Barbaro

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Alysse Peverell
Hall of Fame

Post by Alysse Peverell »

Yeah, because somebody is going to spend $300k on A.P. Indy, who is a racehorse stallion (not a jumping stallion), and not race the horse. That's really believable, especially when you can go to a sporthorse Thoroughbred for a fraction of the cost and the stallion will actually be intended for that purpose.
Ali Weasley
Hall of Fame

Post by Ali Weasley »

Alysse Jacobs wrote: Yeah, because somebody is going to spend $300k on A.P. Indy, who is a racehorse stallion (not a jumping stallion), and not race the horse. That's really believable, especially when you can go to a sporthorse Thoroughbred for a fraction of the cost and the stallion will actually be intended for that purpose.
I'm with Alysse on this one.

I won't go into my opinions on the TB industry as far as AI goes, but I can't fathom in a million years Lane's End allowing a sport horse mare into AP Indy's book. I don't intend to flat out say someone isn't telling the truth, especially when I don't know the person... but I'm not falling for it.

If, in fact, you're telling the truth, I hope your Indy filly brings a huge price tag at auction to bring back the stud fee...
Anna Leroux
Hall of Fame

Post by Anna Leroux »

All I know is my parents once in very few years or so go top dollar for a stallion, not every year some years we go to lesser known stallions, we went to one I don't remember his name (I was about 9 or so) for 30,000 but we never went back to him. And then of course we did the AP foal again they were going to race this foal because they've lately (in the last 5 years or so) been thinking they want to go into racing, we've had a few foals go to race mainly claiming ranks (not foals we've kept ones we've sold) and they want to race but I don't think they ever will and I don't plan on carrying their business simply because I don't want to breed at all I just want to buy, train and sell which is what I've always been into. I don't even pay attention usually to breeding when I buy a horse or pony. I usually go with my instinct which sometimes is good and sometimes bad which I guess is true even in racing you buy a horse that doesn't always turn out to be a great horse and you can lose money. And when the filly goes to auction yea we'll prolly loose money but that's what happens sometimes. I really don't mind if we loose money on this particular filly I'd just like to see her go to a really excellent eventing or jumping place (my parents may not see it that way!)
Ali Weasley
Hall of Fame

Post by Ali Weasley »

Jade wrote: All I know is my parents once in very few years or so go top dollar for a stallion, not every year some years we go to lesser known stallions, we went to one I don't remember his name (I was about 9 or so) for 30,000 but we never went back to him. And then of course we did the AP foal again they were going to race this foal because they've lately (in the last 5 years or so) been thinking they want to go into racing, we've had a few foals go to race mainly claiming ranks (not foals we've kept ones we've sold) and they want to race but I don't think they ever will and I don't plan on carrying their business simply because I don't want to breed at all I just want to buy, train and sell which is what I've always been into. I don't even pay attention usually to breeding when I buy a horse or pony. I usually go with my instinct which sometimes is good and sometimes bad which I guess is true even in racing you buy a horse that doesn't always turn out to be a great horse and you can lose money. And when the filly goes to auction yea we'll prolly loose money but that's what happens sometimes. I really don't mind if we loose money on this particular filly I'd just like to see her go to a really excellent eventing or jumping place (my parents may not see it that way!)
Do your parents just breed horses, or do they have other forms of income? You don't have to answer, of course, but I'm interested in how they could stomach spending $300,000 on a sport horse prospect. Are you sure it wasn't a son of Indy?
Peihe Sun
Eclipse Champion

Post by Peihe Sun »

How many years ago was the cover? Wasn't AP Indy's fee just recently raised to 300k? However, he's still pretty expensive, and spending that much on a sport horse does seem excessive.
Warpath,
Faithful, Light of the Moon,
Unashamed, Clear Blue Sky
Alysse Peverell
Hall of Fame

Post by Alysse Peverell »

Indy has been 300k for a fair few years now. Even before that, he was still a six-figure fee.

The funny thing is also, if going for speed, Indy is not exactly the stallion of choice.
Jolene Danner
Hall of Fame

Post by Jolene Danner »

Alysse Jacobs wrote: Indy has been 300k for a fair few years now. Even before that, he was still a six-figure fee.

The funny thing is also, if going for speed, Indy is not exactly the stallion of choice.
MAybe they were going for the Belly factor... hehehehehe. I know people who are serious race horse breeders that don't even get into Indy's book.
S.C. Burns

Post by S.C. Burns »

This topic seems to be very close to turning nasty.

I'm done with it. Maybe it would be best if everyone was, as well.