Using a laptop connect card

Having difficulties? Ask here.
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Lucas Davenport
Eclipse Champion

Using a laptop connect card

Post by Lucas Davenport »

Just wondering if anybody has tried using this site with a laptop connect card and a laptop.
Was thinking of buying one of the now available Virgin Mobile "pay as you go cards," but........was wondering how fast these laptop connect card really are. If anyone has experience using them for this application their comments would be appreciated. Thank you.

PS: I like to have a "backup" plan for most of my computing. Obviously wi-fi is my wireless first choice.
The Hub Group of Farms: where saving your boarding and shipping dollars is always a priority, especially when you don't know where the next race will take your horse.
Jolene Danner
Hall of Fame

Re: Using a laptop connect card

Post by Jolene Danner »

Laura F uses one. She seems to like it, especially now that we got the shipping fixed for it (thanks HUFF DADDY!!!!)
Kyasuriin Matsumoto
Hall of Fame

Post by Kyasuriin Matsumoto »

I had a huge problem with one while in Kentucky for an internship earlier in the year even though the provider claimed it was able to give me service in that area, it was only one bar worth and sucked terribly. But it was the area and lack of connection that caused the problem. And it was not Virgin Mobile, so you might be better off.
Gateway Farms
Joe Garrity
Sprinter

Post by Joe Garrity »

Virgin Mobile doesn't have their own network.
They sublease space on Sprint's network, so make sure the area you are going to has Sprint service.
I have been very happy with my Virgin Mobile phone but have never tried the connect card they offer.
Joe
Garrity's Voyager Racing Stables LLC
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

I use Verizon, and essentially, everywhere Verizon has wireless telephone coverage, I have internet access via the wireless broadband. So far, the only place I haven't had coverage (and I didn't have cell phone coverage either), was at a half Ironman in the middle of nowhere (woodsy hills surrounding a boat ramp) a couple of months ago. I find it to be quite fast. The thing you'd want to make sure of is that Virgin Mobile/Sprint has good cell phone coverage where you're wanting to use the laptop connect card.
Lucas Davenport
Eclipse Champion

Post by Lucas Davenport »

Thanks all. I had a cheapo Virgin mobile phone for a while and their coverage was less than the full Sprint network. For example, fishing is West Yellowstone, my son had Verizon coverage while dad had NO coverage with Virgin Mobile. Plus, I read Best Buy's in house consumer reviews of the Virgin mobile laptop copnnect card, and they generally were not favorable: complex hook up; couldn't get it to work, had to call tech support, etc. So I think my backup plan is still to find the nearest Starbucks or Panera. Once again, thank you for your assistance.
The Hub Group of Farms: where saving your boarding and shipping dollars is always a priority, especially when you don't know where the next race will take your horse.
Dana Williams
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Dana Williams »

I used to use a connect card from US Cellular. My house has a hard time with cell phones but I coud be online most of the time it was just SLOW. I recently switched to Embarq DSL and bought a wireless router for my laptop. I'm very happy with my service now and I have heard Verizon is great.