Turf Racing in the US

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Angela Dee Cochran
Eclipse Champion

Post by Angela Dee Cochran »

Am I just not seeing them? It feels like there are next to nothing to choose turf races for 2year olds in the US. I have 2 distance fillies that 1 I know needs turf distance and the other I want to try starting her out on turf. Ive waited until later in the season to race them to give them time to develop, but now that I am looking for them, there is next to nothing here in the US for them. When do distances for 2 year olds on turf hit 7 furlongs and a mile? I hadnt planned on shipping either out of US but maybe thinking I should so they can start racing. As of now I think Ill only get 2 or 3 races out of them for this year as it is.

On the one that im not sure yet if turf is hers, I thought about doing a 6 furlong race just to get her on the track, but they filled up pretty quick so its slim pickings.
Perfect Night
Standing in France for $35k
South American Champion Two Year Old Male
North American Champion Turf Sprinter
Year 26 Steward Cup Turf Sprint Winner
Year 25 Los Campeones Juniors Sprint Winner
Martin Pennington
Hall of Fame

Post by Martin Pennington »

Best thing if you have a turf 2yo is to wait for the European season to start or to head to Australia where there are plenty of opportunities.

The US is the only major racing nation which stages top level dirt races regularly (Japan has a view but it's not in the same league), thus it makes sense for the SIM to stage less turf races in North America and more elsewhere as it makes the game both more realistic and provides a more equal balance of turf/dirt races throughout the year.
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

I took a quick look, and I'm not sure what the issue is.

In Week 6, there are 25 turf races for 2yos. Of them, six (or just shy of 25%) of them are in the United States. Now, if you're looking for an allowance or stakes, there's only four of those this week, all in various locales of South America. So, being in Australia, Europe, Japan or South Africa, for example, doesn't help you there. In fact, most of those countries have only two maiden races in Week 6, one for colts and one for fillies. There is one claiming event - in South Africa.

In Week 7, there are 32 turf races for 2yos. Again, of them, eight (or 25%) of them are in the United States, including a pair of allowances and a pair of stakes. Most of the racing circuits (Australia, South America, Europe, Japan, South Africa) have a pair of stakes that week, so there aren't a lot of maiden turf races, period.

So, in terms of turf opportunities, it isn't necessarily true that you have less opportunities, as you have to keep in mind that the remaining 75% of races are divided up among Australia, Barbados, Europe, Japan, South Africa and South America and most of those circuits are not terribly close to each other. In a pinch, Barbados isn't that far a ship from the southeastern U.S.

As for distance, the races only start going to 7 furlongs and a mile in Week 7. I had several routers last year not debut until Week 8. This is also true of dirt races. And yes, that's the price you pay for having a router (I love routers, so I'm quite familiar with this) - the horse ends up with 2 to 4 starts at two, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.
Angela Dee Cochran
Eclipse Champion

Post by Angela Dee Cochran »

Martin Pennington wrote:
The US is the only major racing nation which stages top level dirt races regularly (Japan has a view but it's not in the same league), thus it makes sense for the SIM to stage less turf races in North America and more elsewhere as it makes the game both more realistic and provides a more equal balance of turf/dirt races throughout the year.
I guess its not really an issue.

I just havent been sure about sending over seas to different areas, and didnt really realize untill, prob today, that maybe I should have sent those two fillies else where to race. :unsure:

I guess my problem was, exspecially with 1 of the fillies I was talking about (Go The Distance), that last year I was advised to wait untill later in the season to race her and not to go less than 7 furlongs to start out. (So of the ones in the US none was applicable for her as I wanted 7furlongs maiden fillies (and shes a VA bred) and did not want any claimimg races) I was very unsure of putting her in a stakes race her first time, out. (shrugs)

Like I said I am still so unsure of myself. I hadnt made a whole lot of smart bids for my horses last year, so I thought I was playing it safe by keeping her close to home- as well as the fact of Im not sure what circuits would be best to go to. Im still very unsure of alot of things and I am trying to race smarter this year than last. ^_^

I went ahead and entered her in a 61/2 furlong race in CAN, hoping the distance will be ok for right now. Well see. Maybe after this week I can ship her somewhere where the races would be good for her as far as distance goes. Prob ship the other filly as well, if I can figure what area might be good to go to.
Perfect Night
Standing in France for $35k
South American Champion Two Year Old Male
North American Champion Turf Sprinter
Year 26 Steward Cup Turf Sprint Winner
Year 25 Los Campeones Juniors Sprint Winner