Disqualification

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Cleo Patra
Hall of Fame

Re: Disqualification

Post by Cleo Patra »

As a jockey myself, I was horrified by the footage. I’ve been put in that same situation and it’s the only time I’ve ever been scared in a race. It was only the fact that MS kept his momentum up and sheer bloody luck that there wasn’t a terrible fall. Every jockey that could see or hear the situation would have stopped riding their race, if only momentarily. Given that it was the point when everyone wants to try to make a move, I have no doubt at all that it significantly impacted the outcome of the Derby. It’s extremely difficult for a horse to get a check and then get going again.

That said, I feel sorry for all connections. There was no way to prevent the horse shifting like that and once he’d already moved out, there was nowhere to go except forwards. It must have been awful to think they’d won and then lose it, and not much better for all the other horses and connections who only have their places changed by default.

So ridiculously glad there wasn’t a fall though. I hope none of the horses involved got galloped on. Getting stripped down the back legs can permanently ruin a horse mentally and/or physically. There is more than one reason for this particular rule of racing.
AT STUD
DR... ROYAL ASSASSIN | WITTED
TR... DAY TO DAY | FIRST CLASS | MEGAPIXELS | MIJO | VALAR | WILDNESS
Future Sires... CINEMA (Y69 or 70) | TRAILBLAZING (Y68 or 69)
Corey Lange
Miler

Post by Corey Lange »

Regina Moore wrote: 4 years ago Just read that Jon Court on Long Range Toddy also claimed foul, so that makes more sense that a rider that was interfered with claimed foul. Since he finished 16th, Maximum Security had to be placed behind him.
Here's where my issue with this lies. The only Jockeys near the phone (on tv feed) were the 1,8 & 7. In addition the claim by the 18 wasn't included in the race notes, only the claim of the 20 was. The fact that these details came out 2 hours after the decision was made is the largest failure in the process, releasing a written statement immediately, it could have been the same as what she read, would have been much more useful for transparency and clarity.
Corey Lange
Miler

Post by Corey Lange »

Gwayne Mike wrote: 4 years ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci_ychn7ga0

Here's the replay.
I get that the 7 pushed wide, but for the this whole thing would have been avoided if the 1 wouldn't have been problematic, forcing his way through a hole that wasn't there. Watch the replay at the 3:59 mark, the 1 makes an initial push through and causes bumps, then backs and tries a 2nd time (the much talked about bump). The 7's turn wide for home wouldn't have been a problem without the 1 first causing interference (arguably twice) to try to squeeze between horses and putting himself and Wow in danger.
Louise Bayou
Hall of Fame

Post by Louise Bayou »

Corey Lange wrote: 4 years ago
Gwayne Mike wrote: 4 years ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci_ychn7ga0

Here's the replay.
I get that the 7 pushed wide, but for the this whole thing would have been avoided if the 1 wouldn't have been problematic, forcing his way through a hole that wasn't there. Watch the replay at the 3:59 mark, the 1 makes an initial push through and causes bumps, then backs and tries a 2nd time (the much talked about bump). The 7's turn wide for home wouldn't have been a problem without the 1 first causing interference (arguably twice) to try to squeeze between horses and putting himself and Wow in danger.

IMO, WoW(#1) was making a move and even if he had not gone through the hole then MS would have just ran into Country House and LRT. Maximum Security came out several horses wide.
“It’s like I’m driving a Mac truck with the speed of a Porsche and the brain of a rocket scientist,” Gary Stevens on Beholder
Louise Bayou
Hall of Fame

Post by Louise Bayou »

Dave Trainer wrote: 4 years ago He'd have kept the race under UK rules
wow really? that is crazy!
“It’s like I’m driving a Mac truck with the speed of a Porsche and the brain of a rocket scientist,” Gary Stevens on Beholder
Gwayne's World
Eclipse Champion

Post by Gwayne's World »

Large field, poor track condition, 150,000 screaming fans = recipe for a disaster that fortunately didn't happen!

On to the Preakness on the 18th.
Poldark | 3 time G1 winner. Including the Midsummer Classic. $42,500.
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

Cleo Patra wrote: 4 years ago As a jockey myself, I was horrified by the footage. I’ve been put in that same situation and it’s the only time I’ve ever been scared in a race. It was only the fact that MS kept his momentum up and sheer bloody luck that there wasn’t a terrible fall. Every jockey that could see or hear the situation would have stopped riding their race, if only momentarily. Given that it was the point when everyone wants to try to make a move, I have no doubt at all that it significantly impacted the outcome of the Derby. It’s extremely difficult for a horse to get a check and then get going again.

That said, I feel sorry for all connections. There was no way to prevent the horse shifting like that and once he’d already moved out, there was nowhere to go except forwards. It must have been awful to think they’d won and then lose it, and not much better for all the other horses and connections who only have their places changed by default.

So ridiculously glad there wasn’t a fall though. I hope none of the horses involved got galloped on. Getting stripped down the back legs can permanently ruin a horse mentally and/or physically. There is more than one reason for this particular rule of racing.
Thank you for your prospective. It must be horrifying to be behind something like this and watch it it unfold. Taking it into account that you’re balancing on your toes with a thin piece of metal to steer a 1000 pound animal who is basically only taught to run and is in full gear. It’s kind of amazing there aren’t more accidents.

Stay safe Cleo.
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Dave Trainer »

Louise Bayou wrote: 4 years ago
Dave Trainer wrote: 4 years ago He'd have kept the race under UK rules
wow really? that is crazy!
Not as crazy as placing him 17th behind a horse who wouldn't have beaten him.

Horses rarely get disqualified now here.
Nini Panini
Eclipse Champion

Post by Nini Panini »

100% the right call in my opinion. I'll die on this hill.
"How do you describe perfection? Why try, let's just watch her run!"
Kenneth Prater
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Kenneth Prater »

Interesting comments but now that it is over, I will say MS is the real deal and he will be back. I look forward to him winning some big races.
Jo Ferris
Hall of Fame

Post by Jo Ferris »

No doubt in my mind this was the right call. I'll admit, WoW was my pick to win, but MS was the best horse in the race, very likely would've won without the interference, but that was DANGEROUS! That could've gone a LOT worse, WoW is the real MVP for keeping his legs under him despite obvious contact and not clipping heels with MS, if he did, that would've been disastrous, with WoW's position, there would've been several horses down had he gone down. Definitely the right call was made, you can't have a horse doing that. Looking at the replay it looks like MS drifted out just after the 3f pole too, not as bad and there weren't as many horses right there (maybe forced #18 to steady a touch), anyone else see that? MS looked like he was all over the place around that turn
Arabian:
Money Run Low - 7.5k
Cass Ole - 5k
Mugello - 5k
All I'll Praise - 5k
Zandvoort - 10k

Paint:
Toby Flenderson - 15k
One In The Woods - 5k
We Can Be Heros - 5k
FLD Eclipse - 3.5k
Scooter - 3.5k
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

Jo Ferris wrote: 4 years ago No doubt in my mind this was the right call. I'll admit, WoW was my pick to win, but MS was the best horse in the race, very likely would've won without the interference, but that was DANGEROUS! That could've gone a LOT worse, WoW is the real MVP for keeping his legs under him despite obvious contact and not clipping heels with MS, if he did, that would've been disastrous, with WoW's position, there would've been several horses down had he gone down. Definitely the right call was made, you can't have a horse doing that. Looking at the replay it looks like MS drifted out just after the 3f pole too, not as bad and there weren't as many horses right there (maybe forced #18 to steady a touch), anyone else see that? MS looked like he was all over the place around that turn
After 35 years in the game, I wholeheartedly agree with you! Watching it, I was worried they wouldn’t do the right thing and take him down. Experience is everything and he ran green as grass. He will be a terror in races to come.

As for placing him where they did, they could have disqualified him completely and given the jock days, as he seemed more concerned with pushing him on, than trying to get him out of trouble. Before everybody starts whining, I did not say they should have, but could have. So it could have been worse for his connections.
Kenneth Prater
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Kenneth Prater »

I guess now we wait to see if there is an appeal. The connections can't go over the footage with the stewards until the 9th but I believe an appeal has to be filed between 48-72 hrs after the race. Just think of the discussion if they would reverse this.
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

With a cut of 3 million at stake, it would be worth it, wouldn’t it? Do they have penalties for frivolous appeals?
Kenneth Prater
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Kenneth Prater »

I doubt they reverse the decison. A lot of bettors would be outraged.