Flash Q

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Regina Moore
Hall of Fame

Re: Flash Q

Post by Regina Moore »

I think we need a new rule. Since you can't stand a stallion until you are a Jr player then you should not be able to buy a breeding stallion until you reach that status.
I have sometimes wondered why a rule like this isn't already in effect.

Years ago, I was going to buy a stallion from an auction, probably pretty cheaply. A new player put an 80k bid on the horse their first day in the game. Then they disappeared. So, I had to go to a lot higher price than would otherwise have been necessary to get that horse. If I hadn't, the horse would have gone to the new player that disappeared from the game. Turns out, the horse sucked at stud, anyway, but I feel that the one-day player shouldn't have been able to put in a bid.
Kay O. Johnson
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Kay O. Johnson »

Honestly though, why would anyone regardless of player status want to buy a great stallion and then just let it sit? Why not lease him and make some money off him until the newby becomes a Jr?

Thanks for the input Regina!
Marzy Dotes
Hall of Fame

Post by Marzy Dotes »

This is just some general thoughts since this thread personally makes me uncomfortable because it's not about an issue or just about a horse but a specific person who's got feelings too. As I recall, a past couple of "venting" threads that got very specific quickly didn't end very well.

Any person has the right to buy a horse and do whatever they please with it whether anyone agrees or not. This includes gelding the stallion if they choose and yeah, sometimes that burns but it's that person's choice to do it and the reason why is their reason and that's pretty much the end of it.

If this is from a dispersal that went to the new players page, I'd personally rather see a new player get nice horses there including studs because I think that they have as much right and perhaps more (if it's a new players page) to utilize the amazing resources found here as anyone else. If a new player buys themselves a nice stallion on the new players' list good on them on my opinion! They should be complemented for a good eye and a great business decision like they would if they're a veteran. Even more so, because they're new and as we know it's often a steep learning curve when you start out. So any new person who does that gets a compliment from me. Right on!

New players can't stand studs or breed mares, excellent rule in my opinion by the way. The focus early on should be on racing horses not breeding them. However, this puts a new owner in a difficult position when they buy a broodmare or a stud, they can't breed it until they are allowed to exercise that option. So they have choices and these are their choices, to not stand the horse or to lease it out. Both have been done in the past. There's the option of PMs to ask the owner what they plan to do with the horse but it's their choice whether to answer them, pick their answer or even ignore them. If someone's brand new and the first PMS they get is about wanting to lease or use the best purchase that they might have made, it may or may not be well received.

People make decisions all the time that other people don't like and in these situations, you just adapt to it as you would any other event that happens. A favorite stud gets gelded, you get disappointed but then you just figure out whatever you want to do. It usually all works out for the best because people do figure out what to do when there's an obstacle.

Ultimately disappointment can be valid but I think you have to be careful how you vent it and when you tell other people what they need to do with their horses as mentioned by some people here. Remember this person has feelings too and I have learned what it's like to step into a conversation about myself that was somewhat less than flattering and how that makes you feel. I think the best thing to do is to do if the person doesn't respond is just to accept it and move on...or maybe invite her to Chat to get to know people here or just say hi, how are you and talk about other things like with anyone else.

Things like that.
"Fools live to regret their words, wise men to regret their silence."

---Author, Will Henr

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."

---Edmund Burke
Kay O. Johnson
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Kay O. Johnson »

Ummm,hows that going to help Flash Q?
New players don't need breeding stallions, they need racers. No new players should EVER be offered breeding stallions. They can't use them so they should not be allowed to own them. They don't know enough about the game and they could quit at anytime. As I stated mixed breeds are just starting out and this is a much bigger blow to QHs then if it was a similar TB. There are hundreds of TB stallions so the loss to the gene pool would be minimum, not so for a mixer.
Marzy Dotes
Hall of Fame

Post by Marzy Dotes »

A real person and their feelings is worth a hell of a lot more than a fake horse in my opinion. I think the issues are valid. Maybe start a thread about them and discuss them rather than a specific horse owned by a specific person would in my opinion be much better.

That's all I have to say about it. I don't feel comfortable participating in this thread the way it is any longer.

---Author, Will Henr

---Edmund Burke
Lisa Strummer
Hall of Fame

Post by Lisa Strummer »

Regina Moore wrote:
I think we need a new rule. Since you can't stand a stallion until you are a Jr player then you should not be able to buy a breeding stallion until you reach that status.
I have sometimes wondered why a rule like this isn't already in effect.

Years ago, I was going to buy a stallion from an auction, probably pretty cheaply. A new player put an 80k bid on the horse their first day in the game. Then they disappeared. So, I had to go to a lot higher price than would otherwise have been necessary to get that horse. If I hadn't, the horse would have gone to the new player that disappeared from the game. Turns out, the horse sucked at stud, anyway, but I feel that the one-day player shouldn't have been able to put in a bid.

Auctions are a whole different issue with new players, but as far as the newb sales page, I also think retired stallions shouldn't be put on there, they should ideally be auctioned off so a situation like this doesn't have to happen. Now, I'm sure this could mean a bit more work for the sim staff, going through players stock to see if there is a viable stallion in the mix, so for as often as it happens, is it really worth it?
That's my new motto: Don't quit, just shut up.-Bryan Doolittle
Kay O. Johnson
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Kay O. Johnson »

A great eye and a good business decision??????
It doesn't take much to see that Flash Q is a great horse and what kind of a business decision to let him sit until he is pensioned and never make a dime or get one foal? What type of business is that?
I'm sorry but the whole mess is just beyond ignorant.

The new players feelings can be spared if the newby would just LEASE HIM!
Lisa Strummer
Hall of Fame

Post by Lisa Strummer »

Kay O. Johnson wrote:A great eye and a good business decision??????
It doesn't take much to see that Flash Q is a great horse and what kind of a business decision to let him sit until he is pensioned and never make a dime or get one foal? What type of business is that?
I'm sorry but the whole mess is just beyond ignorant.

The new players feelings can be spared if the newby would just LEASE HIM!
But if the player hasn't replied to any messages, what can you do?
Lisa Strummer
Hall of Fame

Post by Lisa Strummer »

And just to add, if the player hasn't replied to any messages, I highly doubt they read the forum.
Kay O. Johnson
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Kay O. Johnson »

try to get the rules changed so the situation never happens again, try to get the administration to explain the situation to the newby and strongly urge them to lease the stallion.
Kay O. Johnson
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Kay O. Johnson »

Or you can sit around and be complacent, but that doesn't usually get any major changes made.
Marzy Dotes
Hall of Fame

Post by Marzy Dotes »

And just to add, if the player hasn't replied to any messages, I highly doubt they read the forum.
Just to add, that's not necessarily true. It wasn't true the last time a person left because they found themselves the topic of a couple forum threads. A good rule of thumb is that if you talk about a person when they're not there, it's better than even chance, they'll find out about it. That's just the way the world often works on and off line.

That said, continue on but I'd really rather see it changed to a more general discussion on another thread not tied to a specific person because it's really not fair to that person. I'm not exactly the sitting down and be complacent type to those who know me well. I think these are good issues in general, not tied to a specific horse or a specific person. The first has the potential to lead to good discussion and perhaps change or not and there can be valid reasons either way, the second has more of the potential and has in the past, hurt a person enough to leave.

I'm very much about the former. But the latter, no I'm just not into that at all.

---Author, Will Henr

---Edmund Burke
Lisa Strummer
Hall of Fame

Post by Lisa Strummer »

Nothing is being said about the player that is hurtful or bad really. If anything, it's more hostile toward the "administration" i.e. The Steward.

If the player hasn't responded to messages and barely logs in, I still doubt they check the forum much (If at all). If they do read the forum, especially now, they could make some money doing something with the horse, which would help them out. So don't make this seem like a bashing a player issue.
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

The thing is though, unlike a broodmare, there is no true lease option. You have to agree to sell the stallion and trust that the player will return him to you at the end of the time, and that you're being treated fairly on the deal. If you're a new player, unless you're joining because you have friends who already play the game, you aren't going to know who the person is, and how trustworthy they are, so I could see hesitating to enter into such an arrangement as a new player. The concept of getting some money for him while you can't stand him yourself makes sense, but how to do it and who to make the deal with, almost makes it more trouble than its worth.

At least in the case of Flash Q, he does have yearlings, so he stood for part of last season. We've had other players fail to put stallions back up for stud after coming off a year of infertility as fast as we would like, or other stallions pensioned, or racing colts getting the ultimate change in equipment. You have to take the good with the bad. I'm not necessarily opposed to a restriction on buying, but a forced lease (to whom, for how much) is a cure that is worse than the disease, in my opinion.
Jennifer Francis
Hall of Fame

Post by Jennifer Francis »

when I started this thread it was not meant to bash anyone it was really more me just venting about not being able to use him. its difficult to see a stallion u would like to breed a couple of mares to not standing or pensioned. Its both frustrating and dissapointing. Expecially when you new to the breed and that stallion is really the only one u see a great foal coming from. But I wasn't trying to bash the new player. And as far as the Steward goes that is her decision if she stops new players from buying breeding stallions. I believe that it is a good thing for new players to have great horses because that is the only way u can survive. But Im not opposed to them not being able to buy breeding stallions but thats just my opinion
Got to start from the bottom to get back to the top. Just wonder how long that will take in the game and in life.