Second Opinion Needed...

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Teri Lawrence
Eclipse Champion

Post by Teri Lawrence »

I got Second Happiness, Storm Cat x Miesque, in the broodmare auction. I am trying to decide whether to:

A. Breed her back to Loup Sauvage, making a full to her current Stakes-placed two-year-old. He's the only available son of Riverman, and Riverman x Miesque is a good nick IRL.

B. Breed her to my own stallion in the hope of producing a good foal to help advertise him. However, the resulting foal would be 2x5 to Storm Cat. I can't decide whether I like that or not...

Any thoughts. A, B, or both in successive years?
Chinese Wizard - dirt router
Docile - turf sprinter and steeplechaser
Ile de Paris - top turf router
Le Chateau Magique - dirt router
Le Dauphin Noir - turf router and European HOTY
Mid Air Collision - dirt miler
Paris Cubed - turf miler and router
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

The rational behind Spelling Error was that Five Circles is Worldly Manner (Riverman) x Miesque cross, and Loup Sauvage is also a son of Riverman; so clearly that cross still works. Whether I'd go BACK to that cross or not is a different story; I'm keen on finding out what these mares can do with a variety of stallions.

Miesque has also had a ton of success to Mr. Prospector-line stallions, so crossing her to a horse like Hawk Wing might be interesting, while the example of a colt named Sandalwood (out of Myhrr, a Mr. Prospector x Miesque mare) makes Artie Schiller a very interesting option.

From what I've been able to find, there's not a whole lot that recommends Le Daupin Noir to me for this mare, but that seems to be more as a result of the fact that there's nothing thats been done to provide any precedent. 2x5 to Storm Cat doesn't worry me very much, I've seen a number of instances of inbreeding this season that have worked fine, so thats not much of a deterrent. If you like that cross, go ahead and take a shot with it.
Teri Lawrence
Eclipse Champion

Post by Teri Lawrence »

The only thing that's a demonstrated cross with LDN so far is The Scarlet Nite, which I don't have any of...I actually made one to eventually breed to him. It's hard to really tell what works with a turf distance horse who only has one crop to race.

I *was* also considering Mr. Prospector, so I may well try Artie Schiller ;-).
Emily Mitchell
Hall of Fame

Post by Emily Mitchell »

Performing Magic is also a Mr. Prospector line stallion who has a 2 y/o stakes-placed winner (Festive Occassion) out of a Miesque daughter.

These have not started yet, but I've sent my Miesque daughters to:
The Scarlet Nite (crossed well with Six P who is a Miesque relative)
Xaar (miler)
First Samurai (expecting miler speed from him)
A Bus (looks to be more of a sprinter though)

Six Perfections has gone to see:
The Scarlet Nite = Seven Wonders
Give Applause (no longer at stud, but Six Signs rocks)
Star Studded (hot miler)
this year... maybe Performing Magic, but probably The Scarlet Nite again

Don't know if that helps much... it's just what I've found appealing. :)

Edit: Oh, and someone like King's Best would be one awesome experiment. He's crossed well with Storm Cat mares (see Sparkle City) and the baby would be 2x3 to Miesque which is HOT, in my opinion. :D Though that baby may be more inclined to sprint... I'm still not so sure if King's Best babies can go a mile.
RIVERSTONE FARM ~ Home of Champions ~ Farms in Kentucky, Germany, and Japan ~
Josh Dutzy
Classic Contender

Post by Josh Dutzy »

wow, i totally missed Second Happiness in the broodmare auction......
Teri Lawrence
Eclipse Champion

Post by Teri Lawrence »

So did everyone else but me, Josh *hides her*.

I decided to go with Loup Sauvage this time, but Artie Schiller and Performing Magic will definitely be considered for *next* year ;-).
Peihe Sun
Eclipse Champion

Post by Peihe Sun »

TeriLawrence wrote: So did everyone else but me, Josh *hides her*.

I decided to go with Loup Sauvage this time, but Artie Schiller and Performing Magic will definitely be considered for *next* year ;-).
I thought she would bring more of a price than Soviet Song, though, to tell you the truth. I didn't even consider Asi Siempre and Bohemian Lady, although i was big fans of them in real life. So she wasn't overlooked, at least not by me. I just thought her waaaay out of my league!
Warpath,
Faithful, Light of the Moon,
Unashamed, Clear Blue Sky
Teri Lawrence
Eclipse Champion

Post by Teri Lawrence »

Just goes to show that you should try. I ended up the only person bidding on her. And there were some other good mares that went really cheap, too.