Eclipse Horse of the Year

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.

Who would get your vote?

Accelerate
40%
Justify
60%

Total votes: 30

J.r. Lewis
Grade 3 Winner

Eclipse Horse of the Year

Post by J.r. Lewis »

There's a general consensus that it comes down to these two so I'm doing the same...who you got?
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

Re: Eclipse Horse of the Year

Post by Dylan Christensen »

You think Enable will win European horse of the year? Again(or at least I think she won last year?)
yeah
J.r. Lewis
Grade 3 Winner

Post by J.r. Lewis »

Dylan Christensen wrote: 5 years ago You think Enable will win European horse of the year? Again(or at least I think she won last year?)
She won it last year and while she may be the best horse going right now, I'm not sure 3 wins will get it done even with 2 of them being the Arc and BC
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

Guess we will have to wait and see, I hope she gets it because, wow. I’m still in awe of the fact that i was within literal feet of her.
yeah
Kaine Saracen
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Kaine Saracen »

The line up is a little bit like our two party preferred system, in my opinion if those are the only two options, then it’s a no brainer. Accelerate won more often and has more G1’s for the YEAR... Jusify had a great HALF year.

The problem with this scenario, is your really only judging between a TC or BC Classic winner and discounting the rest of the seasons races.
J.r. Lewis
Grade 3 Winner

Post by J.r. Lewis »

Kaine Saracen wrote: 5 years ago The line up is a little bit like our two party preferred system, in my opinion if those are the only two options, then it’s a no brainer. Accelerate won more often and has more G1’s for the YEAR... Jusify had a great HALF year.

The problem with this scenario, is your really only judging between a TC or BC Classic winner and discounting the rest of the seasons races.
It's a no brainer for some but as you can tell from the voting it's not that way for everyone. My vote went to Accelerate too but a lot of the arguments I see is that Justify is getting dinged because American Pharoah just won the TC a few seasons ago. If Justify would've been the first to do it in 40 years I think it might've been a no-brainer in the opposite direction.
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

I think most of us automatically assume that Horse of the Year means the horse's resume over the whole year where it could mean the horse who produced the more spectacular performance or who had the most incredible feat during the year. I would actually personally vote for Justify because he won only one less Grade 1 (4) than Accelerate (5) and he won in 4 states compared to Accelerate's 2. However, I also acknowledge the counter argument that Justify did not face older horses whilst Accelerate ended up beating all the best horses in the division in the year end championship race.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Accelerate has my vote.

I just can't justify voting for a horse that didn't even finish out his 3 year old season, even if he did win the Triple - it is an accomplishment that is difficult, but not impossible to do. Still, he never faced older horses and especially important... is he never faced the best the world had to offer in a race like Accelerate had to do to win the BC Classic.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Alysse Peverell
Hall of Fame

Post by Alysse Peverell »

Enable.
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

I’d be pretty surprised if Justify didn’t win, I looked it up and only one of the triple crown winners (Omaha) has not won or unofficially won HotY the year they won the triple crown. But I don’t know much about RL racing, just starting to learn stuff :)
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Fanta Arcadia
Eclipse Champion

Post by Fanta Arcadia »

Both are great horses and for me it is hard to choose between the two because each has done something to merit earning the award. That being said history is on the side of Justify, and even though winning the Triple Crown is not "impossible" it is still an incredibly difficult thing to do; especially for a horse who only started his career in February.

Discovery winning "Horse of the Year" over Omaha is interesting because there wasn't really an official award for Horse of the Year, at least not as we know it. The year after the Daily Racing Form formed a more formal award which lasted until the Eclipse awards. Discovery was also a BEAST of a horse in 1935, lugging high weights and winning 11 of 19 races.
Superbia --> SC Winning Stud from the My Heart of Hearts dynasty --> 40,000 fee
Quetzalcoatl --> G1 winner, Son of SC winner Luxuria, 20,000 fee
Filled With Pride --> G1 winner, Son of SC winner Superbia, 20,000 fee
Melissa Mae
Hall of Fame

Post by Melissa Mae »

I don't see Justify losing but I could make a strong, strong case for Accelerate. Getting a horse from debut to TC winner in 112 days is spectacular and hard but keeping a horse in form for nearly a year to win Grade 1 races in every season he raced this year (Spring, Summer, Fall) and only lose one race in seven starts throughout that year is harder imo.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

I like to walk both sides of the walk. I was very pro Enable losing to Roaring Lion, because he had the overall better year and stayed in form all year. So that made me happy.

But I am even more pro Justify beating Accelerate, because I think the Triple Crown should just always win. It's hard. He was special. He didn't get to choose his retirement.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

I would vote for Justify because I don't think we will ever see a Triple Crown winner that had his type of career ever again. I mean, horses like Curlin couldn't even pull off what Justify did, and Curlin was no slouch. We have seen numerous Accelerate types though.
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

What do you mean by what Justify did?
yeah