Request: Steward-Bred Auction Calendar?

Having difficulties? Ask here.
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Emily Mitchell
Hall of Fame

Request: Steward-Bred Auction Calendar?

Post by Emily Mitchell »

Would it be possible to have the steward-bred auctions added to the calendar like the year in advance? And possibly set notifications for when they are starting / ending?

I didn't know they were to be around this time, and by the time they end I'm shut out of bidding because I'm broke. LOL It's depressing to not be able to afford one steward-bred.

I'd just like to know when they were happening in advance so I could save up over time specifically for them.
RIVERSTONE FARM ~ Home of Champions ~ Farms in Kentucky, Germany, and Japan ~
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Re: Request: Steward-Bred Auction Calendar?

Post by Rochelle Bos »

It definitely makes it easier to “share there love” with fewer and bigger auctions
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Agree with this so so so much. TBS auctions are such a major part of the game that I'm sure players would like to be able to plan for them accordingly.
Emily Mitchell
Hall of Fame

Post by Emily Mitchell »

Yep. Got exactly zero horses.
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

Is it because you didn’t have a calendar?
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

They used to be fairly standard scheduling, back when we had three auctions a year (two yearling auctions, one 2yo auction, each one around the same time each SIM year). But, in recent SIM years, the auctions have had to work around the Steward's real life, so I'm not sure how far in advance they're really set. My guess is that it will be a while before the next auction occurs, since she'll have to breed some foals before she can sell them.
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Laura Ferguson wrote: 4 years ago They used to be fairly standard scheduling, back when we had three auctions a year (two yearling auctions, one 2yo auction, each one around the same time each SIM year). But, in recent SIM years, the auctions have had to work around the Steward's real life, so I'm not sure how far in advance they're really set. My guess is that it will be a while before the next auction occurs, since she'll have to breed some foals before she can sell them.
Or she could breed three horses and decide to hold a three horse auction tomorrow. It's really completely random now.
Emily Mitchell
Hall of Fame

Post by Emily Mitchell »

Pete Vella wrote: 4 years ago Is it because you didn’t have a calendar?
What? I just couldn't afford any of them. I bid and bid and bid but no dice. The random cheap ones were not at all that price, they are miracle underbid winner situations.
Emily Mitchell
Hall of Fame

Post by Emily Mitchell »

I mean if I had the millions sitting around to spare it wouldn't matter, but, I just don't have that kind of money and without races happening I didn't have a way to earn any money.

If you're a player with a limited budget, it is extremely hard to "level up" as it were. I keep my stable afloat strictly because I had some decent lines from over the years of play plus some very nice people donated some good earning horses.

I have no idea how new or mid-level players make it, to be honest. Barriers to entry into the high level stakes are extremely high. A lot of it is sheer luck. If you don't get Steward-breds, you don't have much of any hope. The sales pages are full of junk. And even if you grind a lot of claimers those races return such little prize money that it's agonizingly slow, so you have to play years to grind enough money to buy one Steward-bred. And if you don't know when those will be and as a result you spent a bit of that money breeding, hoping for a better future, only to be caught up short, we'll you're just screwed.

It's just my opinion that to keep players interested, Steward auctions need to be announced in advance plus set to only 1 horse won per person and have a large quantity of horses in one auction, that way lower level or less money players can get a chance at some hope.

I see these barn dispersals all the time in the Auctions category, and I think if everyone had more access to better horses you wouldn't see so many people throwing in the towel.

Just my humble opinion. Take it or leave it, nothing I can do. I am just sharing because I firmly believe it would help the game and thus the Steward herself as a whole. I've loved this game for a long time, it's a beautiful thing, and I know it can grow to hold more contributing players.
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Emily Mitchell wrote: 4 years ago I have no idea how new or mid-level players make it, to be honest. Barriers to entry into the high level stakes are extremely high. A lot of it is sheer luck. If you don't get Steward-breds, you don't have much of any hope. The sales pages are full of junk. And even if you grind a lot of claimers those races return such little prize money that it's agonizingly slow, so you have to play years to grind enough money to buy one Steward-bred. And if you don't know when those will be and as a result you spent a bit of that money breeding, hoping for a better future, only to be caught up short, we'll you're just screwed.
This is what I have be struggling with over the last sim year. There will ALWAYS be a huge gap between my barn and the big players. They will always have millions more than me, they will always have X more generations in their barns, they will always be producing better and better foals than I can. The only chance I have of being on the same playing field is their generosity (whether it’s a mare lease or the ability to run a nice horse), getting a random slide, finding a hidden gem in AJ (which is all but impossible now with auctions), or getting lucky with a stewardbred purchase. And that would be VERY lucky, because I will likely never be competitive bidding on Em’s best mares’ foals because the big players always focus on those, and as I said, I will never have as much money as they do.

I think a calendar is an amazing idea. The RL Yearling sales are always at the same time of the year aren’t they? One or two big auctions, even with win 2, gives huge opportunity for underbids, and pinhookers can still pinhook but they can only do it with their two, not 1-2 from each auction when there are lots of little auctions. And knowing when the auctions are gives mid, and possibly even low barns time to save and put in for an Underbid.
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

If adding a steward bred auction calendar makes it an equal playing field for all then I’m all for it.
Everyone deserves a fair shot.
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

Rochelle Zahacy wrote: 4 years ago
Emily Mitchell wrote: 4 years ago I have no idea how new or mid-level players make it, to be honest. Barriers to entry into the high level stakes are extremely high. A lot of it is sheer luck. If you don't get Steward-breds, you don't have much of any hope. The sales pages are full of junk. And even if you grind a lot of claimers those races return such little prize money that it's agonizingly slow, so you have to play years to grind enough money to buy one Steward-bred. And if you don't know when those will be and as a result you spent a bit of that money breeding, hoping for a better future, only to be caught up short, we'll you're just screwed.
This is what I have be struggling with over the last sim year. There will ALWAYS be a huge gap between my barn and the big players. They will always have millions more than me, they will always have X more generations in their barns, they will always be producing better and better foals than I can. The only chance I have of being on the same playing field is their generosity (whether it’s a mare lease or the ability to run a nice horse), getting a random slide, finding a hidden gem in AJ (which is all but impossible now with auctions), or getting lucky with a stewardbred purchase. And that would be VERY lucky, because I will likely never be competitive bidding on Em’s best mares’ foals because the big players always focus on those, and as I said, I will never have as much money as they do.

I think a calendar is an amazing idea. The RL Yearling sales are always at the same time of the year aren’t they? One or two big auctions, even with win 2, gives huge opportunity for underbids, and pinhookers can still pinhook but they can only do it with their two, not 1-2 from each auction when there are lots of little auctions. And knowing when the auctions are gives mid, and possibly even low barns time to save and put in for an Underbid.
Mixers. I got into paints sime years so I could race on more days and this year and ever since my thoroughbred pool has been getting smaller and smaller and my paint pool larger and larger. You don't have the stewardbreds so my homebreds are actually competitive and I have bloodlines that have been in my stable since those initial days that have continued to be productive whereas with thoroughbreds I'm always shopping to try to find something new because even if I can get a nice mare she never seems to be able to produce and even if she can her daughters certainly can't. Sure you still have to compete with players like me when horses are available for sale/lease but at this point I am only going for the top top tier and I don't think I am alone in that and you can get that 2nd tier and improve it. That's how I built my stable. Costs of horses are lower and you have a strong portfolio of claiming races where horses can make some real money. Only downside is the fact that there aren't separate limits for within breed and crossbreed so good luck breeding to a nice quarter horse stallion.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*