Gallops

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Marzy Dotes
Hall of Fame

Re: Gallops

Post by Marzy Dotes »

I've got two great/winged yearlings by him. One's out of a Fang mare and the other out of a Colorado mare and more of a turf/AW influence.
"Fools live to regret their words, wise men to regret their silence."

---Author, Will Henr

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."

---Edmund Burke
Darcy McBride
Hall of Fame

Post by Darcy McBride »

I bred one AWS and one AWR this year, and both ran HTT. Bummer. I like the AW, just need to get more into it and better horses!
DM: AMERICATION MISCHIEF & JAMBOREE
TM: NIGHTWATCH
DS: SINISTER MISTER/THE HELLHOUND/DARKANDSTORMYNIGHT
AWR: TUSCANY GOLD
QH DS: EL RAY SOL
QH DM: MARK ME CHROMED
Madelene Gilbert
Hall of Fame

Post by Madelene Gilbert »

Tiff Severson wrote:I had mixed results.

I did not breed as many to Cal this season simply because I bred less horses and most of my AW router mares have seen him. I will be on the hunt for new girlfriends for him this season. He has a good number of Aw and turf winners. He does well being bred to aw mares with a turf influenced pedigree.
I haven't been sending as many his way recently, mainly because he gave me nothing but claimers the first year I used him. I don't have many turfy AW mares either, but he did give me a surprise "wings" out of just a good mare. I'll be more optimistic and send him a few more this year. :)
Madelene Gilbert
Hall of Fame

Post by Madelene Gilbert »

I'm also curious to see how hypomates have influenced AW gallops? I for one gave up on hypomates and I think my yearling crop (though larger) is of better quality than last year's, mainly because I wasn't as focused pairing B+ studs with mares as I was looking at niches and successful pedigree crosses. I even starting "throwing darts" towards the end because I ran out of time.
Marzy Dotes
Hall of Fame

Post by Marzy Dotes »

I pretty much don't hypo AW milers anymore. My mares are all formidable yet the highest crosses they've seen (except one who did produce a B+ nick for sprinting)are Bs and so all but one have been HTT/okays.

On routers, I do nicks for newly retired or purchased broodmares, new sires and some multi-surface sires if I want to try another direction with them. I have a mare who I raced AW mile and route but who has turf blood (on both sides) so I bred her for turf for a while and switched back to AW/turf with her w/ West. I did nick her, she had a "B", bred her and got a winged daughter who'll probably like both surfaces. She'll be fun to sort out and to breed later on even if she's Alaskan bound.

I had a decent crop of AW routers as yearlings. Some broodmares that produce quite well like Bella Trattoria who had a nice looking Dumbledore after a nice daughter by Yes, others that probably need more work in figuring out good nicks for them.

I work hard on nicks with colts. I can't buy a good AW colt b/c I tend to mix auctions, not a lot of disposable income so I got to figure out how to breed one. That's a goal I have. Probably a very difficult one but I think in a couple generations of improving breeding stock I have a realistic shot at it. I was lucky to get a nice colt in Sumner Beach but he's more solid than a prodigy. Still it'll be fun to race him.

---Author, Will Henr

---Edmund Burke
Norman Architecture
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Norman Architecture »

As some of you AW types may know , I bred an AW horse called Perfect Sunday who completely by fluke worked pretty quickly. At the end of last season i thought i better bred some AW Route fillies to give him a few girlfriends if he does do ok as a 3yo and becomes a stallion prospect.

I am new to AW pedigree's so i would like some views on my yearling fillies please.

Calipari

http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=339802

A filly i picked up cheap from Marzy (Thank You) , She Galloped Wings.

Find Your Groove

http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=333977

She may be more turfy but i have hopes she might act on the AW surface. She galloped Great Gallop.

Jess Ennis

http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=348218

Astonishing out of a Create a mare. Galloped Wings.

Miss Caruso

http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=357331

Bond James Bond out of a mare i picked up from AJ during the $100 sale. Galloped Wings.
Regal Farms

Home of Louisville Derby Winner BELIEVE THE HYPE , World Cup and LIC Winner WITH KIND REGARDS and SC Turf Sprint Winner SUNDAY SOUND.
Marzy Dotes
Hall of Fame

Post by Marzy Dotes »

I think Perfect Sunday will do awesome at three. He's by Dr. Ghazi so age will make him better. Time Turner's pretty stunning too so it should be an interesting sophomore year for both. :) I think that the Dr. Ghazi/West cross will be good at stud too.

Yeah I like your choices of studs for your mares. West and Astonishing both have a lot of talent as broodmare sires as Perfect Sunday and Time Turner have shown. I wouldn't worry too much about the gallops. I bred Trial by Fury to Coach Cal to see if it'd inject more AW in while also allowing turf potential. He's one of the best sires aside from her sire Start Of The End to do that. I tend to breed females to hopefully race well but really to be good broodmares. I don't have very much quality in my stable and lack the high quality dirt routing mares which are often used to breed AW performers. But this generation of broodmares I have is looking much better than the previous one so far.

I'm glad you like your filly. :)

Trial by Fury has been bred largely to turf like FNF and Tattered. She got her wins in AW and it'll be interesting to see how she meshes with Coach Cal who's kind of turf/AW though probably has some dirt mixed in there. Trial by Fury's dam Lt. Thrace is by Colorado and she has a yearling, her last one, by Coach Cal who galloped wings. Colorado mares are very nice too though they can be challenging. I have one named Powdered Run who's kind of tri-surface (but won on AW) who I've been trying to find good AW crosses with. I meshed West with that mare and got "okay" but from a breeding perspective I'll like trying that one out.

I haven't really tried the synthetic speed/strength mares yet. Except one Synthetic Strength X Fallen in Battle which was HTT but I bred mostly for the chase side and lost the yearling under "steeplechaser" just galloping her a couple days ago. :oops:

CAH females can be great foundational dams for AW. Brave the Weather was my personal favorite. I had Mi Ciao Bella who ran well but also produced pretty good and her daughters are making their mark in the shed so far which is a nice development. It does take a breeding cycle or two to suss them out.

Hail Sleet 'n Snow's also pretty nice in broodmares. Even in the Snow I've had more sprinters/milers and though most of them are formidable, they hypo low so they don't tend to gallop well. Not much bloodlines in either. You have the Iron City issue and also so far a lack of turf influence in milers (outside of Start Sizzling and Venting) and as Madelene said in her podcast over representation of CAMS Relaunch/Dr. * in sprinters. I remember how that started when one byproduct worked super fast in both dirt and AW and everyone got excited for good reason. Though that filly turned out to be much more a dirt sprinter and has been that way in the shed.

I wound up with some pretty nice looking prospects this time around and look forward to training and racing them more for the interesting crosses than anything else. How Yes meshes with a speedy Majesty filly and Dumbledore with Astonishing and so forth.

---Author, Will Henr

---Edmund Burke
Tiff Severson
Classic Contender

Post by Tiff Severson »

So a bit about Coach Cal.

Needless to say I bred about anything and everything I could to him my first couple seasons. Which means he has a ton of kids and distorted stats since needless to say he didn't mesh well with all his hunnies.

As of 10/2 he has 26 AW winners.
He does NOT throw milers. EPIC fail.
He does best with turf influenced mares and does throw solid turf routers.
His kids do better over 1 1/16. They are generally not short routers. Best at 3yrs old and up. Thats why a number of his get in my barn are 3 and not yet raced.
He should be doing better than his stats indicate with dirt routers. Em thought he would be throwing good dirt. Aparently he prefers AW and grass though.
His kids have more AW wins than any other surface.
I still continue to mess with his stud stats and try him with different bloodlines.

I'm always open to being asked different questions about him. Feel free to pm me.
Now Standing:Coach CalMulti-Surface with strong AW and Turf times in yearlings. 15,001k [/u] Quitting Time AW Miler with short route lineage 11,000 k
Give Me The MoneyStandardbred Pacer $1,500