Y35 New Gender Selection Format

Any information from the Steward
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Tammy Fox
Eclipse Champion

Re: Y35 New Gender Selection Format

Post by Tammy Fox »

I did random except for my 10 and older mares then I selected fillies just in case something happened to the mare. I always try to make her last foal a filly for a potential replacement. I am fine with the random because my breeding barn is not large at all and I like it that way.
I am fine with random gender and support the steward picking the simmy winner.
Not everyone likes changes and they are hard to adjust to but sometimes in the end it turns out to be the best thing ever so I say bring it on, I don't care colts or fillies, that way if I get a colt that is horrid I can geld him and race him in claimers and make money off of him for a little bit and then if he doesn't get claimed sell him in my end of year auction after a couple of years for someone else to race him and make money off of him. Some colts are actually better runners than producers in the shed as I have seen over the years so sounds like fun to me.
Ronda Figal
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Ronda Figal »

I've noticed i've been using more and ore of the random breedings myself. For me it's easier than counting how many fillies and then how many colts i have over and over to keep it straight. And i pretty much was geting to the point i was only delibertaly breeidng fillies off my better older mares 20 will leave me plenty of fillies to replace older mares. So this change dosen't really bother me at all that much though it would effect how i'd feel about leasing mares myself..
Landon Alexander
Hall of Fame

Post by Landon Alexander »

Madelene Gilbert wrote:
Nena Olson wrote:
Lauren Haggerty wrote:I think the white got taken out of the random color option. Anyone have conformation on that? I seem to remember reading that somewhere but I could also be imagining things.
Yep, it did because it was giving a LOT of white foals. Now I think Roan is the new White haha. Though, did roan get removed because I haven't had a roan foal in awhile, I don't believe (I could be wrong, I don't pay attention to horse color!)
I wish roan was combined with grey for the TBs, like IRL. Would make headshots easier. Mixed breeds would stay as is.
White was removed from the new year? or this past season? Because this past season I had random colored foals turn up white ... twins even.
Landon Alexander
Hall of Fame

I did "random" gender at least 80% of my foals or even 90% and still came up heavy on the fillies.

Also, long ago when I first started I swear the Rules page had a brief sentence about sticking to 50/50 breeding if you pick gender and if that isn't done and somebody is heavily breeding one way or the other then the Steward had the right to change some of the foals genders. That is not there anymore though... But I'm positive it had to be there because for so many years I was paranoid my foals would get gender changes if I didn't try to even out the genders in my foal barn... I'd breed random and turn up tons of fillies so then I'd force colts for the last half of my breeding to even things out.

Any who... from a larger stable of over 800 broodmares (closer to 850 actually)... 20 is not many
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

Landon Alexander wrote:
Madelene Gilbert wrote: I wish roan was combined with grey for the TBs, like IRL. Would make headshots easier. Mixed breeds would stay as is.
White was removed from the new year? or this past season? Because this past season I had random colored foals turn up white ... twins even.
It was removed, gosh, not last year but the year before. From TBs! I don't know about other breeds :)
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

I just recently colored one white....but given her pedigree it was something I really wanted. I don't know why this is such a hair up some people's butts. Let them stick to genetic colors if they want and let the rest of us who want an occasional white thoroughbred have one. Keep a little of the fun fantasy in the game.

Patchen's Honor.(pedigree goes back to Patchen Beauty - a real life white t-bred).

http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=397285

I found out not to long ago that Patchen's Ghost (who is also white) gets high marks for steeplechasing with some of her it was a B+ for 'chasing. I kind of wish I had known that earlier...I didn't breed her very often.
------
Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Lisa Strummer
Hall of Fame

Post by Lisa Strummer »

Since I have always thought choosing gender was unrealistic, but have enjoyed being able to make fillies when I wanted/needed them, I have pretty much followed the 50/50 suggestion for many years now. So, I'm only slightly annoyed by this change. I alternate colt/filly each year, it's not very realistic, but it kept my numbers in check. The only time I altered the order was for possible last foals, leases, imminent pensioning of stallions, etc. I have 140 broodmares right now, and although I only breed about 90-100 of them a year, I just hope twenty options to choose will be enough. It's also going to push me to plan ahead for the breeding season, which will be a pain for me to find the time.

I've already used two breeding Quarter Horse mares this morning for reasons I listed above. I don't care much about the Mixed breeds, but the two mares I bred this morning were important, so now I only have 18 choices left for my TB mares. I'd be happier if players with large broodmare bands got more choosing gender options, but realize that that would just lead to players buying a bunch of cheap fillies to retire and sit unbred just to get more.

I'm not freaking out about the change, things usually have a way of working out ok in the SIM. I am more mad that people that have followed the suggested guidelines are now paying the price for the overzealous, over-breeding players.

I LOVE the new color options, makes it so much quicker, and realistic. Speaking of realistic, I'm no expert at Quarter Horse racing, but I've never seen, or known about any that are not Bay, Brown, Chestnut/Sorrel, Gray, and occasionally Black, never understood why there were so many color choices for the QHs.
That's my new motto: Don't quit, just shut up.-Bryan Doolittle
Greg Mey
Derby Contender

Post by Greg Mey »

I actually like this idea. You can't pick it in real life, so why pick it here? Some will be luckier than others, but that is the way everything goes. Why should "predicting" the gender be any more accurate than everything else in The SIM? You still get 20 to pick which seems reasonable to me.

I'm in the minority, but I feel this is the way it should be.
Abe Froman
Hall of Fame

Post by Abe Froman »

Does getting more fillies actually mean you are luckier? For stallions that produce far better colts than fillies, that wouldn't seem to be lucky.
Melissa Mae
Hall of Fame

Post by Melissa Mae »

Lisa Strummer wrote:I LOVE the new color options, makes it so much quicker, and realistic. Speaking of realistic, I'm no expert at Quarter Horse racing, but I've never seen, or known about any that are not Bay, Brown, Chestnut/Sorrel, Gray, and occasionally Black, never understood why there were so many color choices for the QHs.
There's been a few good palominos and other "non-tb" colors in QH racing. Duns seem to come more from the performance/cow lin es but they are out there in the racing world as well, just not as popular as the other colors because there's a lot of TB blood in the racing part of the industry (especially when it comes to First Down Dash horses).
Paul Heinrich
Hall of Fame

Post by Paul Heinrich »

Abe Froman wrote:Does getting more fillies actually mean you are luckier? For stallions that produce far better colts than fillies, that wouldn't seem to be lucky.
Mo' fillies, mo' problems, that's what I say.
"They're not going to kick me out." - Tim Matthews
Greg Mey
Derby Contender

Post by Greg Mey »

Abe Froman wrote:Does getting more fillies actually mean you are luckier? For stallions that produce far better colts than fillies, that wouldn't seem to be lucky.
I wasn't specifying gender. Some owners with similar mares are going to get different results going to similar studs. That is where the luck will come in. Being able to choose gender is a luxury, but it isn't realistic. The ratio isn't just an overall issue. I don't think we want mainly one quantity dominant gender per stud or mare. I also believe that a 50/50 split numbers-wise isn't all we would want. We would want equivalent depth of quality for both fillies and colts.
Landon Alexander
Hall of Fame

In the past I have noted which of my mares breed better fillies vs colts (or vice versa) and then paired them with stallions that produce one gender better than the other in an attempt to optimize my odds. Not sure if it works as I have followed through on this non-study. :)
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

And my first random foal of the year... filly lol but I like that you can see the 0 out of 20 on the actual create a foal/pick gender page. That way you know how many you have left!

And so far we have 355 foals in the SIM and 195 of them are fillies which is 54% fillies.
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Charles Bunbury
Hall of Fame

Post by Charles Bunbury »

I'm no liking this!

So far I've bred 24. Of those I only wanted one to be a filly. I used one from my quota for this. Last season it would have been 1 filly 23 colts. Current total, 11 fillies 13 colts.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wish list
Alternate horses between jumps and flat.
Search for previous rather than current owners of horses.
Stallions year entered for stud duties.
Automated assistant trainers - sorted, kind of!
European claiming circuit.