Maryland Million Day

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Eric Hamme
Classic Contender

Maryland Million Day

Post by Eric Hamme »

I went to my first Maryland Million Day yesterday, and it was interesting to see them put out all the stops. Between places on the grounds being used as bars that I didn't know had that capacity, to the raised prices, to the giant EDM concert out past the clubhouse turn/paddock, to me it was all an obvious dry run for Laurel eventually getting the Preakness. Without getting into too much detail, I saw some logistical things they would need to nip in the bud. There was also a new room on the second floor next to the renovated sports bar that's literally called the Race Book. The track is ready to go if and when Maryland legalizes sports betting.

In the middle of the day, I actually met Ray Paulick as he bellied up to the bar I was next to. He was gracious enough to chat with me for a few minutes. He agreed it was a matter of time before the Preakness moved to Laurel, but noted there were some traffic issues to deal with. There are only two roads into the track, and they were crowded pretty early on Saturday, and unlike Pimilco there isn't a neighborhood where people can park. There is a MARC train station there, but it looks pretty overgrown and unused. It's not an insurmountable hurdle, but it's something to think about.

The less said about my handicapping on the day, the better.