Breeders' Cup 09 Thread Two

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Re: Breeders' Cup 09 Thread Two

Post by Stormy Peak »

It comes down to what my my back will be able to take....
Standing for even a short time really Hurts. I can walk for quite a while, and that doesn't bother it near as much as standing even for 10 minutes. For some reason standing causes me a lot of pain....the damaged nerve I have in my back starts sending a 'shooting' pain down my right leg.

And I don't want to trust my money with some 'runner' who will go place the bets for me...and I sure don't want to sit alone and have my friend go do all of that between races.

Santa Anita, has box seats, and monitors there inside each box - I would have to wonder why they don't put betting monitors there instead? Makes sense if they want to keep their money at that track.

Also, you have to look at the other side of things too. Being from Idaho.. I would never have placed any bets at all....if it wasn't for YouBet. And...over the years, Santa Anita and other tracks have Got some of my money....money they never would have recieved at all from me and others like me who just can't hop into a car and go to the track every weekend.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Leonard Beagle
Hall of Fame

Post by Leonard Beagle »

Stormy, I'm really looking forward to meeting you!
(And looking at some of your picks! ;) )

Change of subject....
I'm not leaving LA until Monday morning, so I have the whole day Sunday for sightseeing and have a drive planned. I'll be renting a car, and seeing quite a bit of the area. From LAX (where I pick up my rental), I'll be driving a couple of hours to Big Bear to see the mountains. After a couple hours there, back in the car and headed back west to drive through Beverly Hills. I've been told to drive Mulholland Drive, and then take Sunset Boulevard down to Santa Monica and Marina Del Ray. From there, head up the Pacific Coast Highway to Malibu.

Yes, it's a lot of driving, but I want to see it while I'm there!!
If anyone is interested in tagging along, let me know! :)

Also, I have a bed available at my hotel on Thursday night and Sunday night if anyone is looking for a place to stay. Rooms cost me $80, so it'll only be $40 for you. Friday and Saturday night are already spoken for.

Thanks, and I'M REAL EXCITED TO MEET EVERYONE!

Leo
Star Girl
Sprinter

Post by Star Girl »

Stormy Peak wrote:It comes down to what my my back will be able to take....
Standing for even a short time really Hurts. I can walk for quite a while, and that doesn't bother it near as much as standing even for 10 minutes. For some reason standing causes me a lot of pain....the damaged nerve I have in my back starts sending a 'shooting' pain down my right leg.
Hope you feel better soon. My mom had problems similar to that (except it hurt for her to sit instead of standing). It used to come at infrequent intervals until my Mom realized it was one very wacky side affect of Crestor (proof: http://www.spacedoc.net/crestor.htm). Hope you feel better soon.

By the way can someone give me a link to Santa Anita's restrictions list? I've tried finding it by going around the site without any success.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Leonard Beagle wrote:Stormy, I'm really looking forward to meeting you!
Leo I may be taking this totally the wrong way, but it sounded to me like she's not interested in meeting us?
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Karie McBrian
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Karie McBrian »

The beach is for sure - Trent will LOVE it. I am not a beach person but I can lay there (fully clothed)and relax!
The Zoo is an option I think our Toledo Zoo membership gives us a 50% discount so that will be good.
I can walk some, just will probably need to stop and rest and take pain killers- so i may be loopy? ha!

Where can I get some cool pictures? There have to be some hidden places that are great to take pics from. The Observatory- do they have a place to take pictures from?
Jolene Danner
Hall of Fame

Post by Jolene Danner »

Stormy Peak wrote: And I don't want to trust my money with some 'runner' who will go place the bets for me...and I sure don't want to sit alone and have my friend go do all of that between races.
We use the same system at Canterbury that they do at SA. The runners don't go somewhere with your money. THye print the ticket right where you are. We call them walkabouts. Last year i didn't notice super long lines at the windows. But that could be cause we were running all over and maybe seeing the windows at odd times. Another good way is to get all your bets figured out and bet them early. Then you can just sit and enjoy the races. Cash everything when you are on your way out.

I agree with Ali, it's a big difference to the track whether you are betting though an ADW or via the track. If the takeout on the bet it 15% the one the handles the bet gets the majority of it, and the host track gets 3-4%. Where as betting on track the track gets the whole sum. I'd be surprised if you can get ON youbet.com at the track. I believe that we blocked it and other wagering sites on our wireless. For MN it's illegal to bet online anyway.
Leonard Beagle
Hall of Fame

Post by Leonard Beagle »

The Steward wrote:
Leo I may be taking this totally the wrong way, but it sounded to me like she's not interested in meeting us?
Uhmmm, yes, you seem to be taking this the wrong way! :) I'm sure she wants to meet everyone else too....haha!

It's just that her and I have had a nice friendly battle going with a couple of our horses.....
ah hell......I don't know.

Just, sorry you took it that way? I guess??? :shock:
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Stormy Peak wrote:I'll be going to the BC this year, but with a friend who will be more interested in handicapping the races and I doubt he'll want to visit with with a lot of people I've met in this game....

...but I hope you all have a lot of fun and a safe trip there and back.
There was nothing in there about "I'm really excited to meet you guys" or "can't wait to hook up" or "hope to run into you" even. How else am I supposed to take it?
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Leonard Beagle
Hall of Fame

Post by Leonard Beagle »

The Steward wrote:
Stormy Peak wrote:I'll be going to the BC this year, but with a friend who will be more interested in handicapping the races and I doubt he'll want to visit with with a lot of people I've met in this game....

...but I hope you all have a lot of fun and a safe trip there and back.
There was nothing in there about "I'm really excited to meet you guys" or "can't wait to hook up" or "hope to run into you" even. How else am I supposed to take it?
Ahh, yes. There is that then! :(

But I don't care, I'm gonna find her and say "HI".

"Hi, I'm Leo, are you Stormy?"
How many people do you think I can say that to before I am asked to leave the grounds? :)
Ali Weasley
Hall of Fame

Post by Ali Weasley »

Stormy Peak wrote:It comes down to what my my back will be able to take....

And I don't want to trust my money with some 'runner' who will go place the bets for me...and I sure don't want to sit alone and have my friend go do all of that between races.

Santa Anita, has box seats, and monitors there inside each box - I would have to wonder why they don't put betting monitors there instead? Makes sense if they want to keep their money at that track.

Also, you have to look at the other side of things too. Being from Idaho.. I would never have placed any bets at all....if it wasn't for YouBet. And...over the years, Santa Anita and other tracks have Got some of my money....money they never would have recieved at all from me and others like me who just can't hop into a car and go to the track every weekend.

Stormy
I completely understand your predicament. Heck, I've never had back issues and my back is usually aching after concerts, etc where I've been standing for long periods.

I'm not saying don't ever bet on YouBet ever again. By all means, pretty pretty please continue to bet the California tracks as often as you wish. PLEASE. And encourage your friends to do so, also! I'm not saying that you shouldn't. I'm just saying that if you're going to be at the track (which is awesome and I also encourage everyone to please pretty pretty please come to the CA horse races), it's better for the industry if you bet on track. That's all.

Oh, and on that same level, when you do you internet wagers from Idaho, you should use OakTreeBets.com. They get more revenue from it than any of the other ADW companies.

What can I say, shameless advertising... I love California horse racing, and like I said, I'd love for it to still exist in 10 years and as of right now I'm not sure how likely that actually is.

Oh! And we're currently looking into getting SAMs in the boxes. It's not as easy as just putting them in, unfortunately.
Jolene wrote:e use the same system at Canterbury that they do at SA. The runners don't go somewhere with your money. THye print the ticket right where you are. We call them walkabouts. Last year i didn't notice super long lines at the windows. But that could be cause we were running all over and maybe seeing the windows at odd times. Another good way is to get all your bets figured out and bet them early. Then you can just sit and enjoy the races. Cash everything when you are on your way out.

I agree with Ali, it's a big difference to the track whether you are betting though an ADW or via the track. If the takeout on the bet it 15% the one the handles the bet gets the majority of it, and the host track gets 3-4%. Where as betting on track the track gets the whole sum. I'd be surprised if you can get ON youbet.com at the track. I believe that we blocked it and other wagering sites on our wireless. For MN it's illegal to bet online anyway.
Also, what she said. I'm not sure if Santa Anita even has wireless... And if they do, I'd have to agree with Jo' here. They really want your on-track money.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

The Steward wrote:
Sorry if it sounds that way to you :(
But that's way off the mark.

I would be interested in meeting everyone.

But as it is, I am going with someone else and I know he's going there to do some major handicapping/wagering.

I'm his guest at this event, being he's paid for everything. I'll be paying him back for my share of the expenses for probably the next year at about $100.00 a month, because I'm not rich and just couldn't come up with that kind of money.

He insists I don't have to pay him back, (he's wealthy), but I wouldn't feel comfortable in having someone spend that much money on me.

So...as it is, being he's paying for the full expense of the trip up front... I wouldn't feel right asking him to go meet people I 'know' from a sim-game, nor would it be right for me to leave him and hunt down some of you at the track.

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Jolene Danner
Hall of Fame

Post by Jolene Danner »

I guess I don't really understand. I make my RL friends meet my SIM friends all the time. They don't seem offended to meet them. And it's always nice to make track connections IMO. My 2 BFF's from Canterbury hung out with Leo all day at Oaklawn. They had no clue who he was. But i was like hey there is this guy from the SIM game I play. We are meeting him. he seems nice. HAHA We also met Chris Carmen. It's fun. Going to the paddock to hang out with us for 1 race out of 14 doesn't seem in the outer limits of propriety in any case.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Okay tonight I sent out the dinner invitation to everyone that I think is going to be in California that weekend.

If you did not get it and want it, let me know. :-)
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Ali LaDuke wrote:
Oh, and on that same level, when you do you internet wagers from Idaho, you should use OakTreeBets.com. They get more revenue from it than any of the other ADW companies.
In Idaho, only two legal internet sites are allowed... YouBet and TVG.

At first, it was only YouBet that was allowed here in Idaho...and even then they've been yanked a few times, due to contract disputes with the Oregon Racing Hub which controls Idaho wagering. Then about 4 or 5 years ago, TVG was allowed into Idaho too. Other than that, all other sites, as far I know are not allowed....but then I haven't followed each site so some of that might have changed. I bet with YouBet, because we also have racing here in Idaho, and my money also goes to the Idaho tracks.

I'll have to mention to my friend that Santa Anita will probably be blocking the YouBet signal. I also wasn't so sure if packing a lap top around sounded all that fun.

With the technology that's been out there for decades now, I'm surprised that Santa Anita hasn't put wagering monitors in the seating areas years ago. I think it would have paid off quite quickly....being people sitting there might bet more often knowing they didn't have to get up each time and especially if some horse caught their eye in the post parade.

Impulse betting is probably like impulse buying...that is why stores place candy and mags right where one is waiting in the register line with the shopping carts. :D

Anyway, I know my friend will be doing some pretty complicated tickets...not sure if the 'set it and forget it' way will work if there's a scratch...he'll want what horse he wants, not just have the favorite replace his scratched choice.

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Katy Turner
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Katy Turner »

Because I'm really lame like that, I've belatedly realized I really don't want to drive all the way back home and then all the way back up to LA Fri/Sat. Does anyone know/has heard of a hotel (fairly inexpensive) that might still be taking reservations near the track? Thanks!