All About All Weather

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Re: All About All Weather

Post by Nena Olson »

Louise Bayou wrote:I have a wow Freak Flag Flying that didn't wow me with her first race. I am hoping she just wants longer or different equipment.lol
Freak Flag Flying may want dirt :) you should prolly work her on that as well :D
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Madelene Gilbert
Hall of Fame

Post by Madelene Gilbert »

Louise Bayou wrote:I have a wow Freak Flag Flying that didn't wow me with her first race. I am hoping she just wants longer or different equipment.lol
I don't know what you're talking about; she ran again Louisville Palace in her first start with a respectable 64 SR. That filly is a freak. There wasn't any other horse in the field that could have touched her IMO. My Conscious was a "great" with quick works, although her dam's offspring have all galloped "great" or "wings" without proving much on the track. So that 2nd is pretty nice, considering I wasn't expecting much (and indeed, a much lower placing). With my luck, it'll be her best finish. :P

Anyway, my point is give her another chance in a field that isn't stacked with AW maidens trying to run first out in Week 11. And stay away from freaks. :)
Marzy Dotes
Hall of Fame

Post by Marzy Dotes »

Freak Flag Flying may want dirt :) you should prolly work her on that as well :D
Good point. I think I'll try dirt for my West/Fang yearling next time out. You just never know. :) I'm holding to her for breeding later on anyway. Landon Alexander bred her dam Blaze of Magic and another nice AW mare, Silver Illusion by Astonishing who I'm trying to pair up better this time. If she's reading this, all weather's beckoning and once under its spell...well you know. :P

As for routers, last season one of my wings broke her maiden first time out nicely and placed in a few stakes including at two whereas my wow got beat by a winged runner and ran a low SF. I wasn't planning to really push her until she was three and next time out she did break her maiden looking a bit better. In the All Weather Trial, she ran her lowest SF so far but then picked it up a bit after that. She likes longer but she dropped back to 1 1/16 and survived it to finish a solid second, scoring her third straight 77 SF. But I figured being three for her based on her lineage would feel better than two. Hopefully she'll like four even better but you never know, it's hard to predict the future. You can just hope. Still, it's kind of fun considering her broodmare's dam was a "no potential at anything" mare. The dam's formidable but a bit tricky to breed given that she's confused on everything but AW!

Mi Ciao Bella's Magic filly's more up and down and finished ninth (eek!) last time out.

I was really surprised I had two AW routers win first time out. For the first time, I have a decent colt which I'm looking forward to campaigning. He might see a stakes by season's end. My Fang filly will probably wait until next year.
"Fools live to regret their words, wise men to regret their silence."

---Author, Will Henr

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."

---Edmund Burke
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

I am just as shocked that so many of my AW routers won first time out. It's a hard task! All of them are wings/great gallop except for Yes I Do. She's a wow. I am just happy that my colts seem to have some talent.
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Marzy Dotes
Hall of Fame

Post by Marzy Dotes »

I had two out of five raced so far that won and then one out four in the claimer batch in Alaska. That's not usual for me but I'll take it. Dynasty's Queen who galloped wings is looking pretty good in her race though she'll ultimately need to be in the 1 1/8-1 1/4 mile range I think. I enjoyed campaigning her full sister who I bought for Eastern Dynasty's stud fee.

This race was pretty cool too!

Back to Dumbledore, he did hypo with some of my formidable dirt routing mares and lessers by Just Victory. And of course Squabble but so far that hussy hasn't met a stud she doesn't seem to like.

---Author, Will Henr

---Edmund Burke
Madelene Gilbert
Hall of Fame

Since we've had a nice showing of route maidens, I'm planning on doing some writing regarding these up-and-coming stars. In doing my research, I also decided to look into the represented sires, their statistics, additional offspring and any pedigree niches (see earlier thread discussion on AW route studs).

I'm a pedigree and breeding research nut, so I put together a very quick but comprehensive table comparing the most represented sires. In case anyone else would find this information useful, here's a link.
Louise Bayou
Hall of Fame

Post by Louise Bayou »

I had to share my lastest AW foal! Greensburg is by Seraph x Funny Future(Grade 1 producer on dirt). The mare got the "Star" comment and has been a bust since Lonestar Lolita so I figured maybe try the best AW sprint stud going!
“It’s like I’m driving a Mac truck with the speed of a Porsche and the brain of a rocket scientist,” Gary Stevens on Beholder
Marzy Dotes
Hall of Fame

Post by Marzy Dotes »

Since we've had a nice showing of route maidens, I'm planning on doing some writing regarding these up-and-coming stars. In doing my research, I also decided to look into the represented sires, their statistics, additional offspring and any pedigree niches (see earlier thread discussion on AW route studs).

I'm a pedigree and breeding research nut, so I put together a very quick but comprehensive table comparing the most represented sires. In case anyone else would find this information useful, here's a link.
Thank you Thank you!!!! Thanks for the spreadsheet and look forward to reading the article. I think Astonishing is probably still dominant but others like Dr. Ghazi and Yes will start becoming very prominent. Astonishing will also start showing up even as a bigger force on the broodmare side. than he is already.

I'm also looking at Goal Keeper, Run Tell That, Widdo and might try some I Am Legend for longer routing too. Smoulders more for multi-surfaces and possibly Dumbledore as well.

Not to mention new studs like Happy Racing, Bond James Bond, Ensnared and Del Mar Derby. Whooo! :)

And pensioned but definitely not out, Fang on the broodmare side. I've got a nice colt by Standout and out of a Fang mare (the one that you picked up!), which actually was my first good luck with Standout.
Last edited by Marzy Dotes 11 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

---Author, Will Henr

---Edmund Burke
Ali Weasley
Hall of Fame

Post by Ali Weasley »

Madelene Gilbert wrote:Since we've had a nice showing of route maidens, I'm planning on doing some writing regarding these up-and-coming stars. In doing my research, I also decided to look into the represented sires, their statistics, additional offspring and any pedigree niches (see earlier thread discussion on AW route studs).

That was interesting. Thanks for sharing!
Marzy Dotes
Hall of Fame

Post by Marzy Dotes »

This new filly is by Yes and out of Hail Sleet 'n Snow mare Sweet in the Sleet.

She had galloped "stakes" but didn't do much on the track. Eliza called her a "star broodmare" and her first foal, was Alien Queen who broke her maiden first time out at routing. Hope the Yes/HSS combo works well.

And this colt by Standout and out of Not for Looking who's Magician/Awake As I Am and rated "formidable". Half brother is Stacee Jaxx who's worked well on AW and not too shabby on dirt being by Yes.

---Author, Will Henr

---Edmund Burke
Madelene Gilbert
Hall of Fame

Marzy, I didn't forget about Alien Queen. She's on my list. But I left Fang off the chart since he was pensioned.

If people find this chart useful, I'll be happy to keep it updated. There are a few more statistics I want to add for my own benefit. Granted I left off several standing sires simply for time sake, but if someone wants me to add a name for comparison, let me know. I'll probably update after tonight's results, then wait until the end of the year to finalize the stats.
I might also add another table for the newly pensioned sires (Start of the End, Fang, King of the Desert, etc) so I can track how they are as broodmare sires.

I'm debating on whether this sort of comparison would be useful for sprinters and/or milers. I might do sprinters for my own sake, but would there be interest for a miler chart?
Talia Ichinari
Hall of Fame

Post by Talia Ichinari »

I'd love a miler chart it feels like a complete crapshoot now trying to figure studs out.
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

I bred a pretty pony today :) I'm sure Maddy will appreciate this foal...

http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=345321
Smile For Em x Summer Battle
15.2H Chestnut Colt, Star
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Madelene Gilbert
Hall of Fame

Janena Olson wrote:I bred a pretty pony today :) I'm sure Maddy will appreciate this foal...

http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=345321
Smile For Em x Summer Battle
15.2H Chestnut Colt, Star
That is a whole lot of chestnutty win. I approve. :)
Madelene Gilbert
Hall of Fame

For those of you who pay attention to Scott's podcast Hold All Tickets (and those of you who don't)...

In addition to everything else I'm doing, I'm starting my own writing section devoted to All-Weather. You can find it here. Comments are welcome! :)

I've also published my write up on the top 2 year old routers. Look for coming articles on breeding/pedigrees with the sires table (mentioned previously) and other statistics.