What Makes You Play?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Susie Rydell
Eclipse Champion

Post by Susie Rydell »

The first time I met High Octane (AP Indy - Bright Candles)... I told him I used to own his 'fake' half-brother. And that was... what? Probably 3 or 4 YEARS after I'd stopped playing?
Ryen Hanna
Eclipse Champion

Post by Ryen Hanna »

Hi guys. Long time player, first post.

I started playing this game YEARS ago because all my other friends (Susie, Ali, Robin, etc.) were. And I just kinda plugged along for a while until...well, until I got a win.

If I remember correctly, my first winner was a filly named Prospectivepartner. My first stakes winner was Speedyjetsdaughter, bought cheaply from the sales page. I bought Always in Love also for some very small amount off the stakes page and she ended up winning the BC Filly and Mare Sprint for me (I think that was the first year it was run!)...Speedyjetsdaughter gave me The Inevitable, my BC Juvy Filly/KY Oaks winner. I somehow got Honor Bright, who gave me Notable Dancer, one of the top money winners ever.

When the SIM was resurrected, I grabbed as many of my old homebreds as possible. I didn't really care if they were any good, because honestly most of my homebreds weren't the best, and I have yet to win a stakes race since I've been back in this SIM, but that's okay. This brings me to why I play.

When I had that first winner all those years ago, she became MINE. I could never let her go! I've sold maybe one or two of my homebreds through the years and always regretted it. (I mean, geez, one of those homebreds was Tremulous Echo!!! I can't believe I sold him!) My point is...the horses become ours. They're not simply imaginary, they're little pieces of us. I play to breed, I race to breed, I LIVE to breed, and the horses I breed represent some aspect of my life. I name them after people, things, and situations in my life, and they become real to me. They represent ME and my real life...just in a fake way.

(...if that makes sense.)

Living with Ali and Susie, I can attest to the fact that we would talk about the SIM into the wee hours of the night. Where to race, to whom to breed...all that jazz. Because really, these aren't just fake horses.

They are US.