What is your role in the racing industry?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Re: What is your role in the racing industry?

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

I graduated from the Equine program at the University of Louisville in 1994. I've worked on 2 TB breeding farms as a groom, one little breed-to-race operation with just a couple of mares and one really large one owned by the Dubai folks. I was a research assistant to an Econ profesor in college, where we had some studies on pricing TB published in the Blood Horse. I've also worked as an equine insurance adjuster.

I've own/have owned several TB racers in CA, both alone and in partnership. I'm involved with some of the industry groups that work with public relations and lobbying efforts, sometimes creating training or publications for them, speaking at meetings, or just being a point of contact for questions. I may potentially be doing some consulting soon re partnerships between the racing and sports betting industry, pending the outcome of November's state elections in various jurisdictions.

I was on the equestrian team at U of L and I rode jumping horses and trained riding horses as a kid. I also used to buy TB from the slaughter auction and re-train them to be riding horses. And I have been studying TB bloodlines and pedigrees since I was 10. One of my favorite rainy day activities when visiting KY is to curl up in the Keeneland library and study!

Kinda all over the map lol!
Mara Jade Vess
Miler

Post by Mara Jade Vess »

My family was into quarter horses and then thoroughbreds and has been for about 40+ years, so I was born into the ownership group and essentially grew up at our now-defunct local track, Northlands Park. Now, we have two active racehorses, both boys, who run in the higher claiming/allowance, even the odd stakes. We also have 50% of a foal out of a mare we campaigned, and are currently "shopping" so to speak. I have a thread on this subforum that goes more into detail about the horses as well, though I'm bad at keeping it updated.

My personal involvement outside of that is I help one of the larger breeders here with their social media and info design projects, and I run a Twitter account for the thoroughbred Class A Alberta circuit (@trackside_alta if anyone is interested).

As for some advice: depending on what you want to do, make sure you get to know people who are in that area. Like in most walks of life, who you know is very important.
At Stud
Chuck Tingle – DR
$7,500
Dream All Day – DR
$12,500

Coming Soon
Y59: Sunrise inthe Dawn – AWR
Y60: Faded Memory – DR

A Complete Historical Guide to the Louisville Derby
Brad Fabman
Derby Contender

Post by Brad Fabman »

I claimed a harness horse back in 1985. I got 9 starts out of him before he broke down one night. Luckily I didn't have to put him down but he never raced again. That experience didn't sit well with me. I was told by a successful trainer that you can't treat them like pets. You have to treat them like a means to an end. At that point I decided that would not be the right game for me. He was clearly a pet and when he was hurting, I hurt.
Fabman Farms - Simmy Awards Won: Y54-Quarter Horse Champion Three Year Old Female - Beena's Gold
Cleo Patra
Hall of Fame

Post by Cleo Patra »

Brad Fabman wrote: 3 years ago I claimed a harness horse back in 1985. I got 9 starts out of him before he broke down one night. Luckily I didn't have to put him down but he never raced again. That experience didn't sit well with me. I was told by a successful trainer that you can't treat them like pets. You have to treat them like a means to an end. At that point I decided that would not be the right game for me. He was clearly a pet and when he was hurting, I hurt.
I think *most* trainers in Australia have moved on from that particular viewpoint, with the exception being the huge stables who just churn through them to find the toughest horses. A lot of those end up with more compassionate trainers who patch them back together and then spend a lot on chiropractors and PEMF and lotions and potions. In six years and nearly 2000 rides I’ve never had one break down or die on course, although I have seen it happen. I have had a handful of career ending injuries present post race, mostly tendons or knee chips. I do get trainers giving me instructions specific to scratchy horses, like “he had a stone bruise last week and he’s been fine but if he feels terrible, just let him coast to the line and we’ll reassess” or “he had knee surgery a while back so see if you can get the starter to load you a bit later so he doesn’t get stiff standing in there”. I have 11 horses at home and they are all racehorses AND pets. Can’t go into my stables without getting mobbed for chin and ear scratches and my Dad can’t go in without his hat being stolen by one of my cadre of mischievous redheads. Don’t ask me why chestnuts are so full of cheek. It’s a thing.
AT STUD
DR... ROYAL ASSASSIN | WITTED
TR... DAY TO DAY | FIRST CLASS | MEGAPIXELS | MIJO | VALAR | WILDNESS
Future Sires... CINEMA (Y69 or 70) | TRAILBLAZING (Y68 or 69)
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

Brad Fabman wrote: 3 years ago I claimed a harness horse back in 1985. I got 9 starts out of him before he broke down one night. Luckily I didn't have to put him down but he never raced again. That experience didn't sit well with me. I was told by a successful trainer that you can't treat them like pets. You have to treat them like a means to an end. At that point I decided that would not be the right game for me. He was clearly a pet and when he was hurting, I hurt.
* that. Mine are pets and come first.
Louise Bayou
Hall of Fame

Post by Louise Bayou »

My mom was actually the first woman to have her trainers license in Louisiana. Needless to say I grew up on the backsides of all the race tracks and match tracks around south Louisiana. She trained Quarter horses and the odd TB sprinter. She always put the horses first and that is something i'll always be proud of her for.
“It’s like I’m driving a Mac truck with the speed of a Porsche and the brain of a rocket scientist,” Gary Stevens on Beholder
Glenn Larson
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Glenn Larson »

Prior to meeting my Mississippi cowgirl wife, I had no connection to the horse industry outside of occasionally catching a race on TV. In the past 15 years, we've dabbled in breeding for track racing while focused on breeding QH and Paints for barrel racing. Recently, we acquired 3 very nice TB mares and are researching stallion options with the help of some SIM friends here (thanks, Elise, Em and others).
Glenn Larson
Stallion Rosters

Thoroughbred Stallions

Mixer Stallions
LA Pepper
Grade 1 Winner

Post by LA Pepper »

Glenn - since you live in Mississippi, have you ever heard of a horse/stallion reg as 'Good Boy Roy' but often called 'the govenor'? I sold him years ago as a weanling, to a woman in Miss. who was going to use him to produce barrel and gaming horses. They advertised him as 'black' but he was a dark bay and he is a grandson of Secretariat. I lost track of the owner who I believe had sold him and can find no reference to him. He would be about 15 years old now. I don't like to loose track of my babies. :(
Glenn Larson
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Glenn Larson »

Pepper- We actually live in Louisiana and have not heard of the horse under either name. The jockey club allowed re use of the registered name in 2018 and we couldn't find a record of even a single foal anywhere. I suspect the weanling didn't make it to the breeding shed.
Glenn Larson
Stallion Rosters

Thoroughbred Stallions

Mixer Stallions
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

Pepper Carol wrote: 3 years ago Glenn - since you live in Mississippi, have you ever heard of a horse/stallion reg as 'Good Boy Roy' but often called 'the govenor'? I sold him years ago as a weanling, to a woman in Miss. who was going to use him to produce barrel and gaming horses. They advertised him as 'black' but he was a dark bay and he is a grandson of Secretariat. I lost track of the owner who I believe had sold him and can find no reference to him. He would be about 15 years old now. I don't like to loose track of my babies. :(
Who was his dam? I might be able to find him for you.
Glenn Larson
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Glenn Larson »

Delray Vera, 2005 foal by Santiago Red by Secretariat. Equibase has nothing
Last edited by Glenn Larson 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn Larson
Stallion Rosters

Thoroughbred Stallions

Mixer Stallions
LA Pepper
Grade 1 Winner

Post by LA Pepper »

Actually DelRAY Vera. Thanks for all the looking but I don't want to take over the thread on this. I have feelers out to Appen. QH registry.
Glenn Larson
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Glenn Larson »

Pepper Carol wrote: 3 years ago Actually DelRAY Vera. Thanks for all the looking but I don't want to take over the thread on this. I have feelers out to Appen. QH registry.
Sorry, my error. All the looking we did was under Delray... I'm really curious now if you find anything

p/s fixed original error
Glenn Larson
Stallion Rosters

Thoroughbred Stallions

Mixer Stallions
LA Pepper
Grade 1 Winner

Post by LA Pepper »

NEBO ( stupid name, but maybe cause I have no idea what it means AND she's a girl ) is running her first race at Belmont on Sunday !! She was born on my farm. Alas its in a claiming race so I suspect her connections are not very high on her. Can't wait to see her though. Its always cool to watch your babies grow up!!
Brian Chunn
Miler

Post by Brian Chunn »

I worked in racing for 42 years,had a few rides as an apprentice,was a groom/work rider then as head lad for 27 years (for Peter Chapple-Hyam (1991-99/2004/2018 - John Gosden 2000/2003),i worked for John Hawke at Carbine Lodge Mordialloc and Colin Hayes at Lyndsey Park in 1989.I have been very fortunate to have worked with some wonderful horses and fantastic people and feel very blessed,i am now retired and living in a "racing village" so see horses every day.