California Chrome in England

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Josh Lamp I
Hall of Fame

Re: California Chrome in England

Post by Josh Lamp I »

Fast horses are typically unsound, it's a byproduct. Horses who sire brittle horses typically also sire fast horses, so one comes with the other. A sire who is known for sound horses usually also sires slow horses, that's okay if you want to pull a plow.
Don't post anything, it might upset someone.
Melissa Mae
Hall of Fame

Post by Melissa Mae »

One thing I will give those horses who break down early but were fast, it's usually because they are so fast that they break down. Their bodies can't handle the speed. But I'd rather the breed be a little slower and have horses last longer than have freaks who break records first time out and never race again (or take a year or two off) because they broke down.
Johanna Stk
Eclipse Champion

Post by Johanna Stk »

Chrome is a sound horse so I don't think his confirmation is a big problem. One of the horses I groom has bad conformation but he races well and is sound.

By the way, have anyone of you checked the "Bring Chrome Home" facebook page? It is a really crazy page.
Skam den som ger sig!
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Johanna Stk wrote:Chrome is a sound horse so I don't think his confirmation is a big problem. One of the horses I groom has bad conformation but he races well and is sound.

By the way, have anyone of you checked the "Bring Chrome Home" facebook page? It is a really crazy page.
I've never signed up to facebook, so often I can't see things from that site. But based upon some of the comments I've read under various articles I can imagine that the Bring Chrome Home site has to be rather pathetic.

I get it, that people can fall in love with a horse like Chrome, but to me it's parochial in the worse way - and in the long run, I think, detrimental, to just want to keep all our great horses here in the USA.

By getting them out there and exposing them to the rest of their world in their own backyards - letting them prove themselves to be great, those folks can fall in love and see the value of our horses, see that the USA bred thoroughbred can be a solid, versatile, runner and something they can use in their own breeding operations. I think, too, in the long run, it will also help prevent genetic bottlenecks by getting different bloodlines moving through different countries.

They are being very open about showing the world how well Chrome is looking, showing video of his training sessions and it's not like those handling him are amateurs when it comes to taking care of top end thoroughbreds.
So I don't see why there is any need for petitions demanding that Chrome come back home, other than we, here will miss a few races he might have run in - but in return, we might get to see him do something wonderful in Europe, and later, if all goes well, see offspring being born from mares that might not have been sent to him otherwise, increasing his chances of making a mark for himself in the studbook.

Having said all of that, if he turns out to do quite well on the turf, then I would love to see him stand in the states, with the occasional shuttle to Europe or Japan, or other countries with dirt and turf racing that could use his genetics. I hope he does become a successful stallion.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Melissa Mae
Hall of Fame

Post by Melissa Mae »

Johanna Stk wrote:Chrome is a sound horse so I don't think his confirmation is a big problem. One of the horses I groom has bad conformation but he races well and is sound.

It gets better, there's a petition out there to bring him home, haha. https://www.change.org/p/california-chr ... hrome-home
Nini Panini
Eclipse Champion

Post by Nini Panini »

My gosh no one cares like this when other horses journey to England for a race (e.g. Wesley Ward) and they always come back fine! Chrome's welfare isn't in danger; he's probably having the time of his life!
"How do you describe perfection? Why try, let's just watch her run!"
Lori Hamill
Hall of Fame

Post by Lori Hamill »

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Thanks for the article. Glad to hear the trainer is happy with his progress. If Frankie Dettori gets a shot at riding him, it will be interesting to hear what he thinks about how California Chrome is moving under him over the turf and if he feels the horse is having to try too hard to make the uphill grades or tackling them with some ease.

In looking at the photo from the article, he sure has some nice muscle definition showing - it's kind of looks too, like he has one ear flicked back, like he's listening to the rider. It could be just the way his ears are flopping, if he's relaxed, but I've seen a lot of photos of race horses in races, or just exercising and love looking to see what their ears are doing - some pin their ears, others have both set forward...etc.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Melissa Mae
Hall of Fame

Post by Melissa Mae »

Nini Hunter wrote:My gosh no one cares like this when other horses journey to England for a race (e.g. Wesley Ward) and they always come back fine! Chrome's welfare isn't in danger; he's probably having the time of his life!
He actually looks better (in better shape/happier) in the pictures from over there than the pictures I've seen the last few years of him over here. Hopefully that translates to how he runs since he'll need to step up to do anything at Royal Ascot (and in the Eclipse, if he runs)
Johanna Stk
Eclipse Champion

Post by Johanna Stk »

He looks amazing in the latest pictures, his coat is amazing!
Skam den som ger sig!
Charles Bunbury
Hall of Fame

Post by Charles Bunbury »

William Buick takes the ride in the Prince of Wales's Stakes.

Wish list
Alternate horses between jumps and flat.
Search for previous rather than current owners of horses.
Stallions year entered for stud duties.
Automated assistant trainers - sorted, kind of!
European claiming circuit.

Melissa Mae
Hall of Fame

Post by Melissa Mae »

Smart move, that one.
Johanna Stk
Eclipse Champion

Post by Johanna Stk »

William Buick is a great jockey!
Skam den som ger sig!
Charles Bunbury
Hall of Fame

Post by Charles Bunbury »

Melissa Mae wrote: He actually looks better (in better shape/happier) in the pictures from over there than the pictures I've seen the last few years of him over here. Hopefully that translates to how he runs since he'll need to step up to do anything at Royal Ascot (and in the Eclipse, if he runs)
If he does stop for the Eclipse then Golden Horn is a likely opponent.

Wish list
Alternate horses between jumps and flat.
Search for previous rather than current owners of horses.
Stallions year entered for stud duties.
Automated assistant trainers - sorted, kind of!
European claiming circuit.