The 1982 Kentucky Derby

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

The 1982 Kentucky Derby

Post by Stormy Peak »

I was a senior in high school when the 1982 Derby was run. I had a favorite, a horse that was blind in one eye, his name was Cassaleria. He lost his eye a short time after he was foaled. From what I recall, he tried to stand up, fell against the stall wall and his eye was destroyed as it was scraped up against the boards.

Here's the 1982 Derby, at the 1:40 mark you can see Cassaleria headed to the gates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJf7qQ00BEA

This year there is another one eyed colt running in the Derby, a colt named Patch.

Patch

Both also were blind on the left side.

I will be cheering this guy on as a real sentimental favorite. Hopefully, he'll do better than Cassaleria, who finished mid-pack in the 1982 Derby that a horse called Gato Del Sol won. : )

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Gwayne's World
Eclipse Champion

Re: The 1982 Kentucky Derby

Post by Gwayne's World »

I attended the races at the now defunct Aksarben racetrack that day! It was during the pre simulcast era, so unless you bet with a bookie or in Las Vegas, watching on TV or listening on the radio was what we did!
Regina Moore
Hall of Fame

Post by Regina Moore »

The 1982 Derby brings up memories for me, as well. I was 21yo, and I and a good friend made the trip of a lifetime to Lexington to see the Bluegrass Stakes, which at that time was one of the biggest Derby preps. (Neither of us had any interest in hanging around for the crowded circus that is the Derby.) We met Secretariat on that trip, among many other great stud horses of the time.

Anyway, Gato Del Sol was second in the Bluegrass, and we happened to snag jockey Eddie Delahoussaye to autograph our programs after the race. So, it was a tremendous joy when Gata Del Sol, with Delahoussaye aboard, went on to win the Derby.

That was a strange year for the Triple Crown. Favored Linkage won the Blue Grass, and his elderly trainer had already decided that he wouldn't run in the Derby, but point toward the Preakness instead. That had him hounded by the press before the race, let alone afterwards.

Then, after Gato Del Sol won the Derby, his connections announced in the winner's circle that they would be skipping the Preakness to train for the Belmont. It was a huge mistake to announce it right then because, while they stuck to their guns, the press was relentless in hounding them about their decision.

That spring was enough to make one wonder if the Triple Crown didn't matter anymore.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

You were so fortunate to be able to see Secretariat. There have only been 3 horses I ever wanted to see, and just never could. Secretariat, Alydar, and Forego.

I had an aunt and uncle, who traveled east on vacation, in a motor home, and then came to Idaho to visit us. They told me they went to the Kentucky Horse park and showed me some photos they took. Many of them were of Forego...and sadly the day before they showed up here, it had been announced that Forego had died. They gave me several photos of him standing just outside of a barn door...and even though he was old and a week away from leaving this world, he still looked like he knew he was something special.

Stormy
Last edited by Stormy Peak 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Regina Moore
Hall of Fame

Post by Regina Moore »

On that 1982 trip, Forego lived at a training farm across from Keeneland. So, we went to visit him, where he was out in his paddock and came up to the fence. Kept trying to bite us, lol.

He's probably my second favorite horse of all time, next to Secretariat.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Patch finished 14th in a field of 20
Cassalaria finished 13th in a field of 19

If I believed in that kind of thing, I would think that Patch was in incarnation of Casselaria : )

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000