This Is A Joke... Right ?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
S.C. Burns

Post by S.C. Burns »

Orrrrr...

We could all just leave the horse and the owner alone. He doesn't need "rescuing."

He's not doing any harm, being a retired stud. Nobody with any skill in the game is going to breed to him, and nobody with any skill will buy a poorly bred foal of his.

So, the only people who will be affected by his existence at all will be his owner, the person who buys him, or the people who don't know any better and breed to him.

Which none of us are.

So, to reiterate my point: Who cares?

EDIT: Also, I have to say that the constant threads making fun of how poorly others play the game are becoming rather...tasteless and crass. None of us play this game perfectly, or make right decisions 100% of the time. I guess it would be nice of we'd keep in mind that he who makes fun of others is setting himself up for the same treatment.

[/ soapbox]
Paul Heinrich
Hall of Fame

Post by Paul Heinrich »

S.C. Burns wrote: Orrrrr...

We could all just leave the horse and the owner alone. He doesn't need "rescuing." 

He's not doing any harm, being a retired stud.  Nobody with any skill in the game is going to breed to him, and nobody with any skill will buy a poorly bred foal of his.

So, the only people who will be affected by his existence at all will be his owner, the person who buys him, or the people who don't know any better and breed to him.

Which none of us are.

So, to reiterate my point: Who cares?

EDIT: Also, I have to say that the constant threads making fun of how poorly others play the game are becoming rather...tasteless and crass.  None of us play this game perfectly, or make right decisions 100% of the time.  I guess it would be nice of we'd keep in mind that he who makes fun of others is setting himself up for the same treatment.

[/ soapbox]
I hear ya, SC. These forums can be harsh, and I sometimes find myself hoping that the owners whose studs are being mocked aren't actually reading this.

From a newbie perspective, however, it is helpful to have bad stallions out of the game. They make it harder to succeed. They sit there on the sales page, and if you're not careful and patient as a new player, and just start playing the game, you can end up with a useless money pit right off the bat. This is one less useless money pit available for someone's kid to pick up on the new player sales page.

And though harsh, it's also helpful for new players, like myself, to read about just how much damage poor decisions (like buying or retiring a poor racehorse to stud) can do to your ability to enjoy yourself with the game later. Had I not come across threads like this, and thereby had the wherewithal to ask Eric Nalbone about it, I may have also made a really poor decision early on, which would have really hamstrung my first few months.
"They're not going to kick me out." - Tim Matthews
S.C. Burns

Post by S.C. Burns »

I agree that it's nice to see cautionary tales, but there's a difference between those and between talking about "rescuing" a horse from its owner, especially when that horse isn't in any danger.

Even when one of these fake horses is in danger, I think it's tacky to have a 3-page thread about it. If you can't contact the owner, then that's that.

Again, just my opinion, and I acknowledge that I've participated in a few in the past, but that doesn't make it right. It actually makes me embarrassed that I did.

As a former newbie, I'd rather make mistakes on my own, than to stumble upon the board and find the community making jokes about how I was managing my stable.
Mallory Claire

Post by Mallory Claire »

I don't think "rescuing" was the right word here. I guess everyone gets irritated at the idea that eventually, these badly bred foals will somehow negatively impact them in the future - through being entered in crowded races, affecting the results of races, etc. I guess it's better in everyone's interest if the foals did not exist. I think that's what Amanda and Paul were trying to say/do.
S.C. Burns

Post by S.C. Burns »

I'm trying to word this in a way which won't be insulting to other trainers. I hope it isn't.

But.

Worried about what these foals will do? Which spots they'll steal...really? Is there really only ever one race a week that a horse will be good for? Is it ever really that huge of a deal to simply race him in the week following, because the first race is full? I mean, I know it cam be frustrating. I know these are facts of the game, but that's it: they're facts of the game. It's an intricacy, sorta like how sometimes stallions shoot blanks, or mares die while birthing. These things suck, but a successful and dynamic player can overcome them.

Consider this: there are children who play this game, and who probably don't have the grasp of the finer intricacies that some of you do. However, being curious, they'll likely click on the little button at the top that says Forum, and read this board.

They see the name of their horse! Oh fun! Oh, wait. No...these people are saying that the person who owns this horse is doing something stupid.

Aaaaaaannnnd...there goes the fun! Seriously, if I was 11 years old, and playing a game like this, and knew that other players thought I was dumb...I'd totally quit.

I know you guys mean well, for the SIM as a whole, but the SIM is more than just perfect, competitive horses with awesome breeding. It is also about experimentation, and learning, and mistakes. Much like real horse racing, it is about all different kinds of owners, with different sized bank accounts, and different skill levels, and different motives. For all the talk about how accurate people want this game to be, they don't seem to want this element of it: the crap horses and crap owners. They're out there in the real world, just like they are here.

Agh, anyways. All of this aside, this argument is diverting from the the original point: The threads are lame. Period. If you want to make fun of someone, or talk about what a terrible trainer they are, fine. But, doing it in a place where they may read about it is just...mean.

[/ soapbox]
(For reals, this time. If y'all don't understand this now, you never will)
Mallory Claire

Post by Mallory Claire »

As Ace Ventura says...alrighty, then!
Murray McNickle
Turf Router

Post by Murray McNickle »

i'm really only replying to get my post count up, but, I think this game will force you to adapt, and if you don't catch on and understand the ramifications of your actions then, just like on shark week, the economics shark is gonna get you once your in deep water. You can't hide from the "eco" shark regardless if people are on this forum throwing you a lifejacket, or standing on soapboxes, or sending you freebie horses.

*hears "Jaws" in his head* ;)
Nothing, absolutely nothing...
Friedrich Barbarossa
Hall of Fame

Post by Friedrich Barbarossa »

Murray McNickle
Turf Router

that seal was a badly bred foal as you can see ;)
Mallory Claire

Post by Mallory Claire »

You don't even understand how fearful I am of Great Whites. Nothing repulses or terrifies me more. They are evil!
Gary Cooper

Post by Gary Cooper »

Well Mallory... Stick with the Pod of Killer Whales...and you will need not worry about the lone Great White ! ;)
Mallory Claire

Post by Mallory Claire »

Gary Cooper wrote:Well Mallory... Stick with the Pod of Killer Whales...and you will need not worry about the lone Great White !  ;)
As random as it may seem, I was totally fascinated by Orcas after reading an article about one a few months ago. I went on a research rampage and now I know way too much about them. But they are incredibly fascinating, I encourage everyone to wiki it!

<-- total dork
Friedrich Barbarossa
Hall of Fame

Post by Friedrich Barbarossa »

Murray, you had to know this was coming...

<a href='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8GaDuCvYbE' target='_blank'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8GaDuCvYbE</a>
Murray McNickle
Turf Router

thank goodness that wasn't the eco shark!
Or by this time next season there will be 800 stallions standing!
Anna Leroux
Hall of Fame

Post by Anna Leroux »