Gibraltar

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Re: Gibraltar

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Well, Gibraltar failed epically in the Desert Turf Classic, running fifth with a career worst speed figure. I shipped him back off to Japan, and we'll hopefully get back on track there. Because of running in Dubai, and having a long ship to boot, I'd rather not bring him back week 9, but there is no suitable race for him in week 10, so it is very likely that he won't run again until week 11 in the Hong Kong Champions Route (G1), followed by an attempt at the Japanese Fall Marathon (G1) and Japan Trophy (G1).
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

After a bad performance in Dubai, Gibraltar has rebounded spectacularly in Asia.

In week 9, he won the Queen's Memorial Stakes in Hong Kong by a neck over Rob Roy and Stones in the Sand. Two weeks later, the same three rivals crossed the wire 1-2-3 in the Hong Kong Champions Route, this time with Gibraltar soundly defeating Stones in the Sand by 1 1/4 lengths.
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

We are going to be involved in the insanity that is this year's Arc de Triomphe. Win or lose, that is epic.
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Tonight's the night! Gibraltar is dancing and prancing, already. He's ready to run.

I think he's harboring a small crush on Forgave, too, but she hasn't paid him a lot of attention. She's been too busy checking out the millionaires in the field ;) Poor guy.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Erin Sanderson wrote:Tonight's the night! Gibraltar is dancing and prancing, already. He's ready to run.

I think he's harboring a small crush on Forgave, too, but she hasn't paid him a lot of attention. She's been too busy checking out the millionaires in the field ;) Poor guy.
Oh, believe me, she noticed...she's just playing hard to catch. :wink:
(I just hope she behaves that way on the track)

He is a beautiful horse, btw, and he might be a millionaire quicker than you think. : )

--------
Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Gibraltar has now been retired. The Arc broke him. He will stand for $35k. His fee could be adjust upward if he hits 50 foals.
Frances Krell
Turf Router

Post by Frances Krell »

I'm so sorry to hear about his injury. :( I hope he does really well at stud and gives you some champions!
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Thanks, Frances. It's okay, though, these things happen. And he's going to be an amazing sire ;)
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Forgave had a visit with Quite The Feat this year, and next season it will be Moya...but Gibraltar is on the list for her 3rd foal.

If Moya was younger, I might have been willing to flip that order, between him and Gibraltar, but he's hitting 13 years old next season and I don't want to risk losing the chance to breed her to him.

The breeding agent gave all 3 the same hypo grade of B+ when paired with Forgave.
Forgave also got this comment when I had her evaluated as a broodmare:
Forgave should be a star broodmare, throwing the fastest flat race runners! Unfortunately, Forgave' probably won't produce a very good steeplechaser.

I'm hoping that will prove to be correct and all of her foals end up as stake winners. : )
Also, btw, a Gibraltar x Forgave cross will involve a wee bit of inbreeding, their hypo-mate page looks rather interesting.

I'm sorry to hear that Gibraltar was hurt, but hopefully he won't lack for quality mares being sent his way. He's a really nice horse...and very handsome too. : )

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

So, Gibraltar's first crop is pretty hot. There are 8 wow/stakes gallopers reported on the thread, and I know of 2 more off the top of my head that were never reported.

Just from my barn, he's got foals working in the 58.80 and 1:10.30 range. And these guys are only going to get hotter as they get older.

And, he has a filly from this year's crop that is likely to be amazing named New Moon Shining (kudos to anyone who can figure out what song her name comes from). Watch out, folks!
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Gibraltar has four winners in the first week of route races, including my homebred filly Petra breaking her maiden with a 78!

Currently, he is second on the list of freshman sires in regards to total winners on turf (but with a higher win percentage than the leader, Quite the Feat), and third in win percentage (with more starters than the top two combined). He is second on the list by progeny earnings, currently beating out Elysian Park, Go Do, Holiday Gift, etc.

If anything, his second crop is even better than the first! He's got another 10 wows, including his first scary good, New Moon Shining!

Currently, both New Moon Shining and a two-year-old Gibraltar filly named Something Cold are on the list of fastest all-time seven furlong workouts with 1:23.97!

Yearling Workouts: Devil's Tower has works in 58.92 and 1:10.33; Freyr has gone in 58.84 and 1:10.38; New Moon Shining has gone 58.80, 1:10.23, 1:23.97; and my filly out of Firewater Rum has run in 1:10.59 with only one of the correct pieces of equipment. I know there are quite a few other nice ones out there too!
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Gibraltar got his first stakes winner! Congratulations Ramey Furney and Something Cold! He now TOPS the freshman sire's list in his division by number of winners!
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

My boy is now ten years old. How time flies! He has continued to be an awesome sire, with the likes of SC winner and champion New Moon Shining, champion and millionaire Someplace Cold, champion Grey Monster, multiple grade one winner and millionaire Chavez Ravine, grade one winners Skye and Truth, and a host of other stakes winners and promising sophomore prospects.

His three-year-old son, Twin Angel, just won his second stakes race with a 79 SF, Rosewater was a solid 3rd in the Japan Fillies Trophy with a 77 SF after falling to her knees at the start, and the very exciting Stealing Home, a half brother to Lady Jubilee, is about to make his stakes debut!

It continues to be an exciting road with this horse through his babies, and I'm loving every minute of it.