Melbourne Spring Carnival Thread

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Peter Gleason
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter Gleason »

It may be a bit early, but with the big guns coming back this week I'm already pumped for it. Not sure if there's any real interest here, but I endeavour to post fields and results now and then. Hopefully there'll be a couple other people I can talk to here ;) There's already markets up at Betstar.com.au

Cox Plate

Weekend Hussler 4.50
Light Fantastic 6.00
Maldivian, Sirmione 17.00
Duke Of Marmalade (IRE), Princess Coup, Racing To Win, Tuesday Joy 21.00
C'est La Guerre, Henrythenavigator (IRE), Pompeii Ruler, Triple Honour 26.00

Melbourne Cup

Efficient, Septimus (IRE) 13.00
Weekend Hussler 17.00
C'est La Guerre, Kibbutz, Maldivian, Nom Du Jeu (NZ) 21.00
Alexander Of Hales, Littorio, Master OReilly, Tuesday Joy, Viewed 26.00

Caulfield Cup

Weekend Hussler 4.60
C'est La Guerre, Kibbutz, Maldivian 21.00
Alexander Of Hales, Eskimo Queen, Light Fantastic, Master OReilly, Nom Du Jeu (NZ), Septimus (IRE), Viewed, Zipping 26.00

The picture will be a bit clearer after this weekend, but at this early stage I like the Huss in the Caulfield Cup, Light Fantastic in the Cox Plate and Tuesday Joy in the Melbourne Cup.
Big Changes Electrocutionist x Subtle Admiration (Future Hero) $5K
Forty Four Years Worlds Abound x October Magic (Lokite Magic) $1K
Piston Azamour x Ipi Tombe (Manshood) $7.5K
Peter Gleason
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter Gleason »

Ok...i'll give this thread one more bump and if there's no responses i'll officially give up.

Massive day of racing today...I just saw the Memsie which was won in an unispiring way by Weekend Hussler. I'm still not convinced by him. There was a great run by Pompeii Ruler (2nd Cox Plate 06) in third and Maldivian (2nd) is coming along nicely. There were also good runs behind the placegetters by Sirmione, Tuesday joy and C'Est Le Guerre. Princess Coup ran in NZ and came 9th in her first up run. I didn't see the race but was told she ran on ok.

Miss Andretti came a long last in her race and was retired.
Rachel Sadler
Turf Router

Post by Rachel Sadler »

Im not convinced about Weekend Hussler either Peter, I reckon as the races get longer you will find that horses like Maldivian will grind Hussler into the ground.

Pompei Ruler was the run of the race, 1st start back and he was mowing them down, he will be one to watch in future races as will C'EST LA GUERRE, who was last coming around the bend.

Would have to say that Scenic Blast was disappointing in that race as well, especially after his first up win at Caulfield.

Miss Andretti was very disappointing and a shame to see such a fantstic mare leave the racing circuit with a distanced on her record, that race was certainly not indicative of the old Miss.

Did you manage to catch Ashikaga's race? What an awesome horse, I can see him going places. Today was his 4th start for his 4th win, and all done since July this year.

I dont like to pick horses this early out for the cups and the plate, I like to wait a bit longer and see what international visitors we will be getting if any with the new bio-security rules.
"I wish people will tell me when there unhappy"

We did, and you didn't do anything to fix the reason why we are unhappy!
Peter Gleason
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter Gleason »

Yeah caught Ashikaga's race on the telstra bigpond website- he just controlled the race and won easily. Was a good win and if he gets into the Epsom with a light weight should run very well. Raheeb looks like a good Epsom horse as well in the last.

Considering Scenic Blast is a sprinter/miler, his run was terrible. I think he was in a forward posiiton in the race, maybe he likes to come from behind. I don't reckon he or Alamosa are good enough for the Plate, but they should be good for races like Toorak/Emirates.
Peter Gleason
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter Gleason »

I'll give this thread a bump again...

Just got back from Moonee Valley. The Feehan was a weird race. They went really hard in front and Maldivian couldn't hold on against the swoopers. I think Pompeii Ruler was wide so it might pay to forgive him too. Guillotine is absolutely crazy (I saw him up close today) but could be a Caulfield Cup chance after his impressive win. I reckon he can place behind WH in the Cox as well. If Casual Pass doesn't get injured he might win the Sandown Classic.

In the mares race Devil Moon and Tuesday Joy were huge runs. Both were wide the whole race but were a class above that lot
Matthew McMahon
Classic Contender

Post by Matthew McMahon »

I will be back in Australia in a few weeks. Have no idea about anything, at the moment. But than again, even when I do watch, I still have no idea about anything!
Michael Edwards
Classic Contender

Post by Michael Edwards »

ive followed Littorio for a while now and after his Vic Derby last year and great run in the Makybe Stakes recently it's starting to pay off! (paid $14.00 a place) The longer races the better he gets. I just hope WH isn't the greatest horse ever and win everything from 1100m to 3200m, starting even money everytime and making it very unatractive to bet on. :angry:
Stars Of Tomorrow
Multi SIMMY winner
Get 'The Star Man' Bloodline Here!

Luxury
Top earning son of Turf Sprinter, 'the blessed savior of the breed' Berlioz

Coming Soon.....
Hagrid
Multi Grade 1 winning Giant Turf Miler
Peter Gleason
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter Gleason »

There's no doubt Littorio is a quality horse, but I don't recall him ever winning a race (I just checked and he's only won the one). He's always running on saying 'back me next time'. If he doesn't win a lead up like the Mooney Valley Cup I'm prepared to pass on him. If WH wins the Caulfield surely he'll have like 58kg in the Melbourne Cup and I don't think you'd need to worry about him too much. Septimus looks very hard to beat though, after his 13 length romp of the St Leger. I'm still skeptical- we've seen the highly rated Euros come over and fail before.

Cleo, I think Godolphin are sending All the Good and maybe a couple companions. Off the top of my head I don't think Darley wouldn't have inherited any Cup hopes from Woodlands
Matthew McMahon
Classic Contender

Cleo Patra wrote: The Cox Plate looks exciting to me, but I don't think there will ever be another Cox Plate like the one Fields of Omagh won in 2006. My family are good friends with one of his majority owners, so it was hugely exciting for us.

Can't believe I'll be missing out on watching the Melbourne Cup again this year *mutters about time differences* November always makes me sulk now that I'm in England :P

Anyway, the Cup field still looks quite short. Usually at least 20 horses will actually jump from the barriers on the day. Well, apart from when the Equine Influenza hit Oz *shudders* That had and is still having a pretty serious effect on the racing industry.

Any idea how many Dubai are throwing into these races? They seem determined to put horses in every major race on the planet and they recently purchased Australia's biggest Thoroughbred breeding operations.
I missed the 2004 and 2006 seasons by being in Europe. No need to complain, just open a TAB Online Account and either watch the Live Video Streams on the Internet or listen to the Live Streaming Radio.

I did this both years .... meant I was up all night .... but worth it :D

But in all honesty, the most important thing for me right now, is finding somewhere to watch the AFL Grand Final :) It will be only 2 days before I fly home :( I'm still in Siberia than, and no way to watch it here ... so I am flying to Kiev (Ukraine) next week, and than home from there :) There must be a bar showing it there .... alot more expats :D

So any tips on who will win it this year? And please do not mention last year .... you can all see my stable colours, and I remember .... I was at the game!!!!!

:)
Peter Gleason
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter Gleason »

At least your team had made the fianls in the past few years ;) Although it looks good for us next year

I was at the Hawthorn-Bulldogs game last week and was very impressed with the Hawks. Their pressure was so great that the Bulldogs kept on making careless errors. I think they could beat Geelong- there was nothing between the two when the last played. Hopefully Stkilda don't beat the Hawks next week- they will get slaughtered if they meet Geelong in the granny.

Also for those interested you can watch Australian races for free at this website:

<a href='http://horseracing.bigpond.com/other.aspx' target='_blank'>http://horseracing.bigpond.com/other.aspx</a>
Matthew McMahon
Classic Contender

Geelong - Hawthorn would be great!

It's funny how the AFL draft, etc was meant to mean the end of dynasties ... yet me still had Brisbane a few years ago ... and now Geelong who could be anything!
Peter Gleason
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter Gleason »

Peter Gleason wrote: Yeah caught Ashikaga's race on the telstra bigpond website- he just controlled the race and won easily. Was a good win and if he gets into the Epsom with a light weight should run very well. Raheeb looks like a good Epsom horse as well in the last.
I hope someone got the Raheeb- Ashikaga quinella today. I certianly didn't :(

For the most part the draft works (Hawthorn, Bulldogs, StK all have been close to the bottom this decade). I haven't looked it up but Geelong have had a lot of successful father sons this decade which could explain why they are so good. Off the top of my head thay've gotten Scarlett and Gary Ablett jr for third round picks
Michael Edwards
Classic Contender

Brisbane got some great concessions and draft insentives to merg with fitzroy so it may have taken a while to come to fruition but that could explain their 'dynasty'

Can't wait to see who essendon can snag for lovett. I've heard he is somehow involved in the warnock to melbourne or carlton trade, i think they want draft picks, it will be the last 'clean' draft before the Gold Coast team tamper with the system. :angry: way too many concessions.
Stars Of Tomorrow
Multi SIMMY winner

Luxury

Coming Soon.....
Hagrid
Matthew McMahon
Classic Contender

So the Gold Coast thing is definitely going ahead?

I already think the fixtures list sucks with 16 teams and 22 games ... no equity. So 17 is going to * with it even more.

When Port came in, we had nowhere near the level of concessions and basically started with a young team plucked from the local league.

What happened with West Sydney? Sydney can't get a crowd as is, so a 2nd team is terrible. I seriously think Tasmania deserves a team ... but than, its all about money!!

What about Ben Cousins? Who will be taking that risk?
Michael Edwards
Classic Contender

The Tasmanian bid for a team is in full swing and believe me they have got bucket loads of money. The Mars family (Masterfoods, Mars Bars, Whiskers, Pal Dog Food Etc) have put up the cash.

Gold Coast will have a team in 2011 i think? Mckenna is coaching them and they get somthing ridiculous like 9 of the first 15 picks in the 2011 draft. If it's a good draft that just about guarantees a flag in three or four years, especialy if they trade some of their picks.

I think everyone has given up on cousins pulling himself together.
Stars Of Tomorrow
Multi SIMMY winner

Luxury

Coming Soon.....
Hagrid