How'd you do this week?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Ronda Figal
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Ronda Figal »

Ya i am jazzed to have 4 wins this week.. Dearest to my heart is my homebred Thestarsajetseter who is 3 outa 4 this season in stakes company..Love my boy.. and then my Dance In The Dark filly Dance Lightly got her win in Japan as well as Altar(a sales page bargin)and then in England anoter sales page bargig broke her maiden....whoo hoo.. what a grand week....
Brianna McKenzie
Eclipse Champion

Post by Brianna McKenzie »

Meh there's nothing WRONG with being high on your horse. Confidence is appealing really. It's going to make for better racing in this sim. Instead of people hiding we'll run against each other. Eric has no problem losing, he just tries harder to win next time. I know this because of our rivalry with our sprint fillies. I was afraid of pitting Inspired Myth against Samurai but I did it anyway, I'd rather find out now then week 16.

I remember being fairly new and thinking I was pretty special when I got my first good horse. I probably touted him enough to make people sick of his name too. In hindsight he wasn't a wonder horse. I've trained better and will again. I managed him horriably but he still raced well. He shall always be my favorite and he got me where I am. What he DID teach me was to manage a horse and how of find a horses preferences BEFORE we had running lines. It's EASY now to figure these things out, so there is NOT much excuse for running your horse in places it doesn't want to be.

I think we shall find in new sim, horses are more picky about their distances.

Kotya Peekin my own horse. I've been cruel to him, trying to make him what I wanted him to be. He'll be much happier now that I've given him what he wanted.. My bad, and I freely admit it.

Horses lose and will keep doing so if they aren't managed better, and placed where they want to be. I see no problem pointing this out, because we are really trying to help. If feelings get hurt, perhaps it's because people know it's true. Winning isn't everything, but no one gets into racing to lose.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

I think I'm missing the line where Eric said they were relatively bad horses. He said it was a relatively weak field, not that they were relatively weak horses, unless someone can quote that line to me where I've missed it.

Running 2yo just-broke-his-maiden Skip Away, and 2yo just-broke-his-maiden Silver Charm in a sprint race... doesn't matter who they are related to and what they WILL do, they haven't done it yet. If you had a field at Saratoga that consisted of a 2 time stakes winner for Pletcher and then a couple maiden and stakes-placed in short fields horses and the Pletcher horse wins by 5, would you rather say the Pletcher horse is an unbeatable superstar or that the horse beat a weak field that isn't at its right place yet.

Eric would GLADLY take the title of unbeatable superstar instead, as he's stated so in this post.

All this said, Eric IS very over-confident and an "arrogant" type, but that's Eric. Being a chicken never got him anywhere, and he will stay in I-Can-Beat-Anything mode until the day he dies, not just in the SIM.

Now someone paste where he said weak horses for me, thanks!
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

Laura F. wrote: As for Beatofmyheart/Everything Right, heck, your horse headed mine at the top of the stretch, and couldn't close the deal. If your horse had been flying up in the last two or three jumps, I'd go with desperate or bare as a fair characterization, but your horse had the entire length of the stretch to blow by mine, once you headed her, and couldn't do it. That said, rationalize the loss however you like if it makes you feel better. :)
Heh, I know, you've got a very nice filly on my hands! I was just commenting on how its really amusing that one adjective can change so much in the picture of a race. :P Now we've FINALLY got some entertaining debate going in this forum, let the fun begin.
Dave Shields
Eclipse Champion

Post by Dave Shields »

"It's not the horses that are real, it's the Emotions"

I would have to say that gets truer every week. I respect all the points here mainly because I am still a newbie with much to learn. Bri brings up a great point with the running lines, for which I would be totally lost without. That said, with horses like Fiery Sunset who have performed well beyond my expectations, they are harder to train (for me) since there is so much more at stake. Then I have horses like Hot Every Night or Adhere that I know not to expect anything from (well besides being last) and I just have fun with them.

To further the debate... Never A Storm is out of a SIM Champion. I thought for sure he would be going strong for the Triple Crown. Wrong! It took him 4 tries to break his maiden. So I see the point Eric was making.

On the side of the debate... I have a strange love for Hot Every Night, no not that kind!! She's just that sentimental bottom feeder that I bought my first week, not knowing what was what or who was who. Come to find out, she very well could be the worst horse in the SIM. Now that is kind of a cool thing for me, since I do like Zippy Chippy. ;)

Debate on and keep those emotions going! :)
Sarah Chase
Hall of Fame

Post by Sarah Chase »

Ekawa Design wrote: On the side of the debate... I have a strange love for Hot Every Night, no not that kind!! She's just that sentimental bottom feeder that I bought my first week, not knowing what was what or who was who. Come to find out, she very well could be the worst horse in the SIM. Now that is kind of a cool thing for me, since I do like Zippy Chippy. ;)
Oh man, haha, I just visited her - she IS pretty bad. :P
Frayed - $75,000
Liveinthemoment - $25,000
Same - $10,000
It's Been Awhile - $10,000
Grindelwald - $10,000
Skywatching - $7,500
LaDonna King
Eclipse Champion

Post by LaDonna King »

"Come to find out, she very well could be the worst horse in the SIM"

its gonna take a lot more than a couple of losses to beat hot fudge sunday as the worst!!
IsaP

Post by IsaP »

Now, I have a Freeteaforme baby who resents that.
Dave Shields
Eclipse Champion

Post by Dave Shields »

Oh my gosh, I am dying here... Isa... heee heee Freeteaforme... those running lines... my sides hurt from laughing... :lol:

Hot Every Night does have some work to be as "accomplished" as the two previously mentioned, but she is still active and working very hard (or is it hardly working?).

What all you don't know is the running lines that I see, well through my eyes anyways. Such as "old man with walker stopping every 10 steps out paced your horse, crawling baby wizzed by causing your horse to tip over, at gate STILL!, your horse was entered in Race #1 but eventually crossed the wire as horses coming onto track for the next morning workouts... oh the list goes on.

Steward: When is Hot Every Night able to have such neat equipment as "a really fast horse tied behind her to bite her behind as she runs down the track"

or

"a jet pack and rollerskates"

and so on. Those are awesome!! I want!! I want!!! :D

(Edit)As a side note: I do not wish to offend anyone who bred Hot Every Night, if I have done so, please know that she is loved and well cared for. :)
IsaP

Post by IsaP »

Freeteaforme once ran with Lucifer behind her.. or at least, that's what I put in the equipment back in da day when we could type in equipment. Any money I've ever won on her or any of her progeny is simply because the race that wouldn't fill.
Nikki Everdeen
Hall of Fame

Post by Nikki Everdeen »

I had my first win this week, with Desert Victory, the half brother to my real horse. The rest ran crummy, which should be expected since most were people's horses they'd dumped on the Auction Block I believe.

I had nothing to enter this week so I went back and bought a whole bunch of what are likely crud horses for a few hundred each (since I don't know breeding). It stinks having so much less money than the people who have been in the SIM for longer than a week, like me. I don't have time to do this auction thing that everyone is talking about, so I'm pretty much stuck with what I can get. However, I'm hoping that Desert Victory turns out okay and helps me out with that problem.

Is there such a thing as maiden claiming races here? I bought some with the intention of running them in those races, but none came up this week or last week when I searched for them.
Inspiration Stud
Standing quality Appaloosas, Arabians, Paints, Quarter Horses, and Thoroughbreds
Sarah Chase
Hall of Fame

Post by Sarah Chase »

NikkiSherman wrote: I had my first win this week, with Desert Victory, the half brother to my real horse.

Is there such a thing as maiden claiming races here? I bought some with the intention of running them in those races, but none came up this week or last week when I searched for them.
Congratulations on the win! It's an amazing feeling. Here's hoping you get many more!

Yup, there are maiden claimers, you just have to look out for them. If you can't find any, just entering in a regular claimer should be okay, I think.
Frayed - $75,000
Liveinthemoment - $25,000
Same - $10,000
It's Been Awhile - $10,000
Grindelwald - $10,000
Skywatching - $7,500
Nikki Everdeen
Hall of Fame

Post by Nikki Everdeen »

Sarah Chase wrote: Congratulations on the win! It's an amazing feeling. Here's hoping you get many more!

Yup, there are maiden claimers, you just have to look out for them. If you can't find any, just entering in a regular claimer should be okay, I think.
I told my boyfriend about the win, and he asked for a thousand of it (he wasn't serious, he has his trainer's license so he knows what he's talking about), which I thought was funny.

Wouldn't a claimer be tougher than a regular maiden? Generally horses in claimers should have already won. At least that's how it is in real life, as far as I know. I just went ahead and entered those horses I'd bought for that purpose in regular maidens even though they'll get crushed, most likely.
Inspiration Stud
Standing quality Appaloosas, Arabians, Paints, Quarter Horses, and Thoroughbreds
Ronda Figal
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Ronda Figal »

Ya the open claimers will be tougher then regular maidens as there will most likely be winners in them...however i noiticed this week a lot of those open claimer have only 2 or 3 entires that are winners so those would be a good idea to send in the lower quality horses.lol i have lots of htose too.. Even though your msot likely not gonna get a win with a maiden in a open claimer theres a good chance to bring home 3ed, 4th or 5th place paychecks.. And antime our crappy horses birng home a buck, thats a buck we can save to use to start buying better bred horses.. you gotta start somewhere and those "crappy" horses can earn enough to buy u good horses....
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Because maiden claimers are kind of on a pattern, they are run generally every other week.

There are a TON week 12.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG