Just Wanted To Say Hi!

Advice and Other Goodies for Newbies
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Jenn Larson
Two Year Old

Post by Jenn Larson »

I joined the game not too long ago, but I wanted to make it official and post on the forum :D. I've been lucky enough to pick up a few horses for good prices on the boards (a special thanks to Eric Nalbone who put his gelding Plaque up on the boards for such a wonderful price!). I was wondering if anyone has any advice for managing a new stable? I have 2 broods, 2 yearlings, and a foal, and 5 horses that are racing. Do people usually invest in a lot of racers up front, or do they get like 5 and just try to build up some funds? Thanks for any advice!
Anna Leroux
Hall of Fame

Post by Anna Leroux »

Welcome to the game Jenn! Just remember not to over race your horses... and you can always if you want claim a horse or two I sent a gelding your way that you can hopefully win some on... he's a nice gelding with a win already under him... I'm having a hard time figuring him out but maybe you can!
Carolyn Eaton
Hall of Fame

Post by Carolyn Eaton »

How big you build your barn depends on how much time you want to spend, and how aggressive you are at different revenue sources - good ways to pick up cheap horses are to check out the buy horses on Tuesday & Thursday evenings when the auction block horses come up - they can range from $500 for an older gelding to $5000 for a decently bred 3yo. Then you can race them or pin-hook (put them back on the buy horses page at a higher price). You can also watch the claiming races and pick up some decent younger horses and fillies/mares. I like looking for filler races - unfilled races that need a horse or two - so the horse is guaranteed a check.
I'm just here for the fun of it
Nikki Everdeen
Hall of Fame

Post by Nikki Everdeen »

Are Tuesdays and Thursdays really the times that new horses are put up? I've never really noticed a trend, although I have missed quite a few nice ones that were put up Thursday nights while I'm at bowling...
Inspiration Stud
Standing quality Appaloosas, Arabians, Paints, Quarter Horses, and Thoroughbreds
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

There's no set times for when horses come up on the sales page - I did some last night while waiting for my class.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Nikki Everdeen
Hall of Fame

Post by Nikki Everdeen »

The Steward wrote: There's no set times for when horses come up on the sales page - I did some last night while waiting for my class.
That's what I figured. I specifically remember buying a couple on a Friday a few weeks ago, because I bought them when I snuck on the internet while at work, and I only work Fridays.
Inspiration Stud
Standing quality Appaloosas, Arabians, Paints, Quarter Horses, and Thoroughbreds
Carolyn Eaton
Hall of Fame

Post by Carolyn Eaton »

I've just noticed that's when they tend to be coming up (probably late afternoon your time, evening for me)
I'm just here for the fun of it
Jenn Larson
Two Year Old

Post by Jenn Larson »

Thanks for the advice! And thank you Jade as well. I look forward to trying to figure the gelding out!