Fairgrounds

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Chris Fielder
Miler

Fairgrounds

Post by Chris Fielder »

I am making my first ever trip to the Fairgrounds March 20th. Was wondering if anyone has been there and has any inside info, advice, etc. The last time I was in New Orleans was pre-hurricane. Really looking forward to adding this to my list of tracks visited - hoping to make it a special week.
Thanks for any feedback!
Green Mountain Stud - Home of Champion Standardbreds...
The Supreme One - He reigns supreme
Anne Conradt
Derby Contender

Re: Fairgrounds

Post by Anne Conradt »

'
Oh, you'll definitely have a great time there.

Pre-Katrina. Let's see. Since then, they've built it all shiny and new ... at least most of it. Took away a lot of the charm of the old structure. Like the oyster bar, one of my favorite places. That's changed a little.

There is now a slots room since then, too. So you can go in there. I heard they don't pay well, so you might want to skip that part.

It's still got that looooooooooooong home stretch that tends to favor closers, moreso than most tracks.

It's a big oval. Definitely not a bull ring track.

Legitimate front end speed does win there, but if it's really cheap speed, they tend to die somewhere around the 1/8 pole instead of the 1/16 pole, as you'll see at most tracks.

Look for lots of closers. I always did well with those there.

The winter TB meet should be ending soon. They got QH's in the summer.
:arrow: I always pay attention when Eric Hamme talks about horses running in Maryland.
Chris Fielder
Miler

Post by Chris Fielder »

Thank you, Anne, I appreciate it. Do you have any favorite food spots in the area? I like "hole in the wall" under the radar type places.
Anne Conradt
Derby Contender

Post by Anne Conradt »

There used to be a place on Gentilly Boulevard, across the street from the track.

It says "bar" on the sign. But, if it's still there, that place had the best roast beef po-boys in the city.

They're huge. If you like them juicy (lots of mayo and gravy), just tell them "as is."

They also had great cheese fries. You can get out of there for less than $8. Drink not included.
:arrow: I always pay attention when Eric Hamme talks about horses running in Maryland.
Louise Bayou
Hall of Fame

Post by Louise Bayou »

Next Wednesday? Is there live racing? I'm off I might could make the trip over! Its only about an hour from me.
“It’s like I’m driving a Mac truck with the speed of a Porsche and the brain of a rocket scientist,” Gary Stevens on Beholder
Chris Fielder
Miler

Post by Chris Fielder »

Oh darn, Louise, I missed your messages - I was there Wednesday for a great day of racing. It would have been great to meet up. I really enjoyed the track (and, well, New Orleans in general). Next time I'm out that way I'll let you know. I just moved to Pensacola so it's not too far.