What Do You Guys Think

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Inca Stables
Eclipse Champion

Post by Inca Stables »

The horse sometimes does look fine and goes into a race fine. Indian Charlie raced with a broken pelvis that probably happened in the starting gate. The jockey could not tell anything was wrong till near the end of the race and by then it was too late.

Sometimes it is hard to tell and it is a competitive situation for jockey and horse and adrenaline will take over.

Miryam Cornwall
Mac Silver
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Mac Silver »

I havent seen the video yet but i do know that the whip (or in my case a nudge with a spur) are used to correct a lead change or lack there of. A bad step can definitely feel like a horse picking up to change leads so there is the chance that he went to the whip to gather the horse. I am not "dogging" (pardon the pun) this horse either when i say that a 8k claimer is a lot more apt to make a mid to late race mistake than a polished stakes horse i believe. I will watch the video as soon as i can get it to load and then probably edit my post.
As Ben Franklin once said, "In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria."
Mac Silver
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Mac Silver »

that is a tough one to call. There was a bad step but it wasnt obvious at first even from our point of view. I'm sure it wasn't obvious from the irons either. I'd have to side with the jock on that one. but it was very close.
As Ben Franklin once said, "In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria."
Amanda O'Brien
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Amanda O'Brien »

A horse called HENBIT won the English Derby in 1980 with a fracture.

Excerpt taken from Bloodhorse "Henbit, a son of *Hawaii out of stakes winner Chateaucreek, by Chateaugay, reportedly defeated his Epsom Derby rivals while running on a fractured left cannon bone for the final two furlongs."

He wasnt euthanized (not becuase he had just won a derby but because it wasnt life threatening) and his jockey was Willie Carson one of the top jockeys in the world and I dont remember a big outcry then - and its rarely mentioned in Derby reviews at all.

It doesnt sound or look like the jockey can be blamed and is just "one of those things" that happens in racing. Just unfortunate it was at a televised track - wonder how many other times it happens out of public view?
Inca Stables
Eclipse Champion

Post by Inca Stables »

Trainers,

Recently there was a jockey at I believe Philadelphia Park or Penn National that was suspended for 30 days for kicking a horse near the starting gate, because no one saw this on film it is getting less play than Russell Baze. I believe that because who he is also makes it a little more newsworthy.

Miryam Cornwall
Mark Atienza
Two Year Old

Post by Mark Atienza »

Cool thanks for your comments. i rememeber acouple years ago there was a big thing on a jockey who threw his whip at a horse that had broken down and was being put down. i think maybe at MNR not sure though. one thing im happy to say i didnt see anyone compare it to the whole vick thing because some people have already.