Disqualification

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Gwayne's World
Eclipse Champion

Re: Disqualification

Post by Gwayne's World »

Kenneth Prater wrote: 4 years ago
Gwayne Mike wrote: 4 years ago FYI, Maximum Security was placed 17th.
That is the part I don't understand. :shock:
Chain reaction, Ken.
Poldark | 3 time G1 winner. Including the Midsummer Classic. $42,500.
Regina Moore
Hall of Fame

Post by Regina Moore »

Just read that Jon Court on Long Range Toddy also claimed foul, so that makes more sense that a rider that was interfered with claimed foul. Since he finished 16th, Maximum Security had to be placed behind him.
Louise Bayou
Hall of Fame

Post by Louise Bayou »

I feel bad for the connections of MS. Do I think it was the right call? 100% it was the right call. This was 1 nanosecond away from being a multi horse spill. Just because its the Derby does NOT mean it should be looked at any differently than any other race. As far as War of Will I'm sure they didn't object because they wouldn't be put to the win anyway. Country House was always going to be the winner if MS came down. Some say MS shouldn't have been taken down because he was "the best horse" and to that I say, well if there HAD been a spill should he have stayed up because OMG HE IS THE BEST HORSE!"? The athleticism of War of Will is the only thing that caused that NOT to happen.

And to anyone that wants to disparage Bill Mott and Flavien over this? well....bless your heart because I feel bad for you.
“It’s like I’m driving a Mac truck with the speed of a Porsche and the brain of a rocket scientist,” Gary Stevens on Beholder
Anne Conradt
Derby Contender

Post by Anne Conradt »

Regina Moore wrote: 4 years ago Just read that Jon Court on Long Range Toddy also claimed foul, so that makes more sense that a rider that was interfered with claimed foul. Since he finished 16th, Maximum Security had to be placed behind him.
AAhh, that explains that.

I never heard them talk about Court on LRT on the telecast.
:arrow: I always pay attention when Eric Hamme talks about horses running in Maryland.
Ashley Gibson
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Ashley Gibson »

With the spotlight currently on racing it was going to be lose/lose either way. They take him down we get all of this backlash. If they leave him up, no one cares about horse and rider safety. The sport needs to show that horse and rider safety matters no matter whether it is a maiden claimer or the Kentucky Derby. You can't change rules based on what type of race it is. Clearly with as long as it took and the number of times we saw the stewards watching the replay it was NOT a decision to take lightly. They saw interference. We will never know how much the interference actually affected the result, but if you watch the replay, you will see that horses were like "Nope" that were behind it (I believe it was Tax who was most obvious). These Stewards are trained to know what to look for in the races and what the rules and regulations are. I know the Chief Steward. She worked her way to that job. No one walks into the track one day and says "I think I want to be a Steward." She knows horses and she knows the sport. But 2 out of 3 (at least) trained experts saw the need to take him down. I respect that choice.

Also, people who are talking about Prat/Mott. Your anger is misdirected. They did not cause the horse to react the way he did. Yeah MS is immature. He is a baby. That doesn't excuse his reaction. Watch 2yo baby races. They react greenly and get taken down for it in debut races. No one blames the winning connections there.
"I think it needs to be reiterated that Ashley Gibson is my hero.." - John Slotman (March 4, 2010 0757)

4:16 PM [John Slotman] I don't even know where to start.
4:16 PM [John Slotman] Except I heart Ashley.
Tamara Estes
Miler

Post by Tamara Estes »

Just remember that the immortal Secretariat was also DQ'd in a race, even though he was clearly the best that day too. If there is a foul, which there was in the Derby today, the Stewards should deal with it. I feel horrible for MS's connections, but I would have felt worse if a horse or rider had been injured. Good call Stewards!
Breeder of Distant Dream, The SIMs richest and fastest turf miler ever.
INDIAN HILLS STUD - Home of Champions For your Kentucky boarding needs
Gwayne's World
Eclipse Champion

Post by Gwayne's World »

Poldark | 3 time G1 winner. Including the Midsummer Classic. $42,500.
Eric Hamme
Classic Contender

Post by Eric Hamme »

As someone who on a lark (thinking he would benefit from a potential pace meltdown) put $2 across the board on Country House, I'm good with it.
Ashley Gibson
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Ashley Gibson »

For those who care... the rundown from the local news station after the Stewards made their statement:

The stewards from the KRC who made the decision read a statement after 9 p.m. Saturday to explain the decision. They said the objection against Maximum Security was filed by War of Will and Long Range Toddy. Barbara Borden, chief state steward for the KRC, said after a review which included interviews of the jockeys, they determined Maximum Security "drifted out and impacted the progress of (War of Will), in turn, interfering with (Long Range Toddy) and (Bodexpress)."

Borden said the stewards unanimously disqualified Maximum Security, who was placed in the finishing order at No. 17, below the lowest-finishing horse that he was deemed to have bothered, which is KRC procedure.
"I think it needs to be reiterated that Ashley Gibson is my hero.." - John Slotman (March 4, 2010 0757)

4:16 PM [John Slotman] I don't even know where to start.
4:16 PM [John Slotman] Except I heart Ashley.
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

Watching the slow motion replay of it, I think we are VERY lucky that by some miracle War of Will didn't fall down. Had his hoof been an inch to the left, he would have stepped on the heels of Maximum Security. That was extremely dangerous and while maybe War of Will wasn't going to win, he was definitely on the move forward when the incident happened, checked hard, and lost momentum. I cannot even imagine the media coverage had half the field fallen over War of Will.
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Diane Townsend
Classic Contender

Post by Diane Townsend »

It would be interesting how people would feel if it had been the other way around and the longshot was disqualified while the second? favourite was promoted to win the race?
Race With Lions (TM)
Seismic (TR)
Legendary Dragonet (Chase)
Red Eyed Me (Appy Mid) - leased out this year

NEW in Y66:
Nigerian Prince
(TS)
The Womble (TR)
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

Diane Townsend wrote: 4 years ago It would be interesting how people would feel if it had been the other way around and the longshot was disqualified while the second? favourite was promoted to win the race?
Don't worry, had Maximum Security been a Baffert horse and he had been DQed, a lot of the current angry people would be throwing parades in the Steward's honor.

The amount of name calling that Mott and Prat have been receiving is actually disgusting.

Here is a photo of the incident

Barbara Livingston
@DRFLivingston

MAXIMUM SECURITY (pink), COUNTRY HOUSE (left), and WAR OF WILL, 2019
@KentuckyDerby final turn, great shot by Jim Leuenberger/DRF.
@DRFInsidePost

Also watching this video clip in slow mo

https://twitter.com/OMGsportsClips/stat ... 6213474309

Bodexpress looks like he checked hard too
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Diane Townsend
Classic Contender

Post by Diane Townsend »

This may be interesting America is regarded as a backwater from the rest of the world when it comes to stewards interference rules. https://racingthinktank.com/reports/tif ... ging-rules
Race With Lions (TM)
Seismic (TR)
Legendary Dragonet (Chase)
Red Eyed Me (Appy Mid) - leased out this year

NEW in Y66:
Nigerian Prince
(TS)
The Womble (TR)
Ash Tarasin
Eclipse Champion

Post by Ash Tarasin »

At least two times it looks like it was inches away from a disaster. I'm grateful the Stewards made the courageous and rightful call they did. Mixed feelings - saddened for all involved while sill relieved everyone got home alive and well.
Karazhan, Deshaan
Storm Drawing Near (sire of Steward's Cup winner)
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Dave Trainer »

He'd have kept the race under UK rules