Racing relatives

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Louise Bayou
Hall of Fame

Re: Racing relatives

Post by Louise Bayou »

I was born into racing. My mom trained before I was born. She trained QHs and a few sprinter "hook" TBs. I grew up helping her and was the groom/hot walker etc for her my whole life. I was given a horse the day I was born and it was in my blood so really I didn't stand a chance.lol I have wonderful, wonderful memories of my time spent at the track/barn with her. She always taught me that the horses can first even when it wasn't the popular decision. The stories I could tell of the match tracks here in south Louisiana. ;)
“It’s like I’m driving a Mac truck with the speed of a Porsche and the brain of a rocket scientist,” Gary Stevens on Beholder
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

Post by Dylan Christensen »

Louise Bayou wrote: 5 years ago I was born into racing. My mom trained before I was born. She trained QHs and a few sprinter "hook" TBs. I grew up helping her and was the groom/hot walker etc for her my whole life. I was given a horse the day I was born and it was in my blood so really I didn't stand a chance.lol I have wonderful, wonderful memories of my time spent at the track/barn with her. She always taught me that the horses can first even when it wasn't the popular decision. The stories I could tell of the match tracks here in south Louisiana. ;)
I, and I’m sure others, wouldn’t mind hearing some stories Lou. :D
yeah
Regina Moore
Hall of Fame

Post by Regina Moore »

She trained QHs and a few sprinter "hook" TBs.
Just curious -- what is a "hook" TB?
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

Regina Moore wrote: 5 years ago
She trained QHs and a few sprinter "hook" TBs.
Just curious -- what is a "hook" TB?
I'm assuming a pinhook.
yeah
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

A hook race is one at a Quarter Horse type track where Thoroughbreds go about 870 yards, whipping around the far turn (hook) and down the stretch.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

The Steward wrote: 5 years ago A hook race is one at a Quarter Horse type track where Thoroughbreds go about 870 yards, whipping around the far turn (hook) and down the stretch.
Thanks Em, I couldn’t have been more wrong haha.
yeah
Louise Bayou
Hall of Fame

Post by Louise Bayou »

Yea sorry Em is correct. lol
“It’s like I’m driving a Mac truck with the speed of a Porsche and the brain of a rocket scientist,” Gary Stevens on Beholder
Ashley Hunt
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Ashley Hunt »

Rochelle Zahacy wrote: 5 years ago Also the kids need horses too, I've been brainwashing, I mean spreading the joy of horses to them already :P
You have to start them young lol! Our 5 yr old daughter wants to be a trick rider when she grows up, and shes been very adamant about it for over 2 years now. :D

No relatives in racing that I know of, but I have owned several off the track horses (quarter, thoroughbred, and a standardbred). The most successful of those was a Thoroughbred gelding named Bawana Bear, he had won a little over $250,000 on the track and ran until he was 9 I believe. The best bred was a Quarter Horse mare who was a great-granddaughter of Secretariat, she ran 3 times placed once with a sf of 73....not very fast at all.
Melissa Mae
Hall of Fame

Post by Melissa Mae »

I wish I had family in racing, my family is baffled I am in it, haha. I work in racing and also own part of the tail on a steeplechaser (national hunt horse for the Europeans in the game).
Gigi Gofaster
Hall of Fame

Post by Gigi Gofaster »

I grew up track side but that was because my Dad was a gambler. My mom would go away to work for the week and we's be at Dover or Brandywine very night. I'd do my homework while my dad wagered. Now I'm a statistician; go figure.

We were in some syndicates here in WA for a while, until I started bringing the horses home and my husband said I can have them at home or the track but not both. Right now we've got a Harlan's Holiday mare in foal to Balou du Rouet (for an eventer), a Nationhood two year old, a 4yo mare by Good Journey, and a 5 yo gelding by Teide who's a pure Tb but also a paint (sort of, he has spots). We're also leasing a 10yo by Stolen Gold for my daughter to event. Right now I CANNOT WAIT for that Balou baby to hit the ground...

oh and if anyone's interested the 2yo and the Good Journey mare are for sale. Just sayin'
"I was afraid of Gigi, it was true." Oh yes. Be afraid. Be very afraid...
"Gigi, you continue to impress the heck out of me." - The Steward. Okay, it was 10 RL years ago, but I'm keeping it.
Todd Whisenant
Two Year Old

Post by Todd Whisenant »

I grew up around thoroughbreds with my dad when I was young. He got out of it for a little while, then got back in. When I got old enough I started working with horses myself. Now, I have been in construction for 25 years and I am just getting to start my life long dream of owning my own race horse. My filly is now two years old that I raised from day one. Hopefully we will get to run her as a three year old at Oaklawn.