Rune's Headshot... Now new Appy too!

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Madelene Gilbert
Hall of Fame

Rune's Headshot... Now new Appy too!

Post by Madelene Gilbert »

Yay! Rune has a headshot now! :D I started this during the break but just kinda forgot about it until today. Oh the joys of being out of school, jobless and bored...

Anyway, I still can't get the eyes quite like Dave's and there's too much shading (my brushes didn't like me), but this one is definitely an improvement over my last attempt.

Enjoy!

EDITED TO ADD:

New headshot of my Appy filly Eagle Pointe. Only took me 4 hrs this time, even with the spots (silly things threw me for a loop)! Anyway, I thought I'd go for a challenge. Hopefully Dave won't notice. ;)

So Miss Steward, do I win? :D

p.s. Can you ask Dave what font and size he uses for the halters? I know mine don't look right...
Last edited by Madelene Gilbert 14 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Re: Rune's Headshot

Post by The Steward »

What I like about it is that it actually looks freaky much like Rune!

My "change" for it would be the halter - especially the nameplate. Its kind of low and the buckle twists low to one side.... of course, Dave is still always trying to improve his halters too, and says they are the hardest part!
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Madelene Gilbert
Hall of Fame

Sorry about the edges! That's just how the image saved at that size. I blew it up to an 8x11 and had to sharpen the edges cuz they were blurry. :D

That stupid halter is seriously the worst part. Because the head is at a weird angle, the halter looks rather crooked (my bad). I know the buckle is a bit off and the side piece actually "sags" (hence the twist). I couldn't get the name to match the size of the nameplate without warping the text and rendering it unreadable. But oh well!

And funny you should say that Em! I slapped a star on her at the last minute, so I hope that matches her file. I used Saga's headshot as a reference (as well as your SC article from last year).
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

WOW!

I was just going to ask "how come I didn't get a huge headshot!" but then I realized... you did it haha. That is really awesome!
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

I'm also curious how long it took you!
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Michelle Calderoni
Hall of Fame

Post by Michelle Calderoni »

I wants!
Pegasus Feathers International -Dubai
Edward Cullen -$35k | Fleet Admiral -$35k | Visine -$10k
Champions Producing Champions
Abe Froman
Hall of Fame

Post by Abe Froman »

Nice work..Sometimes I wish we could know what our horse is 'supposed' to look like...i.e. star, blaze, markings, etc
Kim Plausible
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Kim Plausible »

This is really gorgeous! Well done!
Send me requests for Feature Race articles!
"Thinking for me rarely ends in fewer than 300 words."
Madelene Gilbert
Hall of Fame

I haven't done a headshot in several months. Needless to say I was very much out of practice. So it took me all told maybe 30 hours? I worked on it at least 5 today to finish it up. Of course, I'm a perfectionist and ended up redoing several elements because I didn't like the way it looked. And since that includes the mane, forelock, eyes, nose, halter and neck, I basically did it two or three times over. If I can work on getting the process streamlined hopefully I'll take less time... ;)

But thanks for the feedback! I'm glad you guys like it! :D
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Alright, now, if you can do them that good and in 2 hours each, you're hired!! :-D
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

Is there plans to ever have a way so we can have details about what our horse may look like outside of bay, chestnut, black? Like.. maybe... "16H Bay with 3 socks, star" or "flaxen chestnut with snip". Or was it designed so that we don't know on purpose? I've always wondered if its just like numbers assigned to each marking and when a horse has that number, you guys decide what the marking looks like.
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Cathie Morris
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Cathie Morris »

That headshot is fantastic! Awesome detail on the star. :)
True North By The Sea
Ohio Blue Paint Sprinter
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

Excellent work Maddy-

*pssst-don't tell Dave*
Madelene Gilbert
Hall of Fame

Re: Rune's Headshot... Now new Appy too!

Edited to add my newest headshot. It's in the first post! :D
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Re: Rune's Headshot... Now new Appy too!

Post by The Steward »

For this one, if he'd sent it to me, I would say (well I'm saying it nicer to you because I'm typically rude to him), to lighten up the inside of the eye (because of people's monitors, I always want to make sure people can see their horse's "soul" I would tell him that there's almost no definition in the neck and to change that, and to cut off some of the outside eye bump. Also that the near ear is too small relative to the outside ear.

But I always tell him nice things, too, so I would tell him great mouth and chin and that I especially liked the spots between the eyes. :-)

We sometimes get complaints that our throat latches are too tight, but it's always just an outline of the reference, and doesn't usually bother me.