Rune's Headshot... Now new Appy too!

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Madelene Gilbert
Hall of Fame

Re: Rune's Headshot... Now new Appy too!

Post by Madelene Gilbert »

Thanks Em! I made some changes, loading the new image now! :D

p.s. funny you should mention the eyes. I actually toned down the opacity because I thought they were too bright...
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

Eagle Pointe is fantastic! Good job!
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Btw, Maddy, Dave wanted to know if you used that tutorial he posted a while back to do these. If not, you might want to check it out anyway! :-)
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Ara Davies
Hall of Fame

Post by Ara Davies »

I hadn't actually looked at that tutorial until now. I must say, Dave is as talented in explaining something rather complicated as he is in actually making the headshots. Now I feel like I could try a headshot of my own, except for the fact that my artistic talent extends only to angry stick figures. They are at least BELIEVABLY angry.

A sample of my work:

I have decided to entitle it: "Lee Jordan's Reaction to Gryffindor Losing The Quidditch Match to Hufflepuff, November 1993".
You're not getting a dead button...in fits of rage, John Slotman and Ara Davies and Jolene Danner would literally kill half their barns.
- The Steward

That's my new motto: Don't quit, just shut up.
- Bryan Doolittle
Josh Lamp I
Hall of Fame

Post by Josh Lamp I »

Ara Davies wrote:I hadn't actually looked at that tutorial until now. I must say, Dave is as talented in explaining something rather complicated as he is in actually making the headshots. Now I feel like I could try a headshot of my own, except for the fact that my artistic talent extends only to angry stick figures. They are at least BELIEVABLY angry.

A sample of my work:

I have decided to entitle it: "Lee Jordan's Reaction to Gryffindor Losing The Quidditch Match to Hufflepuff, November 1993".
this post is so out there that i laughed pretty hard, thank you!
Don't post anything, it might upset someone.
J K Rowling
Eclipse Champion

Post by J K Rowling »

Wow! Impressive Appy! Got the crazy eyes down pat :wink:
"The way I look at it, I'm not meeting anyone better than Julie K... so what am I missing?"

The Sim: Where the horses are made up and cheating doesn't matter.
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

What is this tutorial that people speak of?
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

http://Ekawa.deviantart.com/art/Walk-th ... 2-77939222

You can find it here :-)

ETA - it's pretty old, and his skills are refined, and he works with CS4 now, but the principles still apply.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Lisa Strummer
Hall of Fame

Post by Lisa Strummer »

Ara Davies wrote:I hadn't actually looked at that tutorial until now. I must say, Dave is as talented in explaining something rather complicated as he is in actually making the headshots. Now I feel like I could try a headshot of my own, except for the fact that my artistic talent extends only to angry stick figures. They are at least BELIEVABLY angry.

A sample of my work:

Ara, you have captured my mood today PERFECTLY
That's my new motto: Don't quit, just shut up.-Bryan Doolittle
Madelene Gilbert
Hall of Fame

Post by Madelene Gilbert »

Lol Ara, thank you for taking over my post! That was delightfully awesome!

Em, I have Dave's tutorial saved to my hard drive. :D Every time I do a headshot (since I'm still "new") I have his tutorial, his DeviantArt gallery, and several photos up in multiple windows for references. Which is why it probably takes me a bit longer too... I'm still using CS2 because I'm too cheap to upgrade. The only problem I have with Dave's tutorial is while he has some nice walk through steps, he doesn't show which specific tools he uses and I can't see his workspace. So I've had to adapt my own style in some instances. Hence the "which font does he use?"

I still need practice with the eyes, but my Appy nose finally came out looking like Dave's!
Ara Davies
Hall of Fame

Post by Ara Davies »

Don't say TAKE OVER lol, that wasn't my intention. I just realized that in my post I didn't comment on your own headshots, which I must say are extremely awesome. I am very jealous of both you and Dave for being able to bring these SIM horses to life. Ah well, I guess we all have different talents!

I'm still sort of tempted to try an actual headshot just to see how bad it would turn out. As I told Em last night I could entitle it "El Peg On Acid". Actually this might make a fun "challenge" thread. Not a "contest" because that might discourage people who can't draw from entering. But really it would be fun to see what people would come up with! (I fully expect most of the entries to be quite terrible which would be the point, really)
You're not getting a dead button...in fits of rage, John Slotman and Ara Davies and Jolene Danner would literally kill half their barns.
- The Steward

That's my new motto: Don't quit, just shut up.
- Bryan Doolittle
Kim Plausible
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Kim Plausible »

The font kind of looks like an all-caps MS Serif to me, Madelene. I bet any blocky serif font would look close though!
Send me requests for Feature Race articles!
"Thinking for me rarely ends in fewer than 300 words."