Frustrations

Having difficulties? Ask here.
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Greg Czechowicz
Miler

Re: Frustrations

Post by Greg Czechowicz »

I don’t quite understand the pushback against this. This would be such a huge time saver for folks that have to train a lot of foals. An hour or two max of programming time would go a long way to making training horses one by one a less time consuming process.
The Admin
Eclipse Champion

Post by The Admin »

Greg Czechowicz wrote: 2 years ago I don’t quite understand the pushback against this. This would be such a huge time saver for folks that have to train a lot of foals. An hour or two max of programming time would go a long way to making training horses one by one a less time consuming process.
I don't play the game so I don't understand how this sort of training works. My impression is that each horse may have a different training surface and distance. So I'm not clear how often the length you train one horse would apply as a default for the next horse.
Greg Czechowicz
Miler

I will give a practical example so folks can maybe understand a bit better. I go to train a horse, I pick 5f turf and do a "train now". After the screen reloads its pre-selected to 2f Dirt ( Would be nice if it stayed at 5f turf since I am still on the same horse). But I still want to train this horse 4 days from now, then 4 days after that, and schedule advance training but it doesnt pre-select what I just picked. I am not asking it to persist from horse to horse, I just feel if on the SAME horse, and I do a training for 5f turf, once the screen reloads it shouldnt be pre-selected for 2f Dirt.
Ren Marston
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Ren Marston »

Just to pop in and share my own view- the training distances defaulting to dirt 2f is a problem, but this could also be solved by giving more time to schedule training ahead of time (maybe even a access to scheduling all 16 weeks ahead of time) so people have an easier time checking for mistakes rather than trying to remember to schedule training every two weeks where it becomes a bit tedious and a tired brain can easily click the wrong thing
Faking it till I make it, and then faking it some more.

Studs
Astro - DR - $25,000
4X STEWARD APPROVED, PROVEN STAKES PRODUCER
Moonlight Sonata - TR - $15,000
STEWARD APPROVED ULTRA DISCOUNT STAKES PRODUCER
Durzo Blint
Turf Router

Post by Durzo Blint »

Greg Czechowicz wrote: 2 years ago I don’t quite understand the pushback against this.
I personally do not have an issue with the suggestion, but rather with the way it was delivered. As noted, this suggestion belongs in the one small thing thread. That thread does have suggestions where people have politely posted reminders of their suggestions as the dedicated team here only has so much time. Your suggestion was originally framed with criticisms and assumptions. You literally started this thread with:
Greg Czechowicz wrote: 2 years ago I know this may rub some folks the wrong way
I guess I am one of those folks
Greg Czechowicz
Miler

Durzo,
How was it delivered poorly? Did I attack anyone? Was I not professional? As a player who has now been in the game for almost a year now I wanted to voice my concerns. Are we we not allowed to have an opinion on how the game is progressing? Also, I mentioned the it may rub some folks the wrong way, because I know some folks are WAY WAY too sensitive.
Durzo Blint
Turf Router

Post by Durzo Blint »

Since you asked,
Greg Czechowicz wrote: 2 years ago Durzo,
How was it delivered poorly? Did I attack anyone?
Define "attack", but as I noted, your suggestion was surrounded by accusations and criticisms, as noted:
Greg Czechowicz wrote: 2 years ago I just feel like development / QOL fixing is almost non existent in this game. There is no development road map, I see people post in the one small thing thread but usually nothing comes out of it. I like to know there are plans to make it better, add new features, to fix small things, etc. Unfortunately that doesnt seem to be happening.
The Admin and the Steward do pay attention and do listen to the community - hence the one small thing thread, as the Admin pointed out. Many of the items in that thread have been implemented, or a version of it, so this is, in my opinion, is just wrong. The team is also upfront and transparent about new things that are coming our way.
Greg Czechowicz wrote: 2 years ago Was I not professional?
Yes, I would say this is unprofessional - the title of the thread alone is unprofessional, again, in my opinion
Greg Czechowicz wrote: 2 years ago As a player who has now been in the game for almost a year now I wanted to voice my concerns. Are we we not allowed to have an opinion on how the game is progressing?
You are allowed to have an opinion on how the game is progressing, as is everyone who is part of this great community. It appears the team encourages, and created a thread 10 years ago, that is still ongoing, to have the players of the community voice their suggestions.
Greg Czechowicz wrote: 2 years ago I mentioned the it may rub some folks the wrong way, because I know some folks are WAY WAY too sensitive.
You and I may agree on this point....
Last edited by Durzo Blint 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

I'm with Durzo. I think the delivery came off a little rough, as well. It seemed like your desire for a small change in the workout feature (something you could easily have posted in One Small Thing) was phrased as a kind of harsh overall criticism of the game and its developers, who, as the Admin said, are literally two people just doing their best.

I'm sorry that you've been here for ten months and that you feel that the game is stagnant. I've been here for almost sixteen years (since early 2006) and can tell you that the game has been anything but stagnant in that time. Usually there are several new features implemented every couple of game years, at the very least, and more often than not there are multiple "small things" that are introduced every game year. Your perception that "nothing is ever implemented from the One Small Thing thread" isn't really the case. Ideas from that thread are, and have been, added to the game often. The issues with the massive One Small Thing thread and its apparent exponential growth of unimplemented ideas are that a) that some of the ideas are not realistic candidates for inclusion (IMO) so they won't ever be implemented and b) that there are so many ideas in that thread that it would be a little ridiculous to expect them to all become reality, I think, especially since each idea is just one person's opinion.

That being said, I suppose that as a developer yourself you have come into this with your own ideas about what a game should look like. That's fair, but I think it's not terribly fair to call out the Admin team publicly and criticize the way they're delivering their product, ESPECIALLY when you've been around for less than a year -- sorry if I come across as a disgruntled old-timer, but with a little patience I think you will notice that changes, even specific suggestions from One Small Thing, are made on a regular basis, and that the team is always looking for ways to improve the game. Nothing wrong with giving feedback, but there are more tactful ways to do it than this.

Sincerely, a̶ ̶W̶A̶Y̶ ̶W̶A̶Y̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶s̶e̶n̶s̶i̶t̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶s̶o̶n̶ a longtime player who loves the game and feels strongly that the Admin and the Steward are real, good people with feelings who don't deserve to be openly criticized for a "problem" that isn't really a problem.
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
The Admin
Eclipse Champion

Post by The Admin »

I hope this doesn't get out of hand. The main people who could have been offended were the Steward and me. We are fine. I think we've had a good interchange of thoughts.
Greg Czechowicz
Miler

I had a LONG post I was preparing to some folks on this thread , but will take the high road since I just saw the Admins comment. What I will say though to summarize is I just felt personally that I saw tons of suggestions being put in the one small thing thread, and I didnt see most of them getting implemented or even discussed to be implemented. I could be way off base with that, but a suggestion may be if we added a change log to this game when items from the one small thing or improvements are implemented. An example could be :

Mar 15: Added new harness speed figures
April 30: Implemented new mass breeding game points
June 15: Added the ability to do XXX

The above I know are major ones we currently put on home page, I was referring to mainly the one small thing items that may get implemented but not everyone knew they did, etc. Also, while we are talking about ideas, maybe an upvoting / downvoting of suggestions from the one small things thread quarterly or semi annually? Like a poll? This way the community can voice what features or ideas they liked the most? Then maybe a post say quarterly or semi annually by the admins saying which ones they can possibly work on if its feasible for them?
Last edited by Greg Czechowicz 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Dave Trainer »

Greg Czechowicz wrote: 2 years ago I will give a practical example so folks can maybe understand a bit better. I go to train a horse, I pick 5f turf and do a "train now". After the screen reloads its pre-selected to 2f Dirt ( Would be nice if it stayed at 5f turf since I am still on the same horse). But I still want to train this horse 4 days from now, then 4 days after that, and schedule advance training but it doesnt pre-select what I just picked. I am not asking it to persist from horse to horse, I just feel if on the SAME horse, and I do a training for 5f turf, once the screen reloads it shouldnt be pre-selected for 2f Dirt.
Just hit the back arrow and change the date of the training (and equipment if you want to) that's what I do.
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

;p
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

The Admin wrote: 2 years ago
Greg Czechowicz wrote: 2 years ago I don’t quite understand the pushback against this. This would be such a huge time saver for folks that have to train a lot of foals. An hour or two max of programming time would go a long way to making training horses one by one a less time consuming process.
I don't play the game so I don't understand how this sort of training works. My impression is that each horse may have a different training surface and distance. So I'm not clear how often the length you train one horse would apply as a default for the next horse.
Different horses tend to prefer different work types. Sprinters shorter distances, milers 4 furlongs, and routers longer distances. Then you also have the different surfaces which would also vary by horse's preferred surface. I tend to 99.9% of the time work a certain type of horse the same way (my turf milers work 4 furlongs on the turf, my paint mid 400 furlongs, the one thing I vary is my paint sprinters which usually get both a 100 furlong and 300 yard work). As it currently works when working horses I need to select horses by horse type and then remember to change the workout distance/surface to what I want it to be. I need to go through each horse type one at a time to work them since they are working different distances. If I had the option to somewhere set default work conditions for all my horses, I could just set that once and then when workout time comes select all my horses and say work them, like I do with other training. I think a number of players would appreciate this added convenience, and if it was setup as I described people that specify workouts more to individual horses rather than horse type could just not use it.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Not much to add here, except for a bit of old humor.

Back before Year 34...All our horses in training had to be galloped 1 at a time. There were no mass gallops. Then in Year 34, the Admin and Steward added mass gallops. And this 1 comment, made me laugh out loud and 9 years later, I still remember it and it makes me laugh.
Dan Gordon wrote: 11 years ago What a timesaver. I galloped 302 yearlings at once. I recruited everybody that I could to be a jockey. Taxi Drivers, Bartenders, the entire Weight Watchers class, the mental institution fellows out on a break, you name it. Amazing that there were no collisions.

Oh, I got 13 wow/stakes, about 90 wings/great. I'm very pleased.
The Weight Watchers comment was what had me laughing so hard...lol

I'm thankful for the game. I've been here since 2006, and it's been my escape from the real world when I've had some very tough times. Over the past 15 years, I have seen huge improvements made with the game, and also minor improvements, and I'm thankful to the Admin and to The Steward for keeping this game alive and moving forward -- even if it sometimes crawls that way and sometimes makes a huge leap...the game does make progress : )

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Art K Stables
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Art K Stables »

yeah theres been plenty of changes, as far as the one small thing, some of the items people list can already be done, I know that's happened to me, and other things are wishlist items that not everyone wants nor make much sense in the context of this game. It certainly doesn't mean they aren't listening and I've seen lots of changes to this game based on player feedback. There are lots of global actions that could not be done. In fact, you didn't know how a horse even galloped unless you looked at his individual page when I started playing! People used code names for their horses to give a clue, but all that, in addition to the bloomer/prog/peak settings are a great help. Your suggestion is particularly helpful to those with larger barns, so for me I don't find it much of a timesaver, but I am sure for others it may be. Also, the fact you can set up future training sessions wasn't available either not too long ago. So, I think the "nonexistence" in development of the game is not accurate and if you had started 5 years ago you would have agreed. In fact some changes may have happened at times a little too quickly and forced some players to adjust their strategy, I know I balked at some developments and I think things have been a bit more stable I am sure in the last year or so and I prefer not having to readjust my strategy in the near future