Racing relatives

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Jess Dowson
Derby Contender

Racing relatives

Post by Jess Dowson »

Hey Simmers,just wondering if you guys have any racing relatives?
My father is Richard Guest who won the Grand National on Red Marauder in 2001
this means my aunt is Lady Jane Cecil whos late husband Sir Henry Cecil trained Frankel
On my mums side her uncle was champion apprentice but sadly died working a horse,my uncle(mums brother)is a national hunt jockey and is off currently with a broken collarbone,his best result was winning a grade 2 for his boss
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

Re: Racing relatives

Post by Dylan Christensen »

My family has always been into racing but my uncle(the father ofJohn Christensen)used to manage horses for partnerships, most notably Star of Whitney. She won a fair amount of Stakes races although none were graded, she struggled in those. Nowhere near as impressive as your family though Jess, that’s pretty awesome!

Edit:She’s also the granddaughter of Secretariat which is amazing!
yeah
Jess Dowson
Derby Contender

Post by Jess Dowson »

lovely bred mare,its pretty obvious who the best horse in my family was lol
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

No kidding Jess haha. Sadly none of Star of Whitney's foals have made waves on the track. I honestly don't know if any of them have even run which would be sad if they haven't
yeah
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Dylan Christensen wrote: 5 years ago No kidding Jess haha. Sadly none of Star of Whitney's foals have made waves on the track. I honestly don't know if any of them have even run which would be sad if they haven't
According to Pedigree Query, Star of Whitney had 3 foals, none of which hit the track. A colt by Arch, a gelding by Birdstone and a filly by Sidney’s Candy
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

Carole Hanson wrote: 5 years ago
Dylan Christensen wrote: 5 years ago No kidding Jess haha. Sadly none of Star of Whitney's foals have made waves on the track. I honestly don't know if any of them have even run which would be sad if they haven't
According to Pedigree Query, Star of Whitney had 3 foals, none of which hit the track. A colt by Arch, a gelding by Birdstone and a filly by Sidney’s Candy
Hm, I remember my cousin telling me how one of his dad's former Fillies had had a few babies that never raced because this one lady was to attached to let them go train even though they had nice families. I didn't think it was her for some reason but it had to have been.
yeah
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

A lot of people in the SIM actively work in racing, but most of us are magical in that we just got into it without anyone in the family being in it. I hope one day my kids will be interested..... which means they will like football or something.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

The Steward wrote: 5 years ago A lot of people in the SIM actively work in racing, but most of us are magical in that we just got into it without anyone in the family being in it. I hope one day my kids will be interested..... which means they will like football or something.
It's easy to get someone hooked on horse racing. My dad did a great job of it for me, once a kid sees there first race they will be hooked. There is not better thing than watching the high flying action of a horse race.
yeah
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

I wish my family was in it, or into horses in general! I am an odd duck in my family, horse obsessed since I was a kid haha

Growing up I was interested in jumping, and did a lot of it. My parents could only afford lessons every other week so I "worked" at the stable where I rode for extra lessons. When I eventually (finally?) bought my own horse as an adult I was lazy and mostly stuck to trails (galloping through fields is seriously the BEST therapy and I miss it), took a few dressage lessons which was fun (though jumping and going fast are my favourite :P ). I owned an Arabian gelding and a "rescue" Quarab mare. Made the tough choice to sell them when my husband and I decided to start having kids, since I would stay home with them and things are tight with just one of us working and our home business.

My goal is once I am done with babies to get an OTTB (and/or another Arabian cause <3) and jump back into riding, dressage? maybe eventing? who knows <3

Also the kids need horses too, I've been brainwashing, I mean spreading the joy of horses to them already :P
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Regina Moore
Hall of Fame

Post by Regina Moore »

I was a huge fan as a child, and was a word-for-word reader of the weekly Blood-Horse magazine from the age of eleven. (That was way back in 1972 and, lucky for me, a two-year-old named Secretariat started racing later that year.)

I joined a partnership called Cyberspace Racing Team in 1995, based out of Phoenix, when the mainstream public was first getting to know the Internet. We were one of the first racing partnerships formed online, and were frequently the subject of magazine articles and were also featured in a few TV pieces. When our Maryland horse won for us for the first time, the announcer said, "Entering the winner's circle is Brilliant Display, owned Cyberspace Racing Team dot com." That sounded so futuristic back then. Our jockey there was one of the few who was online savvy and he thought it was really cool that our silks had an @ symbol.

We started out as a local partnership of 15 in Phoenix (though with partners as far away as Canada), and over seven years grew to 100 partners and at the end of it all had raced 27 horses from coast to coast. Our best was a maternal grandson of Secretariat who had been the champion two-year-old in Austria. (That's Austria, not Australia!) He only cost us 26k as a 6yo and won a little turf stakes in Phoenix before we sold him to be a stallion in California.

Player Richard Breedlove has always lived near Churchill Downs and he had an uncle who trained on the Kentucky circuit.
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

Regina Moore wrote: 5 years ago I was a huge fan as a child, and was a word-for-word reader of the weekly Blood-Horse magazine from the age of eleven. (That was way back in 1972 and, lucky for me, a two-year-old named Secretariat started racing later that year.)

I joined a partnership called Cyberspace Racing Team in 1995, based out of Phoenix, when the mainstream public was first getting to know the Internet. We were one of the first racing partnerships formed online, and were frequently the subject of magazine articles and were also featured in a few TV pieces. When our Maryland horse won for us for the first time, the announcer said, "Entering the winner's circle is Brilliant Display, owned Cyberspace Racing Team dot com." That sounded so futuristic back then. Our jockey there was one of the few who was online savvy and he thought it was really cool that our silks had an @ symbol.

We started out as a local partnership of 15 in Phoenix (though with partners as far away as Canada), and over seven years grew to 100 partners and at the end of it all had raced 27 horses from coast to coast. Our best was a maternal grandson of Secretariat who had been the champion two-year-old in Austria. (That's Austria, not Australia!) He only cost us 26k as a 6yo and won a little turf stakes in Phoenix before we sold him to be a stallion in California.

Player Richard Breedlove has always lived near Churchill Downs and he had an uncle who trained on the Kentucky circuit.
Regina that is an awesome story! I take it that the partnership ended or that you left?
yeah
Regina Moore
Hall of Fame

Post by Regina Moore »

Regina that is an awesome story! I take it that the partnership ended or that you left?
It disbanded around 2003 for a variety of reasons, so it no longer exists. I did the bookkeeping for it all, so I was heavily involved. It was a great time, especially for someone like me who lived in Colorado, which just had a small track and we didn't race there, so I always had to travel if I wanted to see our horses run. Me and the manager were on the phone to each other up to four times a day, so I felt very connected to all the activity.
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

Regina Moore wrote: 5 years ago
It disbanded around 2003 for a variety of reasons, so it no longer exists. I did the bookkeeping for it all, so I was heavily involved. It was a great time, especially for someone like me who lived in Colorado, which just had a small track and we didn't race there, so I always had to travel if I wanted to see our horses run. Me and the manager were on the phone to each other up to four times a day, so I felt very connected to all the activity.
That's awesome, its to bad it had to end but at least you got the experience because it sounds like a fantastic one.
yeah
Alysse Peverell
Hall of Fame

Post by Alysse Peverell »

I work in racing, but am not related to anyone in racing. I often have to say that because I have a famous racing last name. But, no, I am not related to them.
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

Alysse Peverell wrote: 5 years ago I work in racing, but am not related to anyone in racing. I often have to say that because I have a famous racing last name. But, no, I am not related to them.
What do you do in racing? Owner, Trainer, vet, something else?
yeah