Beagle and Clampett Mixed Names Contest Begins!!!!

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Jeb Clampett
Eclipse Champion

Beagle and Clampett Mixed Names Contest Begins!!!!

Post by Jeb Clampett »

Thanks to everyone for donating prizes; we've gotten lots of great donations – and even a few awesome ones. Prizes we've received so far are listed below -- but more prizes are always welcome! :wink:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STARTING NOW we're soliciting puzzling Mixed Up Names from you! We'll be accepting submissions for the next week, so get them in before Thursday, March 12th at 7:30 Game Time (9:30 Central Time).

So here's what you do: think up some fun ways to mix up the names of some SIM horses and send us your puzzles. Remember, these submissions will make up the bulk of our next contest, so make up your puzzles individually (or in consultation with only non-SIMsters) and keep your puzzles and solutions private. You can always brag about them after the contest closes. In fact, we'll have polls afterward to identify favorite puzzles which will be a great place to brag about your entries!

Puzzles may be:
Alternate meanings for horse name (for example: Defeated by Musical Rhythm = Beat By Beat)
Restatements of name (for example: What an EKG Detects = Beatofmyheart)
There can also be puns, anagrams, and other such devilish tricks -- whatever you can think up.
All horses used must be SIM horses (any breed). SIM horses may be active, retired, pensioned or deceased, but each horse must have SIM race earnings of at least $100,000. See Leo's Post “Beagle & Clampett Mixed Up Names Contest is returning!!!!" for more details and a link to the previous contest.

Send your puzzles BY PM ONLY to Jeb Clampett or Leonard Beagle. We're going to be selecting the puzzles that will be included in the contest – and everything looks easy if you know the answer. So, please in your PM first list the puzzles you've written, then several spaces, then the answers:
----------------------------------------------------
James Anthony's and P.T.'s Big Show
Hound's Partner Spanish And
Goalie on a Nightmare Team
Hardly audible comment
What Charlie Brown is on Valentine's Day
Death Shall Have None of This

...lots of spaces...

James Anthony's and P.T.'s Big Show = Three Ring Circus
Hound's Partner Spanish And = Foxy
Goalie on a Nightmare Team = Dream Keeper
Hardly audible comment = Barely Whisper
What Charlie Brown is on Valentine's Day = Broken Hearted
Death Shall Have None of This = Dominion
---------------------------------------------------
You can send more than one PM as you think of more puzzles. Just follow the same format.

We'll take all the puzzles we receive and then select a subset and group into groups of three (just as in first contest) where each puzzle in a group is written by a different person. To win, you will have to guess all three in that group. Selection of puzzles will be somewhat arbitrary and based on trying to develop a good balance within each group and over all groups. So to say “Thanks for entering”, we'll select, at random, 5 people who submitted at least 3 puzzles and award them 1,000 GPs each. Not that you really need a reward -- they're fun to write!

Moreover, if one or more of your puzzles is selected, you can win even more prizes in the polls after the contest. And you're still eligible to enter the contest - with a little boost, as you'll know the answer(s) to the puzzle(s) you wrote :D

Selections will be made by a panel of four: Leo Beagle, Jeb Clampett, Bryan Doolittle, and Ronnie Dee. The four of us will also be monitoring the forum during the “solving” phase.

Good Luck and Have Fun!
Last edited by Jeb Clampett 15 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
"Luck is my middle name," said Rincewind, indistinctly.
"Mind you, my first name is Bad."

-- (Terry Pratchett, Interesting Times)
Leonard Beagle
Hall of Fame

Re: Beagle and Clampett Mixed Names Contest Begins!!!!

Post by Leonard Beagle »

Well, we thought we'd list the prizes we've received so far. Some you'll be able to win by solving our puzzles. And some you'll be able to win by submitting puzzles for us to use! ;)

So get your thinking caps on and have fun coming up with submissions!

You've got til next Thursday night to get them to Jeb or myself!

Thank you!

PRIZES (so far!)
Bill Outsilver - Free Breeding to Gonzalo AND 3000GPs

Michael Edwards - Free Breeding to Miles Apart

Bryan Doolittle - Free Breeding to Automobile

Anonymous - 25,000 SIMmoney

Matt Woolfolk - Mare lease of stakes winning mare, Abu. Some stipulations on stallion, however, contact Matt for details!

Alex Puderbaugh - Free Breeding to Run

Amy Atkins - Free Breeding to Dream Of Her AND 3000GPs

Miryam Cornwall - Free Breeding to Boot Legger

Ara Davies - Free Breeding to any one of Ara's stallions (18 of them!)

Jack Johns - Mare lease of Zimm's Good Try. Some stipulations on naming rights, contact Jack for details! (This prize for the mixed breed lovers!)

Carolyn Eaton - 3000GPs

Lynn Dvorak - Free Breeding to Fish

Leigh Ann Anderson - 5000GPs

Lisa Strummer - Free Breeding to both Wherethecircleends AND I Already Rule

Matthew McMahon - Free Breeding to any one of Matthew's stallions (Y Are U Here, Bus Lane, Auto Brake, National Park, Dogfight or Chernobyl)

LaDonna King - Free Breeding to any one of LaDonna's stallions (22 of them!)

Sean Furney - Free Breeding to Man Down

Tim Matthews, Jr. - Free Breeding to Throwing Punches

Leonard Beagle - Free Breeding to Lionize and 8000GPs
Last edited by Leonard Beagle 15 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Leonard Beagle
Hall of Fame

Post by Leonard Beagle »

*clink, clink*

"Ahem, is this thing on?"
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

Leo, I think the problem is your stipulation about the horse needing to have 100k in earnings-everyone's working on foal names and not thinking about the older stock.
Sorry
Nick :(
Jeb Clampett
Eclipse Champion

Post by Jeb Clampett »

Nick Gilmore wrote:Leo, I think the problem is your stipulation about the horse needing to have 100k in earnings-everyone's working on foal names and not thinking about the older stock.
Sorry
Nick :(
Nick, you're probably right about everybody working on foal names. But, and trust me on this, nobody wants to play in the Mixed Names contest without that 100k earnings restriction -- otherwise, it's just overwhelming; in fact, it's pretty overwhelming anyway.

Maybe, it might help a little if I told my approach? What I do is to go to the search page and type in two or three random letters (amn, er, sar...) and, now that it's there click on stakes winners (there are probably a number of horses with over 100k in earnings who haven't won any stakes, but it cuts it down). Then I start at the beginning, or go to the middle, or start and the end and see if I get any inspiration.

Example, I'll pick je (for Jeb): first one I see is Benny And The Jets. Well, that doesn't really inspire me, but I'll go Google...came up with a puzzle of "Elton J and Bernie T did it".

Little while down saw "Jefferson in Paris" came up with "Where did Thomas go?"

Sneaky and mean -- maybe -- but it's fun when you get into it! :lol:

Leonard Beagle
Hall of Fame

Post by Leonard Beagle »

I want to take a bit of time to thank all of those who have donated fun prizes!! Jeb and I both know that the prizes help make this contest what it is!

And thanks to Tim Matthews, Jr for his recent donation of a free breeding.

Also, we got our FIRST submissions.....Thank you Ramey!

Leo
Leonard Beagle
Hall of Fame

Post by Leonard Beagle »

OK, thanks to The Steward's "How I Survived The Break" contest, I now know that there are people out there who are practically BEGGING for SIMstuff to occupy their time. Here's your chance....

We've still got 2 full days that we will take in submissions. And right now, Ramey is gonna rack up the prizes because she's the only one that has entered.

I know, I know, lots of you are still breeding before the deadline. And I know some of you are taking the SIMbreak to actually take a break. But, it is pretty fun to come up with these puzzles, as I learned last Wednesday night.....
....I had made a list of horses to work on and I took it with me to Pool League night. I was gonna work on them in between games. Well, my teammates were real curious what I was doing, so I told them what I was working on, and by the time the night was over, I had 25 really good puzzles. THEY LOVED IT!! And you might too! ;)

Thanks for anyone who is working on them, you won't be disappointed with your efforts!

Leo and Jeb
Leonard Beagle
Hall of Fame

Post by Leonard Beagle »

Another who is eligible for prizes, Iggy Timeeczech.

Thanks for the submission Iggy!!!!
Jeb Clampett
Eclipse Champion

Post by Jeb Clampett »

Hey, Leo, what a great idea! You shouldn't get together with other SIMsters to come up with puzzles, but you sure can get non SIMsters to help -- and it's fun.

Ramey and Iggy might get mad at me, but if anybody is working on these or wishing they could use Leo's idea over the weekend, then please post here and say so. If we were to hear from at least a few people, we could extend the deadline over the weekend.

Don't be shy...remember there are, at least, possible GPs for everyone who enters. And if one or more of your puzzle gets selected (very likely), then there's possibility of more great prizes. (Again, sorry, Ramey and Iggy -- but maybe everybody else won't even try) :lol:

Lori Hamill
Hall of Fame

Post by Lori Hamill »

Leo, are mixed breeds included this year?

Nevermind, I just saw that you put (any breed) at the top.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Leonard Beagle
Hall of Fame

Post by Leonard Beagle »

I haven't conferred with Jeb on this, but I would say Yes. As long as they've earned enough money!

Happy Trails wrote:Leo, are mixed breeds included this year?
Leonard Beagle
Hall of Fame

Post by Leonard Beagle »

Entries are closed.....look for the contest to start soon! ;)
Jeb Clampett
Eclipse Champion

Post by Jeb Clampett »

:D 1,000 GPs sent to:

Ramey Furney
Iggy Timeczhech
Sasha Heald
Leigh Ann Anderson
Happy Trails
Ramrod Racing

Thanks a ton for the great entries!!!

We're rating and sorting and generally figuring things out. Contest for everyone should start in a few days. :P

Leonard Beagle
Hall of Fame

Post by Leonard Beagle »

A little birdie told me that this contest may be showing up soon!

;)
:D