Horse Question

Advice and Other Goodies for Newbies
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Rebecca Rose Hepburn
Hall of Fame

Post by Rebecca Rose Hepburn »

Ok, if you owned this boy: <a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=15006' target='_blank'>http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php ... D=15006</a> what would you do for his next race? How much time would you give him at the farm? (I'm thinking at least two weeks). What equipment would you try him on? Would you drop him in class some? (I'm thinking so) Would you stretch him out even?

Thanks in advance :)
A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.- Pam Brown
Brianna McKenzie
Eclipse Champion

Post by Brianna McKenzie »

Well. Strange pedigree. It makes more real life sense then it does SIM sense. There are two others on the same cross. Neither is anything special.

There is enough in the pedigree that I would WANT to stretch him out, but running lines suggest sprinter to me. That week 2 race was really quite a good effort. I am going to totally write off the week 4 race and say he was just tired. I think you had the equipment right. I'd be finding a farm for him definately. Personally, I'd be looking at week 8 or 9 for a return race.

If he were mine, he'd be in a high priced claimer.

Grasping AT straws.. Turf. The dam side is fairly turfy.
IsaP

Post by IsaP »

No.. keep him on dirt...

if he had tanked in his dirt races, I'd agree with the turf suggestion, however, he's broken his maiden on dirt. His best race was a 5 1/2 furlong maiden claiming race, suggesting he may be a sprinter, but you never know... with maiden claimers, he may have just been the most talented out there.

I'd take the figure 8 off of him. When he won, he did it with a shadow roll and bandages. A fig 8 can sometimes be too harsh for a horse and cause him to fight, be distracted, and just not run as well. Case in point, Graduation Ring. The Fig 8 was taken off of her and she began to win. Just because a horse fights with his rider once doesn't entirely mean that he's too rank to run without a fig 8.. may just mean that his speed was too erratic, and the jock tried to check him to no avail.

At first glance, I thought Blinkers, but it seems that this colt gets dull when he can't see the competition. His sire raced well at over a mile, so I suggest stretching him out a bit. His dam also seemed to do well on distance. It may just be a case of not enough room for him to get his groove on.

The flip side of this has to do with his breeding. I agree his mare is a turfy girl.. but his dad is dirt-oriented. He may just be confused and won't really be outstanding on either surface.
LaDonna King
Eclipse Champion

Post by LaDonna King »

while his pedigree says long, his race record says he likes short better. and while his pedigree says dirt, both sides of his pedigree have thrown turf. his running lines also suggest he might want to at least try turf. his dam's lone win was on the turf. if he were mine, i'd try him at either 6 or 7furlongs on the turf. it won't hurt to try. his running line week 2 (Bolted to lead, fought rider, dueled down stretch, no match) suggests either a f8 or a surface change. his last race, he had a f8 and didn't seem to really help...which makes me think he might like the turf. i very well could be wrong, but it's worth a shot and it can't hurt him. i'd look for a NW2 or a claiming race and then work from there.
Rebecca Rose Hepburn
Hall of Fame

Post by Rebecca Rose Hepburn »

Thanks to everyone who responded, you guys have been a lot of help :D
A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.- Pam Brown
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

I'm a big believer in trying things until you find out that something either works or doesn't work, and since this one's breeding says it should be going long, I'd send it 8 or 9 furlongs in an allowance race in Week 7 or 8.

I've had more than my share of horses that like to be up near the pace, but that doesn't necessarily make them sprinters. If you're familiar with real racing, think about War Emblem. He needed the lead, and if you ran him aginst sprinters, his running lines would look about like this colt's did. "Bolted to lead, rank, tired." As soon as he stretched out though, that did the trick. Suddenly he had the natural speed to cruise up on or near the lead with horses that maybe weren't as likely to whip off a 44 second opening half mile, and he goes and wins the Derby.

Moral of the story: your horse's performances tell you two things.
1) There's some talent there, and he could be a useful runner if you can figure him out.

2) He really didn't like being run against horses like Enforcer at 9 furlongs the week after breaking his maiden at 5 1/2 furlongs, and nobody has bothered since then to check if he might like 8 or 9 furlongs against a more appropriate competition.

So, if this were my horse, I'd look for an allowance race, Week 8, in California (preferably, though if you ship him in advance anywhere in the US is fine), at 8 or 9 furlongs. I'd run him in a shadow roll, hind bandages, and a figure 8, and then I'd go from there.