Bush track fun!

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Bush track fun!

Post by Laura Smith »

Had a super fun day out today at the bushiest of all bush tracks and thought I'd share!
Desert Park, Osoyoos, BC (right on the border with WA) held its one-day "race meet" today, the only track in the province that was granted dates this year besides Hastings in Vancouver, and this place makes Hastings look like Del Mar. It's not even listed on Equibase. Anyway, I've never been to a real bush-track bullring before, and this was SO much fun. Four and five-horse fields going five a a half furlongs (and some quarters, who we missed seeing), mostly for $2500, mostly coming from neat places with track abbreviations I took forever to decode, like Grande Prairie and Lethbridge AB, Sun Downs WA, Great Falls MT, the OR fair circuit... and even some EmD, PM and (gasp) GG (the BIG TIME!)
Besides being a rocking good time in the country, wearing silly hats, and also being crazy hot in the literal desert, highlights included an apparently ten-year-old boy leading horses in the paddock, the fact that the infield is also a soccer field every other day of the year, and an intriguing, unraced, well-bred 5YO War Pass mare, a late scratch, but what has to happen in those five years to get you from KY (probably) to Desert Park, BC and an average of half a timed work every two months? So crazy. Anyway, the horses all looked happy and well-taken care of, and it was a blast. Thought I'd share some pics!

Looking southeast. US border is at the right edge of the photo. Some of the best vineyards in the valley are that (obviously irrigated) green area behind the track. Town of Osoyoos and the corresponding lake in the background.

Behind the paddock, actual cowboys were working some Paints in round pens. Just like at Woodbine, right?

The Desert Park Derby: CLM2500

Stormin Fever filly from an Indian Charlie mare leads them down the stretch for the first time in this 5 1/2f marathon

Sneakin Cat a decisive winner in the feature. I also hit the exacta, not terribly challenging in a five-horse field, but it paid for my hotdog!!
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Louise Bayou
Hall of Fame

Re: Bush track fun!

Post by Louise Bayou »

That is a fancy bush track! Down here where I'm from a bush track has gates, a straight away track and that is it.lol Y'all fancy up there in Canada! ;)
“It’s like I’m driving a Mac truck with the speed of a Porsche and the brain of a rocket scientist,” Gary Stevens on Beholder
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

Fair enough! Hahaha I guess you're right! Fair track and a bush track, not the same thing :)
Dan Kauffman
Hall of Fame

Post by Dan Kauffman »

And here I thought Charles Town (WV) was a bush track. LOL me!
‹Ali Hedgestone› Oh you get addicted to the crack after a while.
This spot reserved for my super-amazing TR stallion come Year 136.
Kris Krueger
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Kris Krueger »

Think the Sim needs a Bush Track division :P
Louise Bayou
Hall of Fame

Post by Louise Bayou »

I need to find some of the old bush tracks photos from down here!
“It’s like I’m driving a Mac truck with the speed of a Porsche and the brain of a rocket scientist,” Gary Stevens on Beholder
Alleyne Torres
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Alleyne Torres »

That looks like amazing fun.
Paint Stallions Standing. Horses for Sale. Feel free to PM me about gallop/bs/foal comments of my sale horses.
Dan Gordon
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Dan Gordon »

I'm curious on the betting pool. So if you bet $100 to win on a horse, would a longshot turn into the favorite??
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

These photos are amazing, I would love to go to something like this!
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

Pretty much. As there was no tote board, just a monitor or two in the betting hall (doubles as the local gymnasium ;) ) and the betting hall was crazy packed at all times, it was hard to tell, but I caught a glimpse of a total pool of $800ish one one race at one point.

Nice article today from the CBC on the sad state of racing in the B.C. interior; however, it fails to mention that part of the reason some of these small tracks have trouble getting dates is that Hastings opposes it on the premise that it'll hurt their business. Sorry guys. 35 backyard type racehorses running for pocket change, 4-6 hours and two mountain ranges away from Vancouver, aren't hurting you much.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3727236
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

The Steward wrote:These photos are amazing, I would love to go to something like this!
An easy 20-hour road trip for you guys! ;)
I bet the fair circuit in eastern OR is much the same and a fair bit closer though.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Le Bois race track in Boise closed for good in March : (
I'm glad I got to visit it a few years ago...it was a really fun experience.

I think that leaves Sandy Downs in Idaho Falls, as Idaho's only real race track now (real being, set up for betting). My little town has a fairgrounds and they do run western saddle races, short sprints for the quarter horses and mixed bred horses...but there's no betting facility.

Love the photos of that track...it looks a lot like my town's fairground track. : )

Oh, I also got to visit Hastings, and thought that was a nice sized place, given what I've seen in Idaho...lol. Never really thought of Hastings as being bush league....maybe a step up from that, and at least it's listed on Equibase, and DRF and such.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

Yeah, Hastings is big time relative to this place. Super fun track actually. And so convenient for Vancouverites... Literally a couple kms from downtown.