$5 million All Star Mile (Aussie)

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Anne Conradt
Derby Contender

$5 million All Star Mile (Aussie)

Post by Anne Conradt »

/
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/racing/hap ... 50z8r.html

I heard the Winx connections are passing this one up?

Kind of a unique concept.

Four wild card horses chosen by the promoters of the race?

And, the public gets to vote in the other ten horses in the field?

I think that's how it goes.
/
:arrow: I always pay attention when Eric Hamme talks about horses running in Maryland.
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Re: $5 million All Star Mile (Aussie)

Post by Carole Hanson »

Doesn’t Japan do this kind of system with one of their end of year major Grade 1’s? It’s a pretty interesting concept and seems to work in Japan so far so I’m curious to see how it plays out here
Michael Looker
Classic Contender

Post by Michael Looker »

They have a couple of races like this in Japan, the Arima Kinen (the more famous one) and the Takarazuka Kinen.

Australians are a bit more troll-y than the Japanese so, instead of the Japanese "We'll vote for the best, most deserving horses so the race has all the best horses in it" approach, they went with the "Wouldn't it be funny if this slow horse made it into the race?" approach.

Urban Ruler made the field (I think with the second most votes), even though he'd recently been getting beaten in low grade races. Part of that was troll votes once he got some momentum up, but he also had the advantage of having 800 owners in his syndicate who all voted for him and got their family and friends to vote him in too. He ran last - albeit not disgraced against some of the best non-Winx horses in the country - and "won" $90,000 for his owners, which he would struggle to win on his merits.

There's talk that Racing Victoria will change the rules next year so that you can only vote for horses who are on a curated list of "worthy" runners, or that there will be a minimum rating required to be eligible.

The race itself worked out pretty well. It was won by Mystic Journey, a 3yo filly from Tasmania who became Tasmania's first ever Group 1 winner when winning the Australian Guineas the start before the All Star Mile. Even with the "undeserving" horses in the race, the first six home were all Group 1 winners. Hawkshot, runner-up to Mystic Journey in the Australian Guineas, was 7th and Happy Clapper, another Group 1 winner who pretty much ended his career (IMO, as a punter) by giving Winx something to chase last start, was 8th.

Mystic Journey is skipping the Sydney autumn carnival and going straight to the paddock, targeting the Cox Plate (the Weight-For-Age Championship of the World) in the Spring. Hopefully she gets to meet up with The Autumn Son (Sydney's rising superstar) and Winx there next year, though there's talk that he (even with a $7.5m 4yo race to target in Sydney next spring) and she (even though she's still practically invincible) will both be retired.
Jack Ryder
Turf Router

Post by Jack Ryder »

Voting for 2020 is open.
I would suggest interested people to look at Castelvecchio. Though I have voted for another horse.
https://allstarmile.com.au/horse-profiles/:horseSlug
Cleo Patra
Hall of Fame

Post by Cleo Patra »

I’m all about the Alligator Blood. Horse is a freak
AT STUD
DR... ROYAL ASSASSIN | WITTED
TR... DAY TO DAY | FIRST CLASS | MEGAPIXELS | MIJO | VALAR | WILDNESS
Future Sires... CINEMA (Y69 or 70) | TRAILBLAZING (Y68 or 69)
Michael Looker
Classic Contender

Post by Michael Looker »

I'm a Kiwi so had to vote for Waikato Stud-owned 3yo Super Seth. Fellow Kiwis Catalyst and Melody Belle were already in the field, Super Seth is on the bubble but I think if he wins the Group 1 Futurity Stakes vs the older horses this weekend he's in.

Here's a replay of Alligator Blood vs Catalyst from Saturday. Catalyst sat osl on Alligator Blood which is almost always a negative, the rail was the place to be on Saturday, and it was still a very close finish. So I'm pretty confident Catalyst is the better horse. Though they're both freaks for sure.

They'll go from here to the Australian Guineas, then to the All-Star Mile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7PiBBmVo3I