desktop ... But not from my kindle. ???? My internet for both comes through the same box. I tried white listing siite and in chrome....unblocking it...but it keeps going back to blocked again.

It seems to me then, that a program in the computer is doing this and not my phone company...which I thought might have done it thinking this site was a gambling site. What a headache...

EDIT TO ADD: After posting the above from my Kindle, and in refreshing my computer's pages several times, the site opened up for me. This is making me crazy.

Stormy
You are doing a very good at troubleshooting this and collecting data. You are correct, the fact that your kindle can get to the SIM using the same Internet connection as your laptop, proves that your phone company is not causing the block. On some occasions, the Internet router has family protection that can block sites for certain computers and even at certain times. There is a slight possibility that the router is doing it, but it is not likely.

The next question is whether this is a problem affecting only Chrome or all browsers on your computer. Do you have another browser to try? Like Internet Explorer or Edge? If you can get Edge working while Chrome isn't, then we know to focus specifically on Chrome. If all browsers are blocked on your computer, then it may be Norton Antivirus. In that case, see if you can temporarily turn off Norton and see if that makes a difference. Norton will probably give you lots of scary warnings when you try to turn it off, but don't worry, since you will plan to turn it back on soon. If turning off Norton makes the difference, then we know to focus on Norton settings.

The only other possibility is if you have configured DNS protection using another tool or an DNS provider. OpenDNS is an example. I will go in to more detail once you report back your findings on all the other tests.

Sorry for the inconvenience. I'm sure you will figure it out eventually.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Thanks for the reply. So far today the site has been connecting fine all day. The next time (hopefully there won't be one)... I'll try using IE /Edge to open this site. I did try turning off Norton the other day too...after I had put The Sim in the 'white list' part of Norton. Neither worked. I might have to check my routers settings,

It's been unplugged and plugged in a few times since all this started...leaving it unplugged for about 1/2 hour at one point, as I got busy doing other things. But I haven't gone online and to the site that has all the controls to that router.

I'll keep working on this...hopefully I won't need to bother you anymore about it, since, it doesn't seem to be coming from your end.

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Well... Last Friday night... I was still having issues getting onto the site. I did some research on the internet and found a person who also played a sim horse racing game, and who couldn't connect to it, after moving into a new home and getting CenturyLink as a provider. Same thing as I experience...he could not access it from the desktop computer but could do so from his wireless device...for him, his phone and for me, my Kindle. He finally got Century Link to admit that they banned that site as being risky and according to the letter writer...the site he was at was pure game, no gambling and he had played it for a long time with no issues.

I called CenturyLink...to see if this was the case with me and they said 'No' and I told them everything I did on my end to try to get this site to load...the tech told me to do a hard reset on my modum...rather than just unplugging it like I had done, I was to hit a reset button. I did...and then couldn't get Any internet at all.

So, I'm told they will send me a new modem, and it will be here Wednesday...it came today (Thursday)...no instructions on how to hook it up and I'm suppose to print my own address label to return the old modem... I don't have a printer. Seriously...they are a Multi Million dollar corporation and they can't send a pre-printed return label! ?

Anyway... As I said, no instructions came with this new modem, and I wasn't confident enough to set it up for my computer and wireless stuff. I call and get a tech to help me...but the new modem won't connect and it kept getting a security notice that my network wasn't private...the tech on the phone finally after almost an hour was able to punch in the right stuff on his end for me to get back on the internet.

At least this site loaded and I just hope... HOPE...that this is the last time I have issues getting here.
I've been going to my sister's house all week and trying to do some things here on my Kindle, but that's a pain in the butt....so glad to have a real keyboard again and a monitor that it bigger than 10 inches.

---------
Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000