Newspaper Coverage Of The Breeders' Cup

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Mandy Saunders
Eclipse Champion

Post by Mandy Saunders »

It has come to my attention that several newspapers felt the need to show graphic, gruesome pictures of poor Pine Island...some in color. My own newspaper, the Washington Post, ran a picture where you can clearly see the bone protruding out of the leg as she fell. I have written a very angry letter expressing that anger and disappointment to the editor of the Washington Post and strongly urge others to do the same with their newspaper providers if those types of pictures were published.

I understand that they're trying to get the tragic story that makes front page news...but that is *not* how to go about doing that. We don't need that kind of publicity...not after Barbaro. That's just...so utterly disappointing. >:(
~ Mandy ~

Click here to visit The Stallions of Lakeside!

Last updated: Year 26, Break - Wow, it's been awhile, I need to get on that, lol

RIP Shelly & June...I will love you, always.
Sarah Anne
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Sarah Anne »

The same thing happened with my paper. The break was very obvious and it was clear that she was in a ton of pain. I too have written a letter saying that I am very dissapointed and angry that they published this in their paper.
Mallory Claire

Post by Mallory Claire »

Not one, but two pictures, one in color, of Pine Island's broken leg in the LA Times. One on the front page of the Sports section.

Very, very sad.

I don't know what their exact purposes are for showing these pictures all over, but in my opinion, they make the reality of the tragedy of the sport that much real, especially to those who aren't too familiar. Think about the press Barbaro got. It's bringing the dangers and calling out the ethics of racing in a very public forum. The journalist in me thinks these pictures SHOULD be shown. Hopefully we'll see some changes; polytrack is obviously a step in the right direction.

On a side note, I believe Sports Illustrated showed some downright nasty pictures, and many of them, of Go For Wand breaking down, back then. It's nothing new. I believe we should think about the purposes of showing these pictures so brazenly before condemning them. Horse racing is a very controversial sport with animal rights activists. It is undeniable that the sport ruins many young horses yearly, and those who are not physically crippled face an array of psychological problems.

Add the breakdowns to the mass production of Thoroughbreds that make up 30% of the horses slaughtered every year, and it's a nasty picture. I know this is probably a massive debate, one I don't particularly care to hear. Bottom line, I'm a much bigger fan of SIM racing than real racing these days. I, a lifelong amateur race fan, have been jaded.
Nikki Everdeen
Hall of Fame

Post by Nikki Everdeen »

I was paging through the Metro (free paper) this morning on the train ride to the city, and was completely thrown by the sudden picture of Pine Island in there. I really didn't even think about seeing it today, as it's been a few days since the race. Yet, there it was... It wasn't the gruesome shot of her flipping over that I've seen, it was the one of her standing there, but I was still shocked to see it.
Inspiration Stud
Standing quality Appaloosas, Arabians, Paints, Quarter Horses, and Thoroughbreds
IsaP

Post by IsaP »

They cover horse racing in newspapers???

I've seen the TC covered, but not the BC... I guess that's one of the 'joys' of living in North Carolina. It's more important to see stupid cars racing than horses.

I hate NASCAR

EDIT: I have to give props to USA Today. Online, they show a picture of the breakdown, but they had enough couth to show a shot where you can only see the jock on the track and the horse's head. They had enough sense not to show the injury to the horse itself.

Nother Edit: Check that, they describe in horrid detail Go For Wand's injury. You know, I'm personally sick of newspapers.
LaDonna King
Eclipse Champion

Post by LaDonna King »

i personally hate that they show the gory pictures....but there's nothing i can do about it. i hate that kids are exposed to those pictures, but they are exposed to worse every day. they show horribly graphic photos of dead people in iraq...i remember the pic they showed when i believe it was sadam's sons....they might be evil people, but kids just shouldn't be exposed to stuff like that. the papers show pictures of vehicle wreck victims...the newspapers will do anything to make a story, even if it includes printing the worst pictures.
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

Just saw this thread, but had to add my two cents. The Courier-Journal had two terribly gruesome pictures of Pine Island in the Sunday editions last weekend. I couldn't believe a newspaper that provides otherwise solid coverage of horse racing would run such a terrible photo. I'm not sure what to do about it, but I thought I'd add my disgust here.
"John Slotman and <name redacted> are always sooooo amazingly generous with new and struggling players- I think we all thank you!" - April Eddy, 3/6/2012
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

Amanda Saunders wrote: I understand that they're trying to get the tragic story that makes front page news...but that is *not* how to go about doing that.  We don't need that kind of publicity...not after Barbaro.  That's just...so utterly disappointing.  >:(
Consider that maybe it IS the publicity we need. Its not comfortable to hear that, and that commentary is sure to spark ridiculous outrage, but consider the example of Nascar and Dale Earnhardy's death. Nascar took the Dale's death and turned it into a mandate to enact sweeping safety reforms, and if it takes newpapers and the national media bashing it over horse people's heads EVERY time horse racing takes the national spotlight, someone will get the message, and figure out how to make sure its not their name, their barn, their silks, their racetracks associated with horses breaking down.

I'm as unsettled by it as the next person, but what does a non-horse racing viewer think if Pine Island's death is glossed over with an "Unfortunately, the race's post time favorite, Pine Island, was injured during the running of the race and had to be euthanized."? They think "Gee, I've heard about horse racing THREE times this year. The first was the Derby, which was ok. The second was the Preakness, when that Barbaro horse was horribly injured, and now they're covering up that it happened again? What are these people doing to their animals?" Cropped pictures don't convey the message, either. I know and almost anyone reading this thread knows that when a racehorse falls over running at top speed, there's something SERIOUSLY wrong. You know and I know that a horse can't live with three legs, and a significant injury to one leg means death in many cases. Does the average newspaper reader grasp this? Clearly, no. The average newspaper reader probably has never been around horses; the closes approximation for them is a dog, and my dog has fallen over plenty of times without shattering her leg. The average reader sees a picture of a fallen horse and jockey, and doesn't get it, even if they READ later that the horse had to be put down. They don't GET it until they SEE it, and get the same sickening feeling in their stomach that we all get already.

Once they "get it," racing doesn't get a 'free pass' to exist in its own alternative universe anymore, and has to DEAL with the problems. There are two sides to every story, and unfortunately, as an industry, we can't complain that the industry doesn't get enough publicity and then complain that we don't like how it gets publicity when it gets publicity. If you have a product that you want the world to see, you darn well better make sure that you show the world what you want them to see. You don't go to newspaper editors and say "oops, that wasn't supposed to happen, so lets try and keep that out of sight a little bit and just talk about the good stuff." Unfortunate things happen in all sports, and its on the shoulders of the racing industry to get their product to the point where breakdowns are the exception rather than the norm, just as serious (life threatening) injuries are the exception rather than the norm in football or Nascar. Its not on the shoulders of newspaper editors to have to pick and choose from its photographs to portray the sport in the best possible light or to dodge tough issues; if you think that's their job, you'll be hard pressed to find a job at any newspaper with any sort of subscription base.

Maybe the letters shouldn't be letters expressing dismay that the picture was published in the first place, but letters expressing people's support of tracks converting to Polytrack or other synthetic racing surfaces that have significantly reduced the numbers of breakdowns. Maybe the letters should direct people towards foundations and research organizations trying to find ways to prevent injuries like Pine Islands, organizations that the Phipps family has reinforced their committment to after Pine Island's injury.

Obviously, an injured horse is a gruesome, sickening, disgusting sight, but just because we don't WANT to look at it doesn't mean that it shouldn't be covered in all its detail, and the best way to convey the seriousness of the situation is with a photograph. The newspapers do their job, now the racing industry needs to start waking up and doing theirs, and eventually maybe the photos on the front page will be of Invasor or Ouija Board winning their respective races rather than pictures of Pine Island or Barbaro suffering their respective injuries.
LaDonna King
Eclipse Champion

Post by LaDonna King »

but.....people who don't "get" it also think of horses in the same category as cattle...they are just livestock to most people. they are not held in the same regards as dogs or cats.
Brianna McKenzie
Eclipse Champion

Post by Brianna McKenzie »

I'm all for press. I'd RATHER see a pic of Invasor that's for sure but I watched the race, and the replay, I don't need to see it still life too.

When a race car driver dies.. It is ALL over the news.. When there's a fatal accident on your local highway, it's in the news paper. People don't just JUMP to the conclussion that car racing isn't safe or driving to the store to get milk is going to get them killed.

People need to see tragic things to really understand. Why ELSE do people slow down to stare at fender benders? Deep down, we LIKE to know what happened.

The ONLY place I've ever heard comments about horse racing being cruel was in a riding barn. (I took great offense, it ended badly.) The general public knows horses aren't made of steel and that sometimes they break a leg.
Emily Mitchell
Hall of Fame

Post by Emily Mitchell »

Check it out: <a href='http://opinions.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=36380' target='_blank'>http://opinions.bloodhorse.com/viewstor ... d=36380</a>

A "durability index" for stallions! That would so rock.
RIVERSTONE FARM ~ Home of Champions ~ Farms in Kentucky, Germany, and Japan ~