Gallop Racer 2006

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

I personally use the D-pad. I find the analog controls, while they feel more "right", are really hard to get used to; I started out using the D-pad and just haven't taken the time to learn the analog yet.

Tap "up" to go faster (tap twice or more to really accelerate); down to slow down; left and right to...well, you get the idea. (Tapping left or right twice will pull your horse HARD in that direction.)

x is switch whip hands (important so your horse doesn't get "wild" which can definitely cost you the race), triangle is show whip (really useful for winning photos), square is shoulder whip (not as useful) and circle is normal whip.

It takes a few races to get used to it but once you get rolling you'll get pretty good pretty fast. :)
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Jolene Danner
Hall of Fame

Post by Jolene Danner »

I love the hard pull to get out of spots quickly. I also use the D-pad because until 2006 that's all tha'ts worked for regular racing. lol Normally i prefer the analog stick, but i find that gallop racer doesn't require as much finesse as other games.

I love the different whip options. i love to use the should er tap to get him going at the top of the stretch. Then i switch between showing and whacking. ;) I should go play GR2006, i havne't for a while... lol
Michelle Calderoni
Hall of Fame

Post by Michelle Calderoni »

*tears* This thread makes me miss my PS2 and Gallop Racer games. They are all at home and I am here in my dorm. I have class in alittle bit, but I can give you a complete tutorial on this game afterwards. I think I spent upwards of 30+ hours on it so far.
Pegasus Feathers International -Dubai
Edward Cullen -$35k | Fleet Admiral -$35k | Visine -$10k
Champions Producing Champions
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

I put 100+ hours into mine in midsummer when I was a jobless lazy bum hanging around my house.
Now I feel like a massive dork. LOL.

Check out <a href='http://p083.ezboard.com/bgallopracerseries' target='_blank'>http://p083.ezboard.com/bgallopracerseries</a> for some VERY good info. Especially check out the threads that list the real horses in the game:
<a href='http://p083.ezboard.com/fgallopracerser ... =173.topic' target='_blank'>http://p083.ezboard.com/fgallopracerser ... 3.topic</a>
<a href='http://p083.ezboard.com/fgallopracerser ... =174.topic' target='_blank'>http://p083.ezboard.com/fgallopracerser ... 4.topic</a>
Jolene Danner
Hall of Fame

Post by Jolene Danner »

D-pad = Directional pad aka the arrows. :) and the Analog sticks are the joystick things in the center. :)
Emily Thompson
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Emily Thompson »

Oh, I am *dying* to try that game, but I am having a heck of a time finding it anywhere. Where did you get yours?
Michelle Calderoni
Hall of Fame

ASchmidt wrote: I feel kind of lame because I am 30 years old and I bought a PS2 haha. I also bought Kingdom of Hearts 2. I wish I had bought the first one instead. It's pretty awesome though. I put like 5 hours on it already lol

Thanks for the links and tips. I'll be sure to check it out. It seems my problem was that I was going too fast too soon.

And what do you mean by analog controllers vs the dpad? I have the controller that came with the game and I also bought one that vibrates haha. It has two little joystick things for your thumbs you know? Is that analog or what?

I miss the good old Atari days. Life was simplier albeit one dimensional.
Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2 are the greatest games ever invented. You can borrow my KH1 if you want.
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

EmThompson wrote: Oh, I am *dying* to try that game, but I am having a heck of a time finding it anywhere. Where did you get yours?
I got mine at Zellers, of all places, back in May. I've since seen it at Walmart, but still haven't found it at any EB Games or other game stores.
Michelle Calderoni
Hall of Fame

I also have Breeders Cup Challenge. It's so easy to win on it's not worth buying it. If I can find it when I get back home to San Francisco, you can try it if you want.
Emily Thompson
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Emily Thompson »

ASchmidt wrote: Wal Mart in Altoona Pennsylvania :) I tried circuit city and best buy with no luck.
I got mine at Zellers, of all places, back in May. I've since seen it at Walmart, but still haven't found it at any EB Games or other game stores.
Hmmm. That may be why I haven't been able to find it, as I have been sticking to EB Games and Circuit City and even Future Shop (my mortal enemy) in my quest to find it.

Clearly, I will be taking the search to Zellers and Wal-Mart this weekend.
Jolene Danner
Hall of Fame

Post by Jolene Danner »

The BC game does suck. i had 5 turf srpinters and proceeded to win The classic, Mile, Turf, Distaff and Juvie with them. LOL Once i realized that you use the analog stick and not the d-pad... :)
Sean Feld
Derby Contender

Post by Sean Feld »

The BC game is worthless, they were blowing them out last year after the BC at Belmont for like 10 bucks. I don't like GR 2006 because you cant ever go wire to wire, i win almost every race when i let the horse place themselve and start whipping at 2.7 furlongs I win every time. But I really like GR 2004.
Jolene Danner
Hall of Fame

Post by Jolene Danner »

i go wire to wire all the time on GR2006. ;) Of course i make all my horses monsters too... hehehehe :D
Krystle Yanagihara
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Krystle Yanagihara »

Oh, I play G1 Jockey. It's fun, but you're only the jockey. You can't breed your own horses and stuff =(. Still I get a kick knowing my jockey skillz are 10x better than the others ;). I also love the steeplechasing. It's quite addictive. I wonder if they brought it over to America since it's a Japanese game...
Michelle Calderoni
Hall of Fame

Krystle Yanagihara wrote: Oh, I play G1 Jockey. It's fun, but you're only the jockey. You can't breed your own horses and stuff =(. Still I get a kick knowing my jockey skillz are 10x better than the others ;). I also love the steeplechasing. It's quite addictive. I wonder if they brought it over to America since it's a Japanese game...
I have G1 Jockey 3 and as far as I know it's the only installment in the US.