Breeders' Cup 09 Thread Two

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Star Girl
Sprinter

Re: Breeders' Cup 09 Thread Two

Post by Star Girl »

And my status can be updated to definitely. We got hotel rooms today (apparently my aunt and uncle's house is too far from the track to stay there). Thought there is no way I can participate in any off-track events for two reasons (1) there is no way my Mom will let me do anything with a bunch of strangers neither of us really know and (2) I am going to be spending most of my free time not at the track studying for two tests next week.
Jolene Danner
Hall of Fame

Post by Jolene Danner »

Star Girl wrote:And my status can be updated to definitely. We got hotel rooms today (apparently my aunt and uncle's house is too far from the track to stay there). Thought there is no way I can participate in any off-track events for two reasons (1) there is no way my Mom will let me do anything with a bunch of strangers neither of us really know and (2) I am going to be spending most of my free time not at the track studying for two tests next week.
We are quite nice actually! You guys should come to the friday night dinner! its' right next to the track. It's going to be fun, and we'll be in a public place like the track so it's safe!
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Your parents can meet me at the track and then feel safe about it :-)
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Ali Weasley
Hall of Fame

Post by Ali Weasley »

The Steward wrote:Your parents can meet me at the track and then feel safe about it :-)
Also, I work at the track and my colleagues kinda run the place, so people know me and if I kill you there will be witnesses who can identify me... So I won't kill you and I won't let anyone else, either. :wink:

Bring your mom to Friday dinner, at least... Seriously, we're totally not axe-murderers.
Star Girl
Sprinter

Post by Star Girl »

I don't mind meeting you guys at the track really, it's always nice meeting other people into the sport since the friends I know off the internet aren't into the sport. I just don't think I could do any off track activities. As much as some of the activities sound fun just knowing my parents I have a hard time agreeing to something like this even if she met them. I have two tests the next week (one is on the Monday after the Cup after) and part of the compromise of me coming to the cup is to spend a good amount of time when not at the track studying for the two tests. And I really do need that spare time to study one of those tests is in a class that is considered to be the toughest at my college.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

I'll be going to the BC this year, but with a friend who will be more interested in handicapping the races and I doubt he'll want to visit with with a lot of people I've met in this game...which he doesn't play. It was his idea for this trip - for us to go down and do some serious handicapping and of course enjoy the races....but not so much to visit with people...that's why I've kind of stayed out of this thread.

Anyway, I got the tickets for our box-seats last week and was reading about some of the restrictions that things such as back packs, coolers, large bags were not allowed inside the track.

I didn't read anything about lap top computers though. And...how big of a hand bag do they consider 'too big'

Does anyone know if lap tops (and their carrying cases) are allowed at the track? We would like to be to access YouBet and also his Canadian betting service. He thinks it might be better to do it that way than fight the lines at the windows/machines between each race...and having had back surgery in the past, the idea of not standing in lines any longer than I have too, appeals to me too. : )

This will be the first vacation I've ever had in my life..I've never been out of the state of Idaho before so I'm both nervous and a excited about it. Any information about lap tops and how closely they search handbags and such would be helpful...I thought about bringing in a few bottles of water in my handbag/purse....it's not huge but would hold something like that. Also thought maybe some apples or something too....just to snack on while there. I know they have a restraunt (sp) there and probably some booths that sell hot dogs or something, but again, not sure how long the lines (or waiting for a table space) will be for such places. If any of you who have been to Santa Anita in the past could tell me a little about such things, I would be very grateful.

I haven't read this full thread yet, so not sure of all who's meeting up with the Steward and such...but I hope you all have a lot of fun and a safe trip there and back.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Karie McBrian
Grade 1 Winner

CA!!

Post by Karie McBrian »

So guys we will be coming.. I just had pretty major surgery (but robotic) so its going to be hard for me to do much, cant carry over 10 lbs and need to chill.. We arrive Monday the 2nd and are staying at:
Residence Inn Pasadena Arcadia
321 East Huntington Drive,
Arcadia, California 91006

My husband Ryan (Bob Probert on the game) and I are bringing Trent our 3 1/2 year old son (who thinks that Laura Ferguson is his Girlfriend :lol: LOL )

We are looking for things to do. Cheap, Free or discounted are my favorite.
I would love to take some scenery pics.. of the ocean or LA.. I have a new camera that is awesome.
Of course we plan on going to Santa Anita as much as possible.. but What can we do with a 3 year old? I would love to take him to the beach to see the Ocean- smimming? him maybe? I sure cant!

anyone have any ideas? I plan on attending the sim party stuff of course.. but a week is a long time to find things to do! I am trying to get tickets to Jimmy Kimmel for something to do..
Let me know if you have ideas
Thanks! Karie
Star Girl
Sprinter

Re: CA!!

Post by Star Girl »

Karie McBrian wrote:So guys we will be coming.. I just had pretty major surgery (but robotic) so its going to be hard for me to do much, cant carry over 10 lbs and need to chill.. We arrive Monday the 2nd and are staying at:
Residence Inn Pasadena Arcadia
321 East Huntington Drive,
Arcadia, California 91006

My husband Ryan (Bob Probert on the game) and I are bringing Trent our 3 1/2 year old son (who thinks that Laura Ferguson is his Girlfriend :lol: LOL )

We are looking for things to do. Cheap, Free or discounted are my favorite.
I would love to take some scenery pics.. of the ocean or LA.. I have a new camera that is awesome.
Of course we plan on going to Santa Anita as much as possible.. but What can we do with a 3 year old? I would love to take him to the beach to see the Ocean- smimming? him maybe? I sure cant!

anyone have any ideas? I plan on attending the sim party stuff of course.. but a week is a long time to find things to do! I am trying to get tickets to Jimmy Kimmel for something to do..
Let me know if you have ideas
Thanks! Karie
If you are getting there that early then I would recommend checking out a theme park for Knott's Berry Farm for the kid from what I remember there might be some stuff there for him. It's really nice but unfortunately due to it not being a chain it doesn't nearly get as much attention due to it not being a chain. That's all I can think of as far for the kid.
Ara Davies
Hall of Fame

Post by Ara Davies »

When I was a kid I really liked Knott's Berry Farm because they had a chicken in a box and when you put a quarter in the chicken would play a tune on a little piano and then food would drop out (for the chicken, not for me). Unless that was at Magic Mountain, I forget.

Anyway it was awesome and now I want a piano-playing chicken in a box.
You're not getting a dead button...in fits of rage, John Slotman and Ara Davies and Jolene Danner would literally kill half their barns.
- The Steward

That's my new motto: Don't quit, just shut up.
- Bryan Doolittle
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Karie,

There is so much stuff you can do. The LA Zoo is big and beautiful and not too far from the track, although I know you can't walk much maybe you could get a wheelchair hehe. I would be glad to take you to the beach, etc, but you know that!!! The Getty Center is pretty and you could do a Medieval Times dinner, that's always fun. I PM'd you with more.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Star Girl
Sprinter

Post by Star Girl »

I would also recommend maybe checking out Griffith Park. I went there a couple of times as a kid and really enjoyed it. Here is a link to there website: http://www.lacity.org/rap/dos/parks/gri ... /index.htm
Jolene Danner
Hall of Fame

Post by Jolene Danner »

i LOVE medieval times!!! It's so much fun. HUZZAH!! (well that is the tournament of kings but it's the same Idea.)
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

Stormy Peak wrote: Anyway, I got the tickets for our box-seats last week and was reading about some of the restrictions that things such as back packs, coolers, large bags were not allowed inside the track.

I didn't read anything about lap top computers though. And...how big of a hand bag do they consider 'too big'

Does anyone know if lap tops (and their carrying cases) are allowed at the track? We would like to be to access YouBet and also his Canadian betting service. He thinks it might be better to do it that way than fight the lines at the windows/machines between each race...and having had back surgery in the past, the idea of not standing in lines any longer than I have too, appeals to me too. : )

This will be the first vacation I've ever had in my life..I've never been out of the state of Idaho before so I'm both nervous and a excited about it. Any information about lap tops and how closely they search handbags and such would be helpful...I thought about bringing in a few bottles of water in my handbag/purse....it's not huge but would hold something like that. Also thought maybe some apples or something too....just to snack on while there. I know they have a restraunt (sp) there and probably some booths that sell hot dogs or something, but again, not sure how long the lines (or waiting for a table space) will be for such places. If any of you who have been to Santa Anita in the past could tell me a little about such things, I would be very grateful.

Stormy
So the safest bet is probably to call the track and check. But I can say I did once bring in a backpack (not on breeders cup day) because i didn't realize they were banned and no one said anything. As for the water and snacks they shouldn't have a problem. I know I brought a water bottle in with me holding it in my hand and never had anyone say anything.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Star Girl
Sprinter

Post by Star Girl »

Any recommendations for someone who is attending her first major racing even since she was ten (I am twenty now)? Actually this will be my first major event state-side. The even I attended when I was 10 was completely unplanned, and I actually have a very funny knack showing up at a racetrack without knowing their is a major race that day to watch the races. I managed to talk my parents into going to that track for the day just for fun, want to know what I ended up watching, the 2000 Irish Derby.

By the way I would really like to meet you guys on the track if possible. I will post a description of myself once I have a better idea of what I am taking (other than my camera of course).
Ali Weasley
Hall of Fame

Post by Ali Weasley »

Stormy Peak wrote:

Can I just play Horsemen's Friend for a brief moment and request that, if you can, you bet on track. I'm sure most handicappers are aware, but maybe some aren't, that on-track wagers generate significantly more revenue for the track and horsemen (purses) than ADW wagers. There is nothing more aggravating to racetracks than people who come to the track and still wager though ADWs. Of course, in this case, handle benefits BC instead of Oak Tree, but in the end the point is still the same.

I'll look into whether or not SA is equipped with the wagering PDAs or if they'll have people running bets for players.

Forgive my pushiness on this issue, but horse racing is not healthy, and needs every little cent it can get... ESPECIALLY in California. Basically, I'm hoping that there is still horse racing here in 10 years, and if encouraging people to bet on-track will help, then I will do some serious encouraging.