Zippy Chippy

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Zippy Chippy

Post by Stormy Peak »

I just read he passed away. : (

100 races, No wins....8 second place finishes....12 third place finishes. Earned $30,834

https://oldfriendsequine.org/zippy-chip ... ead-at-31/
--------
Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Anthony Zappulla
Hall of Fame

Re: Zippy Chippy

Post by Anthony Zappulla »

Lmao
Out of the Gate Early its Let's Go to the Mall and Do Some Shopping, followed by Baby Crying, then we have Are we there Yet!! :roll:
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

What's so funny about the death of a horse who was beloved by thousands fans?
Zippy was never raced in claimers, because his owner didn't want to lose him, so he raced against horses who were a bit better quality than he was...he seemed to like to run, but just wasn't that talented.

Still for that era, he won a nice amount over the years...in today's terms, it would equal about $58,000 -- if you kind of figured it at 1997 dollars, about half way through his career.

----------
Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

His story is funny. You can see that from reading the first half of that article.
;p
LA Pepper
Grade 1 Winner

Post by LA Pepper »

actually he didn't like to run. He was forced to run by an owner that liked the notoriety. He refused to leave the starting gate on many occasions, so even the track management, who loved the spectators he attracted, had to ban him from their tracks due to disgruntled bettors.
Anthony Zappulla
Hall of Fame

Oh dang that's a diff story
Out of the Gate Early its Let's Go to the Mall and Do Some Shopping, followed by Baby Crying, then we have Are we there Yet!! :roll:
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

LA Pepper wrote: 1 year ago actually he didn't like to run. He was forced to run by an owner that liked the notoriety. He refused to leave the starting gate on many occasions, so even the track management, who loved the spectators he attracted, had to ban him from their tracks due to disgruntled bettors.
There are, I believe 2 thoughts on his owner...those who think he was almost evil...and those who think he did love his horse and Zippy also liked to run.

I'm one of the latter, and this is my reasoning...

He was, from what I read, temperamental, and would sometimes not break, or just stop after coming out of the gates. But for the most part, he ran.

Given that from the get go, his owner/trainer never ran him in claimers, I have to believe the guy really had an attachment to the horse, and never wanted to give up on Zippy. Most people would have tried to unload the horse in a cheap claimer or just sent a horse like that to the slaughter house.

Monty Roberts once saved a horse's career by designing a blanket that would pull off the horse as the horse exited the gates. That horse was freaking out in the gates so much it was going to get banned. That blanket trick fixed that...as it seems the horse didn't like the feel of the gate rails on the sides of his back legs. Zippy might have had similar or different issues that were just never figured out. So to say for certain that 'he didn't like to run' -- no one really knows. But his owner, I think, knew if his horse liked to run or not and I'll take his word for it, given how he never got rid of the horse after 30, 40, 50...and so on losses.

Stormy
Last edited by Stormy Peak 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Anthony Zappulla
Hall of Fame

Here go a quote from owner

According to Monserrate, "This horse is mean. ... He's been mean all his life."

Lol so that should explain somethings lol