Favorite Gelded Ones

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Emma Lochran
Hall of Fame

Favorite Gelded Ones

Post by Emma Lochran »

With all the talk about Marmaduke, Artillery and Trip, I was thinking about my favorite gelding, Towering, and thought it might be fun to have a thread about all of our cool geldings, the ones that bring home a check most of the time, but get very little glory. So feel free to post on this thread about your favorite guy :)

I almost kept Towering whole, but he's not quite at that level. He's tough and consistent and I know he'll always bring home money. I only paid 23k for him, a very lucky investment :) He's certainly a barn favorite. He'll be trying for another win in the GWC Kelso Marathon this year.
Last edited by Emma Lochran 14 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Emily Klein
Eclipse Champion

Re: Favorite Gelded Ones

Post by Emily Klein »

I was given Myriad (Lightninginabottle - Simply Perfect, by Battle Cry) in Year 20 and he was my first stakes winner! His race record right now is 26: 8-9-5 and he's earned almost $200,000. He's only been off the board 4 times so he's been pretty consistently on the board in dirt mile allowances for a long time. :) He's 8 years old and I haven't decided yet whether or not to race him next year. He races this Friday.

http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=30518
Seagrass Farm
Kyasuriin Matsumoto
Hall of Fame

Post by Kyasuriin Matsumoto »

Chart Your Way is my new favorite gelding in my barn after his last win. I hope he continues to do well for a long while. I'm sponsoring a GWC race now because of him! :D
Gateway Farms
Melissa Mae
Hall of Fame

Post by Melissa Mae »

I have two favorite geldings (which is funny because I despise geldings, LOL!). Sadly, both will be pensioned this year.

Southie wasn't much until he went over the jumps, now he's a consistent check picker upper. I was lucky enough to buy his half sister on Monday (thanks AR) so the line will continue. I'm going to miss this big guy when he retires and he'll be turned out into my pasture. However, he reached my goal of getting him to the 100k mark so I won't feel as bad when he retires.

Jigsaw Puzzle has been another consistent boy and will be running his last race ever on week 15. Being in the money in 14 out of 15 chasing starts is a big feat in itself, I'm just sad he hasn't made it to the 100k mark. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get a sister to keep his bloodline alive in my stable so his line will end with him which is a shame because I love this big guy.

Greentree Racing
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Greentree Racing »

Gabby - I won Menacing with him. :)

Kawaii Atlas - one of my first claimers. Gave me a lot of hope. I am glad to see he is helping his new owner too (won a a G2 on the flat at the ripe old age of 6!)

What a Night - a $1000 horse I bought from AJ. I gelded immediately as he was a terrible maiden on the flat at age 4, so I listened to these geld it pundits. A big mistake - I will never listen again & go with my gut feelings. He was a multiple G1 steeplechasing winner.

Most Admired - another claimer who I LOVE! But probably will be gelded as I doubt he will win a G1.

I really miss these guys!
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

Trip feels left out once again.
"John Slotman and <name redacted> are always sooooo amazingly generous with new and struggling players- I think we all thank you!" - April Eddy, 3/6/2012
Rob Canterbury
Eclipse Champion

Post by Rob Canterbury »

A Float http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=69956 winner of the Los campeones sprint.. and with 449 k in earnings. I love this gelding.
Live Strong- Baltimore crown champion- dirt route
Its a Gamble--MONSTER!
Afriad to Lead-- SC winner
Leigh Ann Anderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Leigh Ann Anderson »

Notimefordreams was an uber consistent horse to have, especially as a new player.

Currently Canned is a big favorite in my barn with his chasing ability.

But my all time favorite is Zonked. The last foal from Awesome Dancer, ended up in my barn when I claimed him. He went on to become my first stakes winner and a fun horse to have. When he retired I wrote a Feature Race article about him.

I love the old grand old geldings, RL and Sim.
Windborn turf router $20000; Nite Skyturf router $18000; Black Tears turf router $5,000; Dream Goodnite turf router $5000; Accend turf router $5000; Independence Hall dirt miler $40000
Katy Turner
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Katy Turner »

Yay, great thread!

My favorite gelding is this one:
Solaro

His record is 15-7-5-0 and he is a multiple graded stakes winner and very cute. :)
Keith Maidlow
Hall of Fame

Post by Keith Maidlow »

I have two favorites:

Tenet is still campaigning strong at 6. I got him for $215,000 and almost chalked him up as a loss when he went five races with no wins. Gelding and stretching him out has yielded 25 races, 7 win (5 stakes, 2 G3) and earnings over $373,000. At 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 miles he still has a good chance of taking down nice purses.

The other is Barbados, now a winning steeplechaser for someone else. He came to me as a four year old for $10K right after being gelded by the previous owner. He had only one maiden win and promptly won the next two outs for me in a G3 and a G2 race. Always near the front he won one more G3 and his initial steeplechase try giving me $267,000 in earnings before selling him on the new player sales page.

Two fun guys for sure.
*Sugar Bottom Stable
John Hannibal Smith
Grade 3 Winner

Post by John Hannibal Smith »

Kyasuriin Matsumoto wrote:Chart Your Way is my new favorite gelding in my barn after his last win. I hope he continues to do well for a long while. I'm sponsoring a GWC race now because of him! :D
Now I have to decide where to run him: http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=73131 - since you've been so nice and added a GWC AW race... I had something else in mind and don't really want to be beaten by the horse that I tore up my claim slip for... but, I may just have to... :D
Anna Leroux
Hall of Fame

Post by Anna Leroux »

Defibrillator is my favorite gelding ever. He was an ok racehorse on the flat but his true change came when he took to jumping like a pro. In 20 Chasing starts he has three wins, eight seconds and four thirds. Of the rest of those starts four were forths and one fifth. So in all twenty starts never worse then fifth, always earning a paycheck. He's an excellent horse that I've enjoyed. I'm glad he's got one more year left to race. There is going to be a huge void in my racing barn when he's gone. It sure would be nice if chasers could race until they were 15! I love having him run. It's fun knowing he's on my schedule for some week.
Kay O. Johnson
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Kay O. Johnson »

Juddmonte. Bought as a newbie for 10,000, he made over 100,000 for me. He raced until he was 9 and is now pensioned at Nursery Stud.
Andy Gol
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Andy Gol »

I was lucky enough to be given Written Proof and since I've gotten him, he's won four stakes races and for his career, he's never finished outside of the top 2 in a race. He's an unbelievable racer and he posted a 78 SF a couple races ago which just blew me away.
Kyasuriin Matsumoto
Hall of Fame

Post by Kyasuriin Matsumoto »

John Hannibal Smith wrote:
Kyasuriin Matsumoto wrote:Chart Your Way is my new favorite gelding in my barn after his last win. I hope he continues to do well for a long while. I'm sponsoring a GWC race now because of him! :D
Now I have to decide where to run him: http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=73131 - since you've been so nice and added a GWC AW race... I had something else in mind and don't really want to be beaten by the horse that I tore up my claim slip for... but, I may just have to... :D
Omg, bring it on! It'll make an awesome race! :D Plus there's no other AW stakes Week 16 except the 1 1/2 Marathon, though there is a 1 1/8 Week 15 (Fri) that I considered.
Gateway Farms