Congrats to Blood-Horse on 100 Years

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Regina Moore
Hall of Fame

Congrats to Blood-Horse on 100 Years

Post by Regina Moore »

Lexington Herald article

With the 100th anniversary a few weeks away, I wanted to give a nod to this publication that was such a huge part of my childhood and young adulthood. I started subscribing to The Blood-Horse at the age of 11 -- a year before Secretariat won the Triple Crown -- and since I didn't know there was such a thing as "browsing", I read each weekly issue word for word, including the ads. (Yes, I spent most of my childhood in my room!) I had such passion for the sport, and living in an area where no one knew anything about horse racing, The Blood-Horse was my only connection to racing, beyond the network telecasts for the Triple Crown races and a few preps. (And that $25/year for a subscription was quite a chunk of money!) After Secretariat won the Kentucky Derby, I bypassed a weekend school trip to the mountains, because I didn't want to have to wait until returning to read that week's issue.

In some ways, I feel that Kent Hollingsworth raised me. His editorials shaped many of my attitudes toward racing, and what the sport should be and could be. (For example, he was very into "hay, oats, and water" for horses to run on, without the addition of medication. I believe many considered his thinking out-dated. Yet, all these years later, many in the industry want to return to a zero-medication policy.)

I think it was in the mid 90s when I stopped subscribing. Ironically (or maybe not), it was when I joined an online partnership -- and therefore owned my own racehorses, however small my shares or low their quality -- that I lost interest in following the big races and Grade 1 horses.

Since joining SIM over seven real-life years ago, I've gradually gotten re-interested in real life racing, and get the BH daily and weekly newsletters. I don't have any desire to be on top of the issues and politics, like I once did. Still, a noble racehorse is a noble racehorse, and something to just plain admire. That has always been my favorite part.

Perhaps, with the upcoming changes the article talks about, I'll want to subscribe to the magazine again. But, this time around, I'll likely just browse.
Karl Smythe
Hall of Fame

Re: Congrats to Blood-Horse on 100 Years

Post by Karl Smythe »

Regina,

Thanks for sharing.
I was an avid follower of the Blood Horse too.
Nowadays I browse online but admit I prefer thoroughbreddailynews.com for keeping up with the world of racing.
If you haven't checked it out, give it a shot :)

Karl
Is the glass half full? or half empty?
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

I keep meaning to post about this, but the company that I work for was bought by Blood Horse a year and a half ago. They just celebrated their 75th anniversary last month. I love being involved with both companies now, may they never go away!
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Melissa Mae
Hall of Fame

Post by Melissa Mae »

The Steward wrote:I keep meaning to post about this, but the company that I work for was bought by Blood Horse a year and a half ago. They just celebrated their 75th anniversary last month. I love being involved with both companies now, may they never go away!
Hey, that means we're almost kind of co-workers.