Being a groom

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Being a groom

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Anyone have any experience with being a groom? What’s a day in the life like? How about race days? Did you like it?

I’ve been thinking about applying with a local trainer who trained one of our club horses last year. But I’m a little nervous since I’ve never done it before!

I used to own horses (I sold them 4 years ago) though they were an Arabian and half Arabian. I also worked as a stable hand and tacking assistant for lessons right out of high school. And as a kid I used to “work” at a stable where my parents paid for me to ride every other week so I could get extra lessons (yay free child labour lol). That “work” also involved catching, grooming, and tacking up horses for lessons.

I absolutely love horses, and it would be amazing to get back to it if I could just get the confidence to jump into it.

Probably my biggest hesitation is a few years back I got a job at a stable, they required me to do a trial day before I was officially hired. After that day I couldn’t go back. They had these beautiful horses who got turned out into 20’ x 20’ “paddocks” and would get yelled at if they moved faster than a walk or got spunky...They spent their lives in 12x12 stalls or these tiny turn outs. Their owners would only come out to ride once a week with their coach, and wouldn’t do any of the horse care themselves. It was heartbreaking to me. It was our job to do the basics, feed/water, take in and out of the barn, and clean stalls. Though I had my own horses then so my horse pet quota was being sufficiently met, now, not so much 😜

Anyway! This is way longer than I meant it to be...In short: I’d love to know more about being a groom, especially personal experiences!
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Re: Being a groom

Post by The Steward »

I loved being a groom and loved working at the track, but it is absolutely grueling on the body. Seven days a week, gotta be there by 4am, many afternoons you have to return as well. A lot of heavy lifting, a lot of squatting and some racehorses aren't really gentle.

You might actually try to be a part time hot walker, which is still grueling but not nearly as much. You might really like it, walking in circles with a horsey snuffling alongside you, and holding horses for baths.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

I feel like I need an “in” to the racing scene, though even if this does count as an “in” I still have to find the courage to network and talk with the humans 😅

I don’t think I can just walk up to someone and say hey, if you need someone to hot walk, lmk. Though, maybe if I don’t get this job I can ask him to let me know if they need a part time hot walker or something 🤔
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program

The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Rochelle Zahacy wrote: 4 years ago I feel like I need an “in” to the racing scene, though even if this does count as an “in” I still have to find the courage to network and talk with the humans 😅

I don’t think I can just walk up to someone and say hey, if you need someone to hot walk, lmk. Though, maybe if I don’t get this job I can ask him to let me know if they need a part time hot walker or something 🤔
Tracks virtually ALWAYS need help. You go to the stable gate, say you're looking for a job, and they make a PA announcement to all trainers that there is a hot walker at the gate. Problem is that if you do it that way you are expected to show up on time every time.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

The Steward wrote: 4 years ago
Rochelle Zahacy wrote: 4 years ago I feel like I need an “in” to the racing scene, though even if this does count as an “in” I still have to find the courage to network and talk with the humans 😅

Tracks virtually ALWAYS need help. You go to the stable gate, say you're looking for a job, and they make a PA announcement to all trainers that there is a hot walker at the gate. Problem is that if you do it that way you are expected to show up on time every time.
That is...so simple lol seems so out of the norm 😂
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program

Anthony L Carder
Miler

Post by Anthony L Carder »

As Em stated, it's a grueling job. I did it for 5 or 6 years and although it can be very rewarding, it can take its toll on your body as well. I highly suggest starting out as a hot walker. As you become comfortable with that, and if you feel up to the task, you could transition to a groom. My biggest pieces of advice would be to try and get in with a reputable trainer, don't hesitate to ask questions, and always be aware of your surroundings, as fun as it is to work around the track, it can be a dangerous one too.
000 ALC Ranch~conveniently located next to Cimarron Park~

Haven's Cab-Appy Sprinter-$5,000
Alc Shark On Fire-TB DS-$12,500
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

The racetrack does not do part time, lol. Curious, but how old are you Rochelle? It takes a lot of strength and vigour to work at the track. If you’re not an alpha personality, I’d forget it.
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

Rochelle Zahacy wrote: 4 years ago
The Steward wrote: 4 years ago

That is...so simple lol seems so out of the norm 😂
Getting in is easy, staying in is the hard part.