2019 Alberta Racing Season Wrap

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Mara Jade Vess
Miler

2019 Alberta Racing Season Wrap

Post by Mara Jade Vess »

With the horses soon to be on their way to the track for spring training, I figured I'd do a little thing showing off the kids because I'm proud of them. For those who don't know (which is pretty much all of you), my family has owned and bred racehorses in Alberta for over 40 years. We don't breed anymore, and we claim our horses instead with the odd auction purchase through a partnership.

This year we had our brand new track open – the only 1 mile oval in Canada west of Toronto, Century Mile. Previous to that, we'd run at Northlands (first start was in the late 80s with the first win in 1990 with this absolute legend of a homebred, Zurbriggen), Evergreen Park, Fort Erie, Stampede Park (now defunct), and eventually, Century Downs. We came into the season with three horses, and we ended up running in the 1st ever race at Century Mile, finishing 3rd.

Our season was decent. We finished the year 17: 3-3-6, including a stakes placing, with $32,449 in earnings (the purses here are very sad).

Anyway, here are some photos (I can post full res. if you're really interested).

The two boys, Irish Gold (bay) and Dense Fog (grey). Irish was foaled in Alberta and Foggy was foaled in Kentucky at Clarkland, the same farm that owns Leslie's Lady. Irish is the favourite child. We also have another mare who's now 8 but I don't have any good photos of her. Her name is Lyla Lorraine (Lyla), an Ontario-bred who came to Alberta a few years back. All of them love peppermints.
Image Image

Our trainer's horse, Smart Fix, sizing up her competition before she smoked them all in an 18/1 upset. She finished the year 7: 3-2-0, all in stakes company and earnings of $104,430. She won the premier race for older females in the province, the Alberta-bred older female stakes, and the Fall Distaff against some tough horses. If she doesn't win horse of the year, champion older female, and Alberta-bred of the Year, I'm rioting.
The race before the Canadian Derby was Irish's race. He didn't do so hot, wilting to 9th after being off for two months because his races weren't filling.
Not one of ours, but later that weekend was the Canadian Derby, Western Canada's premier race for three year-olds. It was considered to be the deepest field in the race's 80+ year history. This was my favourite horse, Godolphin-owned Journeyman, who crossed the wire first but was DQed to 2nd after interference in the stretch.
The entire tarmac was packed full of people (admission is free to the tracks always). This was my view standing on one of the benches as they passed us for the first time. I hadn't been to a Canadian Derby for years, and this one was definitely a ton of fun.
Foggy in the paddock behind a good kid for once in his life.
The break. Foggy is the giant grey one in the middle looking regal.

In early September, we moved down to Century Downs in Calgary, where I live from September through to April. The 2-month meet is highlighted by Alberta Fall Classic Day, a day to showcase the best Alberta-breds in training. Last year, Irish won the sprint race, the Red Diamond Express Handicap, and you can view that race replay here.
This year, he was going back in that race and gutted it out, finishing 2nd by a neck. The horse that beat him would go on to win Century Downs' top race, the Harvest Plate.
Irish after the Red Diamond Express Handicap with his grooms, Zac (handler) and Raule (just hanging out but he smiled for me).
Later that day, Smarty was running, and she toyed with them. Here she was focused in the paddock.
and then all by herself in the stretch. She ended up winning by almost 5 lengths.
The last race of the year for Irish was an allowance optional claiming. He finished 5th in this race one he didn't get the lead (he refuses to rate and will fight you if you try to make him).

Foggy finished off his year in Calgary with two straight wins (don't have any photos because it was cold and miserable). This year, he went 7: 3-2-3 and never lost by more than a combined length. He also won his debut back after 17 months of being off.
Irish ended 6: 0-1-2 with $12,811 in earnings. He will likely be getting a class break and will run in the higher end of Alberta claimers this coming year but we'll see how everything goes.

Anyway that's what I've got for now. Hopefully it's interesting seeing the less-flashy tracks – it's definitely no Churchill or Saratoga but our little circuit is still loads of fun. If you're interested in hearing more feel free to ask, I love talking about the kids and racing in general!
At Stud
Chuck Tingle – DR
$7,500
Dream All Day – DR
$12,500

Coming Soon
Y59: Sunrise inthe Dawn – AWR
Y60: Faded Memory – DR

A Complete Historical Guide to the Louisville Derby
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Re: 2019 Alberta Racing Season Wrap

Post by Rochelle Bos »

I LOVE THIS! Also we 100% need to hang out at the track this year! We were probably so close to each other at the Canadian Derby haha Also I am glad that the winner got DQed, cause my WIN bet was on the horse who finished second >:D

I also may have pictures of your horses! I will peak!
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Darcy McBride
Hall of Fame

Post by Darcy McBride »

I enjoyed the pics and stories of your "kids". I would be super proud of them, too, if they were mine. Let us know how they do in spring training this year!
DM: AMERICATION MISCHIEF & JAMBOREE
TM: NIGHTWATCH
DS: SINISTER MISTER/THE HELLHOUND/DARKANDSTORMYNIGHT
AWR: TUSCANY GOLD
QH DS: EL RAY SOL
QH DM: MARK ME CHROMED
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

That was fun! Thanks for sharing your kids with us.
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

Always glad to hear about racing alive and well in the Canadian west. It's hanging by a thread in BC for sure.
Thanks for sharing photos of your babies. Good luck this season!
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Bertie Bassett
Miler

Post by Bertie Bassett »

Lovely pictures. Is this the track in Edmonton, and do you ever race at Calgary (Balzac) ?
Good luck with them in 2020
Shannon Hunt
Eclipse Champion

Post by Shannon Hunt »

Nice wrap-up but you've got a typo- ***Foggy is the favorite child. Sorry, Irish, you're a good kid too.
DENSE FOG - AWS multiple freak producer
YOU WILL BE FOUND - DR millionaire producer
Also standing arabian sprinter ISKANDAR ELAKBAR, all weather router SUNRISE INTHE DAWN, and chasers RACING PIRATE and SURVIVOR SE LEVE
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Bertie Bassett wrote: 4 years ago Lovely pictures. Is this the track in Edmonton, and do you ever race at Calgary (Balzac) ?
Century Mile is just outside Edmonton, and Century Downs is in Calgary ☺️
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program

Mara Jade Vess
Miler

Post by Mara Jade Vess »

Thanks guys! The boys and our lady will be very happy that their fans have expanded!
Rochelle Zahacy wrote: 4 years ago I LOVE THIS! Also we 100% need to hang out at the track this year! We were probably so close to each other at the Canadian Derby haha Also I am glad that the winner got DQed, cause my WIN bet was on the horse who finished second >:D

I also may have pictures of your horses! I will peak!
For sure! I'll keep you posted when I'll be there, I'll look to go opening day since we normally have one in (also they're opening the track for training on Feb 24th instead of Feb 1st which is annoying but whatever).

Also I went looking for ones of the Club, and found Whoopy before the Oaks (and when I was photographing the race, I was right in front of a bunch of club members near the wire so I'd imagine we were right by each other lol).
Bertie Bassett wrote: 4 years ago Lovely pictures. Is this the track in Edmonton, and do you ever race at Calgary (Balzac) ?
Yes, the top ones are all from Edmonton and the later ones are from Balzac. Both the boys like Century Downs a lot more because of the short stretch and they love the lead – the stretch at Century Mile is tough for them to hold because of how long it is. Foggy has a record of 5: 3-2-1 on it and Irish is 6: 2-2-0 on it
Shannon Hunt wrote: 4 years ago Nice wrap-up but you've got a typo- ***Foggy is the favorite child. Sorry, Irish, you're a good kid too.
this take isn't even hot it's just straight up bad

I'll be keeping you guys posted – likely won't have much from now until the meet starts in late April because I won't be up north for a while (will be doing a lot of photography at Spruce Meadows in the meantime). But in case I forget to update (which I do a lot), here are their Equibase profiles:

Irish Gold
Dense Fog
Lyla Lorraine (ownership & trainer is not yet updated as she was claimed by us in her last start)

Century also offers a free live stream, so if people are interested in actually watching them come race day I'd be happy to share the links!
At Stud
Chuck Tingle – DR
$7,500
Dream All Day – DR
$12,500

Coming Soon

Cleo Patra
Hall of Fame

Post by Cleo Patra »

This is fascinating to me. It does remind me of the non TAB country circuit in my own state. Maybe one day I’ll fly over and ride there. Canada is on my list of places I want to do a jockeying holiday to
AT STUD
DR... ROYAL ASSASSIN | WITTED
TR... DAY TO DAY | FIRST CLASS | MEGAPIXELS | MIJO | VALAR | WILDNESS
Future Sires... CINEMA (Y69 or 70) | TRAILBLAZING (Y68 or 69)
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Cleo Patra wrote: 4 years ago This is fascinating to me. It does remind me of the non TAB country circuit in my own state. Maybe one day I’ll fly over and ride there. Canada is on my list of places I want to do a jockeying holiday to
Do it! If you come to Century Mile I’ll come watch you ride! 😉
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program

Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

I found some pictures!!!

(Sorry not sorry that Zucchini beat your pony ;) :P :lol: )

Edit: BLERG I was only looking for the blue shadow roll with the white on it haha I'll go look more! XD
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program

Mara Jade Vess
Miler

Post by Mara Jade Vess »

Rochelle Zahacy wrote: 4 years ago I found some pictures!!!

:lol: That guy actually isn't ours, he is trained by our trainer and she has a partial stake in him (the blue and white blinkers are hers because ours somehow went missing when Irish shipped to Winnipeg for a race that never filled) – he's owned by a few people who also own Smarty. His name is Speedy (registered name Top Notch Scotch) and he held the track record for about 20 minutes once and we were very proud.

also if you're looking for my ponies, we've got the green and gold diamond hoop silks if that helps at all with the search
At Stud
Chuck Tingle – DR
$7,500
Dream All Day – DR
$12,500

Coming Soon

Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Tamara Vess wrote: 4 years ago
Rochelle Zahacy wrote: 4 years ago I found some pictures!!!

:lol: That guy actually isn't ours, he is trained by our trainer and she has a partial stake in him (the blue and white blinkers are hers because ours somehow went missing when Irish shipped to Winnipeg for a race that never filled) – he's owned by a few people who also own Smarty. His name is Speedy (registered name Top Notch Scotch) and he held the track record for about 20 minutes once and we were very proud.

also if you're looking for my ponies, we've got the green and gold diamond hoop silks if that helps at all with the search
Hahaha! I was so excited 😂
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program