Mating Advice

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Matt Woolfolk
Classic Contender

Post by Matt Woolfolk »

I have a mare, Detection(Fu peg X Pulpit mare)

I was looking to breed her to Teton Forest.

I like him because he has a winner from an Ap Indy lined mare, and he brings in Storm Cat to complement the Mr. P in Detection's pedigree. The $1,500 fee didn't hurt his case either.

What does someone else think?

-NJ
Award winning journalist and record-setting trainer
Ronda Figal
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Ronda Figal »

humm.. looking at yoyur mares grand dam as your mare i s still unproven i noticed that she crossed beautifully with Battle Cry to produce Lucifer..also teton forest is still trying to decide if he throws long or short runners and your mare is bred long on both sides..so if she were mine id be looking for a long running battle cry grandson or great grandson who likes the turf.
Ronda Figal
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Ronda Figal »

i'd save the money and send her to Gothic Dream if she were mine...
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

Ronda's suggestion of Gothic Dream is a good one; there's a lot to like about adding some Battle Cry to this pedigree, particularly turf-oriented Battle Cry. That makes Canute appealing as well, but he might be a little bit pricey for your tastes.

The issuse I have with Teton Forest for this particular mare is that your mare (based only on her pedigree) seems like she ought to have some stamina and should have enjoyed the turf. That said, you'll notice that I'm listed as the mare's breeder, and I've had more success with the family on DIRT. Its all very complicated, but you should be looking for a versatile, proven stallion, or a really appealing cross to a stallion that *should* be pretty versatile. I'm not all that excited about what Al Nasr and Pleasant Colony bring to this pedigree in terms of this particular mare, and I'm not yet sold on Teton Forest as a sire. Your ideas are valid, they're just not an experiment that I'd take.

I'd instead be looking to do one of two things:
1) Replicate crosses of Fusaichi Pegasus-line mares that have produced winning 2yos this season.

2) Pick a classy, versatile stallion and just roll the dice.

Taking the first approach, Ichi Forever (FuPeg x Really Excellent) mares have produced a pair of winners from Unbridled stallinos (Wheelaway and Broken Vow). Either of those two, plus any other Unbridled-line stallions, might be appealing and offer some rather interesting inbreeding to Mr. Prospsector. Broken Vow, Niigon, Eddington, Harlington, etc. also give you at least some opportunity to transfer that form to the turf.

The second approach involves looking at stallions like Five Circles, Midnightconfession, Gothic Dream-Fading Dreams-End Result, etc. Some of those are cheaper than others, and but they're all viable options here.
Nikki Everdeen
Hall of Fame

Post by Nikki Everdeen »

Since I own Teton Forest, of course I'd LOVE to see a FuPeg mare bred to him, and she has a nice pedigree. However, I've taken to thinking of Teton as more of a sprint sire, especially since that's what he did in real life. The FuPegs in the SIM are confusing me a bit myself, as I own two of his mares, and still haven't decided who to send them to, either, so I can't be much help. However, I'm glad that you took a look at Teton, and please keep him and my other stallions in mind in the future!
Inspiration Stud
Standing quality Appaloosas, Arabians, Paints, Quarter Horses, and Thoroughbreds
Matt Woolfolk
Classic Contender

Post by Matt Woolfolk »

Thanks guys. I like the idea of Wheelaway. He has some promising runners on the ground, and he fits my price bracket. Gothic Dream is just too pricey for me at the time.

Thanks for your help.

And Nikki, Teton has a boy running in a stake at CD this weekend. Lost in the Forest is in the Matt Winn ( he's my lil sprinter boy). You should check him out.
Award winning journalist and record-setting trainer
Nikki Everdeen
Hall of Fame

Post by Nikki Everdeen »

Good luck with your colt in the stakes race! I have all of my stallions' offspring on my Alerts, so I keep track of them all already. ;)
Inspiration Stud
Standing quality Appaloosas, Arabians, Paints, Quarter Horses, and Thoroughbreds